Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is causing this?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 04:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default What is causing this?

So my original motor went to ****. crank broke into pieces destroying my block. My mechanic was able in finding an LS1 engine with 84k miles is a well maintain condition. Long story short car runs like a champ, like a new car to me. My only problem now is that when I park the car and turn it off, you hear a gushing sound coming from the radiator and water starts to overflow from the engine coolant only. what is causing this? No check gauges lights come on so what can it be?
This only happens after ive driven the car for a certain amount of time. once I turn it off, you hear water running in certain hoses and the radiator coolant coming out of the engine coolant overflow.

Last edited by Mr.z/28; 06-22-2012 at 04:51 PM.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Could be the radiator cap. More likely front steam vent issue or that the system was not properly filled. Make sure that the front steam vent lines have been installed. They are on the front top of the heads & connect the front top of the heads to a high point on the radiator or a high radiator hose. Check the cooling system for low fluid after cooling down. Once it cools down check overflow container to see if it has emptied. Remove radiator cap & see if there is fluid. If not, keep filling; meaning fill, run for 5 minutes w/ heater on, turn off & let cool, fill...etc until there can be fluid seen when cold & fluid remains in overflow container.

Of these, most likely is that it was not properly filled "full" w/ coolant.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

My heater doesnt work nor my ac. I will do this today. Thank you.
Old 06-23-2012, 01:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also, make sure the two hoses going into the radiator neck are in the right order. The one going to the overflow tank should be on top.....I had this same problem and that fixed me.
Old 06-23-2012, 04:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thank you for your feedback guys. I appreciate it alot. I will look for that as well. =]
Old 06-24-2012, 06:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.z/28
My heater doesnt work nor my ac. I will do this today. Thank you.
This could also be adding to the problem. If the heater hoses are hooked up & the heater isn't working, it could be that the heater core is blocked. A blocked heater core can trap air in the coolant lines running to the heater core. If this is the case, get a heater by-pass hose "U" shaped & use it to replace the heater hoses. The "U" shaped hose connects right @ the water pump.

If it's just the heater blower that doesn't work, but the core is ok, then there won't be this trapped air issue. If this is the case, turn the heater on anyway. Coolant will circulate through the core & purge the air out even though the blower isn't on.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

when filling the radiator remove the small water line from the throttle body and add water to the radiator until you see water come out, then SLOWLY pour more water in until it trickles out. This way you know it is full and have no air in the system.