Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

installation time for new cam, heads, intakeifold and throttle body?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 02:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default installation time for new cam, heads, intakeifold and throttle body?

I've recently ordered a GM hot cam, ported GM LS6 heads, a Fast 92mm intake manifold and a fast 92mm throttle body for my '98 Z-28. Provided that everything fits as advertised, what is a good estimate of how long it would take for a good mechanic to install those parts?

Also, what, if any, additional parts are needed?

Thanks for you input.
Old 07-08-2012, 05:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FWIW, I'd say 10 hours, but it took me a week-and-a-half.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by hdvrod
I've recently ordered a GM hot cam, ported GM LS6 heads, a Fast 92mm intake manifold and a fast 92mm throttle body for my '98 Z-28. Provided that everything fits as advertised, what is a good estimate of how long it would take for a good mechanic to install those parts?

Also, what, if any, additional parts are needed?

Thanks for you input.
You will need 99 + valve covers. The 98 valve cover has a different bolt pattern. You will also need different coil brackets. As I recall (way back in 2003 when a shop did heads and cam on my 98 Z28) the coil brackets are different as well.

Of course, this assumes your heads on the engine are still 98's.

Lastly, the 98 rockers were prone to failure, so while you have the heads off I would upgrade the rockers to a later year or upgrade with the Comp Cams trunion kit. I would also replace the lifters to the lastest version along with hardened push rods.

Other: throughly clean the radiator, inside and out (fins) while you have it apart as well as the AC condensor fins. You won't believe how much crud, sand, and pebbles that have accumlated in the fins of both over the years - particularly the bottom rows of each. I suspect by now they are completly plugged with debris.

A good shop will know that you can break the oil sender when removing the intake manifold if the intake isn't removed correctly, so if they charge you for a new one, don't pay for it. As a precaution you might want to make sure one is available locally rather than have to wait overnight to get a new one shipped in. I think the 98 style is unique compared to later years.

The 98 oil pump was prone to failure too, so get a later year oil pump (LS6) or aftermarket.

Last edited by dlandsvZ28; 07-08-2012 at 09:50 AM.