Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head and Cam install begins tonight!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2004, 09:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Head and Cam install begins tonight!!

Would someone mind telling me which gaskets are reuseable, and which ones I need to make a parts run for this afternoon before I get home?

Also, do the parts stores carry that crank bolt?

Also, what did you use to clean all of the build up off of your pistons once the heads were off.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 04-02-2004, 10:47 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My suggestion is to have all the gaskets available even if you don't need them (Murphy's Law). I think only dealerships carry the crank bolt. I used berryman's B-12 chemtool to clean the pistons. Make sure you change the oil afterwards.
Old 04-02-2004, 11:10 AM
TECH Resident

i believe the only gaskets you have to have are the head gaskets. maybe egr if you have that too but i see in your sig that you got rid of it. probably all you need is a set of head gaskets, set of head bolts, and a crank pulley bolt. the front cover, valve covers, intake, tb, and header gaskets are all reusable. also, if your pulling off the oil pump to change out the timing chain you'll want a new pickup tube o-ring.

good luck to you. just take your time and be very meticulous
Old 04-02-2004, 11:20 AM
Restricted User

NO! Do not reuse stock head bolts. They are TTY. Torque To Yield, they stretch to their final "torque" setting. Not cool idea there. Get the new head gaskets from Redline, should have them in stock, $27 or so each for the fel pros, which will also give you .008 more clearance tween P2V. Intake gaskets, dont worry about them. The water pump and timing cover gaskets should be at redline, or checkers. Header gaskets I used from checkers, they have the metallic perferrated ones which can be reused without problems and they run about $28 set. Call the "ET Street" guy he can help you out with any parts resourcing and maybe help if you need it.

Good luck.
Charlie.
Old 04-02-2004, 11:21 AM
Restricted User

If you cant find the crank bolt, let me know, via call, and I can Pat or someone pick it up from my house, but that one will cost you, its an ARP!
Old 04-02-2004, 11:35 AM
Restricted User

A green scrubby pad, light pressure and then vacuum the dirt/dust out of the cylinders.
You will want to use a grinder/dremel to runa groove down the threads of the old heads bolts, one per each size, for chasing the threads. It is incredible how much **** is in those holes. Andrew used paper towel and an air gun to get all the water out, then we ran modified bolts thru each hole. Fun! On assembly, since your getting new GM head bolts, after your initial torque, mark the head of the bolt with a marker, at the 3 or 9 oclock, or whatever time for you, so its easier to get the right amount of "degrees" on each bolt. I found for the pass side it was easier to mark them at 9oclock and then once turned it was easier to see the marker. opposite of course for drvers side.
Fel Pro gaskets are marked with front and top. So that shouldnt be a problem, but always dbl check the water holes arent covered.
Careful pulling the intake off, the first time you will find the vacuum hose locations and their relationship to the oil pressure sending unit, which is fragile.
During install, make sure to seal the ends of the rocker arm bolts with silicone, only needed on the bolts over the intake runner. Some may be ported thru, in which they will draw oil into the cylinder, oil and nitrous dont mix well, and oil makes for good detonation.
Will make sure to keep the cell on, call if you need anything.
277-7246
Old 04-02-2004, 11:38 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks.. Cat

Will do..
Old 04-02-2004, 11:42 AM
Teching In

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Z28Venom
Would someone mind telling me which gaskets are reuseable, and which ones I need to make a parts run for this afternoon before I get home?

Also, what did you use to clean all of the build up off of your pistons once the heads were off.

Thanks,
Mike
Just check out jmX's www.ls1howto.com site on the C5 head/cam swap page, he starts out with a list of parts needed.

If anyone has a part number for an ARP crank bolt, post it! Would also be handy to find a crank bolt that is 1" or so longer than stock, makes pulling pulleys and gears off easier.

Good luck!
Old 04-02-2004, 11:49 AM
Restricted User

Yeah the Fbody write up is there Mike and it shows the modded bolt on there. You might want to get with Andrew today, he can help with the crank bolt removal. You are going to be using a air compressor and impact right? God I hope so, the crank bolt is no joke. With two ppl wrenching, you could have it done tonight.
Old 04-02-2004, 11:57 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by CAT3
Yeah the Fbody write up is there Mike and it shows the modded bolt on there. You might want to get with Andrew today, he can help with the crank bolt removal. You are going to be using a air compressor and impact right? God I hope so, the crank bolt is no joke. With two ppl wrenching, you could have it done tonight.
Yea.. I'm doing it at our hobby shop. All of the tools I need will be there.. Definitely the impact gun. I'm not sure if they have that 3 armed pulley puller..

I'll have to see about getting some help..
Old 04-02-2004, 12:03 PM
Restricted User

Umm yeah if you want to roll it out tonight, get some extra hands in there.
Will take you a few hours with 2 ppl.
Good luck.
Old 04-02-2004, 03:52 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Z28Venom

Thanks,
Mike
your always just one step behind me hit me up on aim tonight so we can compare notes on progress hehe...good luck man and if you have any questions while everything is still fresh in my head feel free to ask.

lata
bill