Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is it possible to change valve springs without air compressor

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 01:47 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default is it possible to change valve springs without air compressor

i did springs for a guy on a mustang recently without an air compressor jus getting the cylinders to tdc was enough. do you guys know if it would be possible on a ls1 camaro. i know hooking up the air lines is gonna be a giant pita. this is my car and im kinda new to ls1s. also whats the best spring compressor youd recomend. i have the one that hooks on and you just screw down the top ***. its junk btw, i fired on spring about a block away rom my house. dual springs just didnt want to grab.
Old 07-22-2012, 02:03 AM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You can do it either way. I always just bring each cylinder that I'm changine springs on to tdc and change them.
Old 07-22-2012, 05:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Yes, I use nothing more than TDC method.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:33 AM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it's a pita; even with the piston at TDC, the valve drops down a bit when your compressing the spring...........not sure why others don't add that info??

on a plus note you can shoot some top end cleaner in there and give the valves a spin in the drill; you can also inspect the valves to see how they are seating(I could see the ex. side only)
Old 07-22-2012, 11:11 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One old trick is the feed a length of pliable rope into the cylinder (though the plug hole), and then move the piston towards TDC (1/4" cotton works good). The rope basically winds up getting squished between the piston and valve (not too tight) holding the valves up in the seats. The only thing to watch out for is making sure the rope winds up under both valves, and don't use too much.

good luck.

Quick Reply: is it possible to change valve springs without air compressor