Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I tell If I have a bent rod?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012 | 09:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by edub80
so going lean at idle caused this problem? how lean did it get? was it tuner mistake or some other problem?
It was going in and out of closed loop at idle.. a little of both. He is helping me fix it. Then we have to figure out why it was doing that. I'm not placing blame at this point.

The guys at TSP are great. I called them and 3 minutes and 30 bucks later I have a spring and pushrod on the way. Hopefuly everything goes well and I dont have to do a rebuild.
Old 07-26-2012 | 07:44 PM
TECH Junkie

If you've still got that bore scope, pull the spring off and put a piece of tape over the end of the valve to keep it from falling into the cylinder. With the cylinder at BDC, let the valve drop and use the bore scope to inspect the head of the valve while twirling it. If it shows any "bend", the head will (definitely) need to come off. Even if there's no obvious bend, it may still be bent enough to not hold pressure.
Old 07-26-2012 | 09:11 PM
ModSquad
10 Year Member

If the valve is bent, it will not come up as high as the 7 others on that bank. The bend will keep the valve down. Use a machinist straight edge, and a feeler guage set across the tops of all the valves at the same time. You are gonna have to remove all your rockers on this head, but it's no big deal. When you get your new spring, you need to do this. Of course if the valve is bent really bad, you can probably see the difference with your eyes. No need to measure.
My take on this deal is this: you broke a spring, which is not uncommon. It was broke prior to this idle cycling, when you noticed this. The broken spring caused the valve/rocker assembly to bind up, and your pushrod bent.
I'd be shocked if it hit the piston. Keep us posted.
Old 07-27-2012 | 09:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

thnaks alot guys I feel much better about the situation nowing there is a chance Its just a spring issue. I also talked with a friend of mine who lost a spring and drove his car about 10 miles to get home. He put in a new spring and all was well...
I say the push rod is bent but it is really not noticeable to the naked eye is is barely noticeable when laying on a straight edge.
This is my first LS based engine. How common is a spring breaking? Should I be worried about the others? Now I'm thinking if all goes well I should replace all the springs.

Quick Reply: How do I tell If I have a bent rod?