Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM CRANK PN 12552216 SAME crank used in 5.3,5.7.6.0 1997-2007........?????

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 01:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Way2Fast
Not true. I used factory rods and pistons. I don't have an ls6 so yep guessing. So FACT is on a 98 LS1 the factory balance was not perfect.

I will guess again that every rotating assembly is not weighed at the factory.

Was it advertised for the Z06 with the LS6 to have a hand assembled engine? I can't remember, but I am sure the camaro didn't have one.
To my knowledge the LS6 was never advertised that way. The LS7/9 used in C6 Z06/ZR1 is advertised that way.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2001 lq4 torn down to the shortblock right now, seems like it was gundrilled, i just glanced at it but i can double check..

I do have a question, will a 2001 lq4 be a direct swap in in my 98 A4 TA? I'm reading something about a wider seal journal on the lq4, will this make a difference?
Old 10-02-2014, 01:42 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bww3588
You have many correct answers in this thread.

I've balanced many ls cranks, just never stock for stock as I don't build stock engines. I've used 6.0 cranks is ls1's and visa versa, but never with stock pistons and or rods, so I cannot give you first hand on the exact weight difference down to the last gram. I'm still trying to decide why this is so critical to you simply because this is useless information.
Damn, man. You take this interwebs thing pretty seriously, huh?

I wish someone had made a little spreadsheet or chart of bob-weights/counter-weights and their corresponding piston/rod weights for each engine. Hell, it doesn't have to be down to the gram, just something close (I see varying chamber sizes for the various heads depending on what website I look at). At least it arms us folks with more-limited resources with some more knowledge prior to handing a pile of parts to a machine shop.

Before last week, I thought I was going to polish my 216 crank and throw it in my '99 LS1. Turns out it's a 6.0 crank and either I need to balance it or re-use my original crank after I turn the rod journals. All simple info that I found while reading. Info that's from '05 and '09 and so on.

Had the counterweight/bobweight info been readily available on some of the "LS1 info websites" I would have seen it sooner and never would have found this thread.

Anyway, I'd love to know if anyone has the numbers that the OP was looking for. I'd consider it NOT useless information.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:32 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by HectorM52
Damn, man. You take this interwebs thing pretty seriously, huh?

I wish someone had made a little spreadsheet or chart of bob-weights/counter-weights and their corresponding piston/rod weights for each engine. Hell, it doesn't have to be down to the gram, just something close (I see varying chamber sizes for the various heads depending on what website I look at). At least it arms us folks with more-limited resources with some more knowledge prior to handing a pile of parts to a machine shop.

Before last week, I thought I was going to polish my 216 crank and throw it in my '99 LS1. Turns out it's a 6.0 crank and either I need to balance it or re-use my original crank after I turn the rod journals. All simple info that I found while reading. Info that's from '05 and '09 and so on.

Had the counterweight/bobweight info been readily available on some of the "LS1 info websites" I would have seen it sooner and never would have found this thread.

Anyway, I'd love to know if anyone has the numbers that the OP was looking for. I'd consider it NOT useless information.
Let's say, there was a spreadsheet for counterweight weights. How would that help you? It's not going to arm you with any knowledge that saves you from taking a pile of parts to the machine shop. Unless you have a crank balancer in your garage. And if you do, the spreadsheet would be worthless anyways.

If you have a 5.3 crank and a 6.0 truck crank laying side by side, a spreadsheet won't help you differentiate between the two.
Old 11-07-2014, 04:29 PM
Staging Lane

so then , can I use a f-body balancer on the 5.3 long block I am installing in a 89 iroc ? or will it shake out the bearings?
Old 11-07-2014, 08:07 PM
KCS

Received 313 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by axld
so then , can I use a f-body balancer on the 5.3 long block I am installing in a 89 iroc ? or will it shake out the bearings?
It should be fine. These engines are internally balanced so balancers/flexplates/flywheels are all interchangeable...for the most part.
Old 04-06-2015, 10:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I found this on google while searching for crank swapping.

In my old 02 z06 the crank bolt spun out (someone reused the torque-to-yield on an engine rebuild), and the balancer came off and damaged the crank. The machine shop I used had a stack of LS6 cranks from building sand rail engines. We used another LS6 crank out of stack, without re-balancing even though the engine had .010" over pistons. Engine ran great for 30k+ miles (was my daily driver) until I sold the car.

The counterweight holes/locations on the two cranks were not the same, which suggests they are not all weighed the same, but then again the engine ran fine despite a different rotating assembly weight - this tells me the cranks are balanced to a generic, middle-of-the-road weight.
Old 05-23-2017, 03:46 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bww3588
Castings are the same, hence the same number. But they are balanced differently and the ls1/6 and the Ls2/3/9...etc had the mains gundrilled as you mentioned. Otherwise, same crank.
I just had a crank out of a 5.3 balanced to my STOCK ls1 5.7 rods and pistons and he had to add 28 grams to the crank shaft
Old 05-23-2017, 09:01 AM
KCS

Received 313 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by abigassbowtie
I just had a crank out of a 5.3 balanced to my STOCK ls1 5.7 rods and pistons and he had to add 28 grams to the crank shaft
Sounds about right. The 5.3L engines are going to have a much lighter bobweight. The bobweight for my Gen III 6.0L LQ4 is about 50g heavier than my Gen IV 5.3L LC9.
Old 03-01-2022, 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by chrisfrost
BTW the 6.2L also uses the 3.622" stroke ,,,,,,,,not sure if it uses the same exact crank or not tho .
​​​​​​I'm new on here but I was wondering if I could use a gen 3 5.3 crank and use it in my gen 4 6.2 for my swap so I could save my self from going thru a hassle with the conversion box or finding someone to swap my reluctor wheel
Old 03-06-2022, 11:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 321 Likes on 226 Posts

I took a good 2002 4.8L, I threw a crank from 6.0 and a mismatch of rods from 5.3 / 6.0 motors with the 4.8 pistons, I reused (did not change) all the engine bearings melling 295 btr stage 3 truck cam I pull it to 6500 all the time in my suburban I've put over 30,000 miles on it already I also have a iron 01 Lq4 with a mismatch of reused bearings, 6.2 stock ls3 pistons and random floating rods The crank is from an l59 5.3 l. This one also has close to 30,000 mi on it. Both engines are really smooth and rev cleanly

I honestly don't believe if anyone was actually smart enough to weigh these cranks the correct way as well as the rods they would actually post the real results on here as far as my experimentation goes whatever they weigh it does not matter
The following 2 users liked this post by stockA4:
G Atsma (03-06-2022), Homer_Simpson (03-08-2022)

Quick Reply: GM CRANK PN 12552216 SAME crank used in 5.3,5.7.6.0 1997-2007........?????