Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!!!! Engine not flowing coolant

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 10:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HELP!!!! Engine not flowing coolant

I have a Meziere water pump that I put on an engine that has not been run in over a year. Finally got the engine fired tonight and check the coolant flow ant guess what, no flow at all. I know coolant is getting through the bottom hose to the water pump, but nothing is coming in the top one. The pump sounds like its pumping, but there is absolutely not flow. Is it the pump, or do I have an air pocket that is blocking the flow. This car does not have a heater or airconditioner, so this is straight from the radiator to the water pump through the engine back to the water pump outlet to the radiator. Again, nothing. If it is an air pocket, how to I get rid of this. Help me please.

Last edited by SS125; 08-13-2012 at 11:31 PM.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:12 AM
12 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You could have an air pocket. Do you have the 4 corner steam tubes or the rear block off's? Try un hooking the steam tube to the radiator, jack the front end up a little and squeeze the hell out of the hoses.

Also, try pulling the upper hose and pour coolant in directly to the water pump.

One other thing to check, If you put new head gaskets on, did you put them on the correct side? If they are backwards or upside down, they will block the water passage from the heads back to the block.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Wired backwards???
Old 08-14-2012, 08:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I thought of the wired backwards, that's not it. Still didn't pump.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:40 AM
Staging Lane

I had this problem on my first startup with a H/C swap. I took the upper rad hose off and poured about 3/4 gallon of coolant in with the coolant crossover hose off and the rad cap off and that fixed it.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Finally, got it. IT was a huge air pocket in the block. I talked to a guy named Jerry at Meziere and he was extremely helpful. Finally, I just put a garden hose on the end of the water pump outlet hose, undid the bottom hose and just poured water through it until it came out. Finally, filled the radiator, covered the overflow tube, put the garden hose in the radiator full blast and within seconds you could hear the electric pump pull down as water started flowing through the radiator. Now its on to the next issue, leaking carb. Don't know where the leak or leaks are coming from but this thing is started, sounds awesome. Some tuning and cleaning and this 2 year project I undertook is nearly complete. Thanks to all of you who tried to help me get water to flow. I truly appreciate it.

Bill

Quick Reply: HELP!!!! Engine not flowing coolant