Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help cam timing question

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 10:42 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help cam timing question

I am swapping cams right now, in the process swapping the stock timing set for a Cloyes hex ajust single roller set. I installed the crank gear at the 2 deg advance position, and the cam sprocket at the necesary mark to maintain only 2 degrees advance (Hex adjust at 0). My question is, when I used a piston stop, and put the gears at exact TDC, the crank gear timing mark (or "dot" for 2 degrees advance) is not straight up, it is at about the 1 oclock position....does that sound right?

Last edited by schmendog; 08-14-2012 at 11:07 PM.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:58 PM
TECH Regular

OK to make the question more simple, with #1 piston at TDC and 2 degrees advance on the crank sprocket, should my crank timing mark be exactly straight up at 12 oclock?
Old 08-15-2012, 09:42 PM
TECH Regular

come on......help me sleep at night
Old 08-16-2012, 07:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I used the zero mark as you can see below, but it should be at the top when setting timing. Are you referring to the key? Having the timing mark at 1 o'clock with the piston at TDC shouldn't be possible using the 2 degree mark as 1 o'clock on the clock is 30 degrees.

Can you shoot a photo?

Old 08-16-2012, 01:31 PM
TECH Regular

yeah I wish I would have before I installed the pump driver (PITA to get off and on) I called Cloyes and Mike there said it sounded right to him. I have the 3 keyway crank sprocket on the advance position (triangle shape) and the cam gear timing mark at 6 oclock. When I installed it I bolted down the cam gear on and spun it until the cam timing mark was at 6 oclock. I put the triangle timing mark on the crank sprocket at 12 oclock and installed the chain. So according to Mike at Cloyes, it is advanced 2 degrees.

What was odd is once I put the degree wheel on and found absolute TDC with a piston stop, and set the degree wheel to TDC, my dots on the cam and crank gear are no longer lined up "dot to dot". This worried me, but Mike says its because the crank gear is advanced 2 degrees.....he convinced me it was right, anyone else think otherwise?
Old 08-17-2012, 09:16 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When the crank keyway is at about 2 o'clock, the dot on the outside of that crank gear will be at 12 o'clock.

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!

Quick Reply: Help cam timing question