Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam install degree?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 09:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by willyfastz
You could get by with dot to dot, but when you get it on the dyno and something doesn't seem right. A good tuners probably going to start asking install questions. And did you degree the cam is probably going to be one of the first. If you degree it and the power doesn't seem right you'll know it isn't because the cam isn't installed correctly.

Measuring the pushrods would be the next thing that most don't do.
I looked up degreeing the cam doesnt seem to hard now I just need to look up info on advancing abd retarding after I figure out what it needs
Old 08-25-2012, 01:58 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I am installing the Trickflow heads/cam kit. Do you have a link for the site you were looking at that tells you how to degree the cam? That is my next step tomorrow after i replace the timing set.
Old 08-25-2012, 07:19 AM
Restricted User

If you are getting a cam that was ground by Comp Cams it will have the instructions in the box.

Also if you use a Pro Gear timing set most likely it will degree in nearly perfect. The Pro Gear timing set is one of the most accurate timing sets you can buy. Normally when you degree a cam and it's off a little it's in the timing set not the cam.
Old 08-25-2012, 07:24 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by DisasterpeaceWS6
Well I am installing the Trickflow heads/cam kit. Do you have a link for the site you were looking at that tells you how to degree the cam? That is my next step tomorrow after i replace the timing set.
Be very careful with the valve train geometry with the TFS heads. Make sure to measure the pushrods correctly and set everything up as close perfect as you can with the valve angles of the TFS heads. Make sure to use good rockers.
Old 08-25-2012, 11:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

I looked a few videos up on YouTube and google.. I got a comp.cam.. Im running stock timing chain you think I should upgrade my timing chain? 1 other question I got a torquer v2 single beehive spings will they hold up to that cam??
Old 08-25-2012, 12:11 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by chevybayboy
I looked a few videos up on YouTube and google.. I got a comp.cam.. Im running stock timing chain you think I should upgrade my timing chain? 1 other question I got a torquer v2 single beehive spings will they hold up to that cam??
If your doing a cam swap I would def upgrade the timing set. And if your going to deg you will need a adjustable set.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by XpEdItIoUs
If your doing a cam swap I would def upgrade the timing set. And if your going to deg you will need a adjustable set.
Cool thanks for all the help guess my rebuild is going to have to wait another month
Old 08-25-2012, 01:57 PM
On The Tree

Be very careful with the valve train geometry with the TFS heads. Make sure to measure the pushrods correctly and set everything up as close perfect as you can with the valve angles of the TFS heads. Make sure to use good rockers.
The heads came to me pre-assembled in the kit. Came with Harland Sharp rockers.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:21 PM
Restricted User

The heads came to me pre-assembled in the kit. Came with Harland Sharp rockers.
I've replaced broken Harland Sharps rockers on TFS heads. TFS moved the valve angle from the stock 15* which changes the loads on the rockers and other valve train parts. So getting the pushrod length correct with a good preload means a lot more with TFS heads than most others. Great performance just hard on parts.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:24 PM
Restricted User

Looks like this question was answered in your other thread.

As for timing sets, this is one of your best options. http://www.progearweb.com/4000/pg4210.htm
Old 08-25-2012, 08:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Looks like this question was answered in your other thread.

As for timing sets, this is one of your best options. http://www.progearweb.com/4000/pg4210.htm
Thanks dude you gave me lots of great info now I know what I need to work to get my engine back together
Old 08-26-2012, 08:17 AM
Restricted User

Thanks dude you gave me lots of great info now I know what I need to work to get my engine back together
No problem, glad the info helps.

Quick Reply: Cam install degree?