Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Picked up TFS 220 as cast...Cam suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 04:04 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bwolfZ28
Alright guys...449/413. I'll post up a graph when I pick up the car later this afternoon.
Is that with the LS6 intake still?
Old 09-14-2012, 05:22 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Those numbers are with LS6 intake and untouched TB. Car pulls like a god dam freight train. I picked up a solid 128rwhp lol from this swap. I'll post up the graph when I get home later. My phone is dead.
Old 09-14-2012, 06:24 PM
FormerVendor

Those numbers are with LS6 intake and untouched TB. Car pulls like a god dam freight train. I picked up a solid 128rwhp lol from this swap. I'll post up the graph when I get home later. My phone is dead.
LOL!

I'm glad you are enjoying it, 128rwhp gained with a LS6 intake, 1 3/4" headers, as cast heads and a untouched tb.

Nuff said.

How's the drivability? I'd like to know what kind of vacuum that thing pulls at idle...you think your tuner will send me a log file?
Old 09-14-2012, 07:36 PM
9 Second Club

the driveability is pretty dam good I must say. No dying and when pulling up to stop lights it stays running perfectly. I don't know off the top of my head what kind of vacuum readings it pulls. I can ask though. My tuner told me to put some miles on it this weekend and if there are any issues we will re-flash any problems we may have. I've got about 75 miles on it so far and all is well. Sooo many people rolling their windows down and saying my car sounds downright WICKED...lol Kinda nice being the center of attention lol. I'm sure my tuner will have no issue sending a log file. I have some people wanting my LS6 intake so it looks like FAST may be in the works in a few weeks. He'll re-tune it for the FAST at no charge.

One of my buddies friends has a 2012 5.0 with a BOSS intake and headers and wants to run me lol We'll see how that turns out. My next mod has to be a clutch. The 1-2 shift consists of roasting my 315 DR's and the clutch slipping simultaneously...lol

Last edited by bwolfZ28; 09-14-2012 at 08:04 PM.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:14 PM
FormerVendor

the driveability is pretty dam good I must say. No dying and when pulling up to stop lights it stays running perfectly. I don't know off the top of my head what kind of vacuum readings it pulls. I can ask though. My tuner told me to put some miles on it this weekend and if there are any issues we will re-flash any problems we may have. I've got about 75 miles on it so far and all is well. Sooo many people rolling their windows down and saying my car sounds downright WICKED...lol Kinda nice being the center of attention lol. I'm sure my tuner will have no issue sending a log file. I have some people wanting my LS6 intake so it looks like FAST may be in the works in a few weeks. He'll re-tune it for the FAST at no charge.

One of my buddies friends has a 2012 5.0 with a BOSS intake and headers and wants to run me lol We'll see how that turns out. My next mod has to be a clutch. The 1-2 shift consists of roasting my 315 DR's and the clutch slipping simultaneously...lol
I have a feeling it's not going to turn out too well for that rustang.

Depending on what you really want to do with the car now will determine what clutch you'll want to use. I honestly prefer a Spec clutch, but some say they are too stiff in pedal feel combined with our adjustable master set-up(don't know if you already have this, but it's a great modification also). I like a stiffer pedal feel if the car isn't a DD and doesn't see a ton of stop of and go, it's a performance car in my opinion and should have a performance minded clutch and not some limp noodle pedal feel.

With the Fast intake, a under drive pulley, a set of 1 7/8" headers, an EWP and a Chris1313 I really think you could knock down 490rwhp if not maybe 500rwhp. Some may say I am dreaming but you've got the torque to do it, you just need to uncork that thing a little more.

I don't know what your lid set-up consists of, but if it's just a SLP lid or something of that nature we could probably pick up 7-10rwhp there.

If you're not looking to make a number and actually do that, at least enjoy it and it surely sounds like you are.

I always say proof is in the pudding. Makes me feel good seeing a customer so happy and gives me a sense of accomplishment for a well rounded package and not a dyno queen.

Now put that dyno graph up in here and make a thread in the dyno section!
Old 09-15-2012, 09:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
I have a feeling it's not going to turn out too well for that rustang.

Depending on what you really want to do with the car now will determine what clutch you'll want to use. I honestly prefer a Spec clutch, but some say they are too stiff in pedal feel combined with our adjustable master set-up(don't know if you already have this, but it's a great modification also). I like a stiffer pedal feel if the car isn't a DD and doesn't see a ton of stop of and go, it's a performance car in my opinion and should have a performance minded clutch and not some limp noodle pedal feel.

With the Fast intake, a under drive pulley, a set of 1 7/8" headers, an EWP and a Chris1313 I really think you could knock down 490rwhp if not maybe 500rwhp. Some may say I am dreaming but you've got the torque to do it, you just need to uncork that thing a little more.

I don't know what your lid set-up consists of, but if it's just a SLP lid or something of that nature we could probably pick up 7-10rwhp there.

If you're not looking to make a number and actually do that, at least enjoy it and it surely sounds like you are.

I always say proof is in the pudding. Makes me feel good seeing a customer so happy and gives me a sense of accomplishment for a well rounded package and not a dyno queen.

Now put that dyno graph up in here and make a thread in the dyno section!
After reading through this its got me highly considering upping the cam size to something in this ballpark. Question is what springs do you recommend & how often should they be changed? Would I need the rod bolt upgrade also?
Old 09-15-2012, 10:17 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by flintwrench69
After reading through this its got me highly considering upping the cam size to something in this ballpark. Question is what springs do you recommend & how often should they be changed? Would I need the rod bolt upgrade also?
I have two off the shelf cams that I designed the profiles for that would put you in the same ballpark as this one with similar lobes.

I have a 231/238 113+3 and a 234/240 113+4. Either are great choices and I think you'd be very satisfied with the control the lobes I use offer and the power output of both with your set-up.

I would highly recommend Brian Tooley Racing Platinum springs or if you're using aftermarket roller rockers like BWolf is then his Max Pressure springs would be your best option.

These lobes are not aggressive by any means that Bwolf is using and aren't some suped up crazy ramp rates either. They do have a quicker opening but being an asymmetrical lobe they have a softer close which allows the valve to be set back down gently rather than slammed back down like the XFI and XER lobe families are known to do.
Old 09-15-2012, 11:52 AM
9 Second Club

Martin,

I'm really confident that the power level will drastically increase with a few more simple mods. I sold my LS6 intake already so I just have to rip it off and buy a FAST. My lid setup is just a plain jane SLP lid which I'm sure is hiding a few ponies. I truely believe that an underdrive pulley, new lid and a Fast 102 would greatly boost the power up there.

I was also very surprised about the torque. It is a well rounded cam. With the 3.42 gears now it doesnt even feel like I have a big cam at all. I have my 8.8 with 4.10s here going in soon so I think that will only make things even better...and of course more tires LOL I ran out to Summit Racing for there scratch and dent sale and when I get back I'll hook up my scanner and get the graph up here.

Flintwrench69: I'm confident that Martin will get you the cam you need. He will treat you like a friend and answer any questions you may have. I would recommend him to anyone.
Old 09-16-2012, 02:48 AM
9 Second Club

I got bored today so I picked up a fast 102 lol

Old 09-16-2012, 03:01 AM
FormerVendor

I got bored today so I picked up a fast 102 lol

Someone's a bit addicted now!

I'm making 473rwhp 419rwtq my guess. Gains in horsepower and torque from 4500-6800.

It's not going to make much more peak torque, but that 102 will allow that cam to really shine and carry that awesome torque it has all the way to peak horsepower.

Man you really do work fast, you're the kind of customer more shops need to have!

I want to see that graph dammit, when do you think you'll be able to take it for new numbers and a re-tune? You going to put some miles on it first still?

This could solidly become one of those 500+rwhp set-ups if you were willing to do it later on. Hats off to you Brian.
Old 09-16-2012, 03:20 AM
9 Second Club

Here is an updated idle video after tuning. It's getting strapped back down Monday and retuned. sorry for the short response. I hate my phone lol

http://i913.photobucket.com/albums/a...54CA7FBD2E.mp4
Old 09-16-2012, 03:29 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by flintwrench69
I just read this again and saw that I didn't answer all your questions.

I would say 30-35k miles with these lobes as they are not super aggressive. I don't think you would need the rod bolt upgrade. This cam has 3 degrees of advance ground into it which helps pull the 234 degrees of intake duration back down to a peak of around 6500rpm with a LS6 intake and hundred or so rpm more with a Fast. I would shift this cam around 6750 maybe 6800 for best results which IMO wouldn't require a rod bolt upgrade if you didn't spin it past that and keep a good tune in it.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:35 PM
9 Second Club

Sorry guys went too long without looking at the graph. It's 441/409. That's with stock ls6, stock unported TB, stock maf and SLP lid. I now have a fast 102/92 on the car and it's going back on the dyno this week.

Old 09-17-2012, 03:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Brian,

heard your car on friday at summit, sounds good.

nice looking fast you got there too.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:40 PM
FormerVendor

Brian, what lift are those springs you're running rated for? Do you think there is any way you could shim them some? I think you're getting some valve float at 6200-6300 which is why that sharp dip is in the HP curve and it doesn't stay nice and smooth and level off. On the other hand that torque curve is impressive.

Take note of how flat that curve is from 4600-5600, that is how you make horsepower gentleman

Quick Reply: Picked up TFS 220 as cast...Cam suggestions?