Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone had a water pump fail and leak air INTO cooling system?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 03:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Did you bleed air out by disconnecting the hose from the steam crossover tube...?
Old 09-13-2012, 04:32 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 353 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by dville_gt
How would you look for an air pocket? I've tried filling it and burping it every different way I can think of.
Just take off the radiator cap and look. When things are working correctly, the coolant level should come up to the bottom of the radiator cap and cover the overflow tube, which should keep a siphon between the radiator and overflow bottle. It should be impossible to put more coolant in directly through the radiator if the level is right.

As you run through a heating cycle, any air will get pressed out of the radiator and into the overllow as the coolant expands. When it cools and contracts, fluid will get siphoned back in to the radiator.

It sounds like your steam tubes, overflow, etc. should mimic this stock behavior. In that case, the system self-"burps" and will work out all air over a few heat/cool cycles.

The only times this self-bleeding wouldn't work is when more air volume gets pressed in to the system (from a bad head seal or from a bad pump) than the amount of volume increase the system sees from coolant expansion during heating.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Something is being missed....and is the reason that I asked for more information about your swap.

If nothing else, there were 2 things that I learned from building my turbo'd fbody:

1) Any electric fan other than SPAL fans are not worth a damn. There is a reason why they are so damned expensive. I learned this after using fans from 3 other manufacturers. The CFM claims are outright lies when compared to a SPAL fan of the same CFM rating.
2) There should be NO air gap around the radiator and the core support opening. All air needs to be routed through the radiator, not around it at all. I had to build a cowling/blockoff and seal it all with foam tape to route all air through the raidiator. After I did this, there is ZERO temperature creep, and it cools down quickly in town when the fans kick on.

Before, it would overheat in town...and creep up to 250 after 20 miles on the highway....even in mild ambient air temp situations.

I suspect this is the same issue that you're dealing with now...not enough airflow THROUGH the radiator fins.

Last edited by salemetro; 09-13-2012 at 05:38 PM.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by salemetro
Something is being missed....and is the reason that I asked for more information about your swap.

If nothing else, there were 2 things that I learned from building my turbo'd fbody:

1) Any electric fan other than SPAL fans are not worth a damn. There is a reason why they are so damned expensive. I learned this after using fans from 3 other manufacturers. The CFM claims are outright lies when compared to a SPAL fan of the same CFM rating.
2) There should be NO air gap around the radiator and the core support opening. All air needs to be routed through the radiator, not around it at all. I had to build a cowling/blockoff and seal it all with foam tape to route all air through the raidiator. After I did this, there is ZERO temperature creep, and it cools down quickly in town when the fans kick on.

Before, it would overheat in town...and creep up to 250 after 20 miles on the highway....even in mild ambient air temp situations.

I suspect this is the same issue that you're dealing with now...not enough airflow THROUGH the radiator fins.

It is in a fox body mustang. The fan is from a 3.8 Taurus, popular fan because it actually flows almost 4k cfm on high. The shrouding is a good point, this new radiator should help with that since it physically will barely fit between the frame rails vs the current unit that has 3-4" on both sides.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

this new radiator should help with that since it physically will barely fit between the frame rails vs the current unit that has 3-4" on both sides.
You just solved the problem.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:27 PM
Staging Lane

no heater, heater lines are looped at the pump. interesting possibility, i don't see any signs that it's pushing a bunch of air into the overflow but i guess it could be.
yeah and I forgot to mention another detail. @26 psi full boost my truck would loose the heater completely which I'm guessing was the big rush of exhaust gas past the gasket displacing all the coolant in the heater core. But At idle and if I drove it easily and kept out of the turbo it was fine.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:00 PM
TECH Resident

You just solved the problem.
I hope so!

Originally Posted by Z28Drifter348
yeah and I forgot to mention another detail. @26 psi full boost my truck would loose the heater completely which I'm guessing was the big rush of exhaust gas past the gasket displacing all the coolant in the heater core. But At idle and if I drove it easily and kept out of the turbo it was fine.
I've only boosted this new motor to ~6psi so far (on the gate spring), once I trust it I'll turn on the c02 and should see 15-20psi.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:58 AM
TECH Resident

well i left the cap off all night and it didn't seem to drop much if any at all.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:34 AM
Save the manuals!

well i left the cap off all night and it didn't seem to drop much if any at all.
It will only drop to the level of the overflow tube. If there wasn't an air pocket when to took the cap off, its sounding more and more like a radiator issue.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:55 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by wssix99
It will only drop to the level of the overflow tube. If there wasn't an air pocket when to took the cap off, its sounding more and more like a radiator issue.
New radiator should be at the house when I get there so I'll try to jam it in there this weekend and see how she does.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

New radiator should be at the house when I get there so I'll try to jam it in there this weekend and see how she does.
Just make sure to "seal" the radiator to the core support as much as possible. I use thick foam tape where possible, and the end result was a HUGE difference.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:18 PM
Save the manuals!

Just make sure to "seal" the radiator to the core support as much as possible. I use thick foam tape where possible, and the end result was a HUGE difference.
This is great advice. The air will always take the path of least resistance.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

A cpl things to consider ,,,,,first does or did the car have a front spoiler ? If a fr spoiler is missing this can and usually does cause over-heating ,,,,,,,,,second a radiator cap not holding the designed pressure will allow coolant/water in the form of steam to go to overflow and out into the air .

Quick Reply: Anyone had a water pump fail and leak air INTO cooling system?