Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lq9 408- f1x combination need advice!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 09:11 AM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

That blower only makes 21-22psi on the baddest F1x combination in the country.

Nothing is wrong with it.

If a 275 radial car can go 160mph to the 1/8th mile at 3400lbs. on 21psi then you're doing something wrong here.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:24 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Technically, the intercooler should drop the pressure since it's cooling the temperature of the charge. PV=nrt. If you measure before and after the intercooler, if the temperature drops, then something on the left side of the equation must get smaller, and since "V" is a constant, then the measured pressure is going to drop as well. No different than the pressure on a nitrous bottle or your tires. Heat it up, and the pressure goes up, cool it off, and the pressure goes down.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:41 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
Technically, the intercooler should drop the pressure since it's cooling the temperature of the charge. PV=nrt. If you measure before and after the intercooler, if the temperature drops, then something on the left side of the equation must get smaller, and since "V" is a constant, then the measured pressure is going to drop as well. No different than the pressure on a nitrous bottle or your tires. Heat it up, and the pressure goes up, cool it off, and the pressure goes down.
Great example and great information.
Old 09-29-2012, 08:03 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Clinc
Well here is the update.. Finally got a different style IC from procharger. It's the vertical flow 1300hp. Had to hassle with them to get it and it was suppose to be the 1550hp IC but they said the cost difference was to much to just give it to me.. BS!! Anyway I tested it out and am seeing a 2lb drop through the IC. Not to bad...

Still think something is up with my head unit now... With the strait pipe (no intercooler) I made 12lbs (intake reference). Added the vertical flow Intercooler I saw 10lbs with the 5.25 blower pulley. So thinking ok, I got this problem fixed decided to start swapping pulleys and see how boost pressures react. Swapped to the 4.75 pulley (should give 5lbs more boost) I saw 13lbs (intake reference). I went ahead and checked pre IC pressure and was at 15-15.5. So still about a 2lb diff.. Not bad..
Next I tried the 4.25 pulley, again should be 5more lbs.. Yielded 18ish lbs in intake about 20lbs pre Intercooler.

Well everything seems to be about right as far as the IC not restricting anymore. But here's the problem.. A 4.0 pulley will max my blower out and I might see 2 more lbs of boost.. To put a total of 20lbs in the intake.. I have a feeling my head unit is not working properly this blower should be over kill for this motor! I will get it on the dyno in the morning, max out the blower and see what it does, have a feeling I will be giving this blower back to PC for some testing..

Before I tell you guys my whole experiance with procharger and give my opinion on the quality of the kits (basiclly before I bash them). I will see if they make things right.. I would hope they will since I live just down the street from them..
You definitely have a problem somewhere. My old '99 Z28 had an iron block 408, AFR 225 heads, our blower cam and an F-1A. With a 3.90 blower pulley it made 18-20 psi of boost with the 8 rib serpentine. We were driving through the converter which is why the mph was so low. This was with a CX Racing intercooler. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 10-09-2012, 09:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New update.. Made 900rwhp today with a new cam that Martin Tick spec'd for me. That's 125hp more then the other cam. also now that I have the correct Intercooler installed I'm not having the restriction problem and am seeing 18lbs of boost. (I made 775 with this Intercooler and other cam). Just a little shy of my goal of 1k my fuel pump is maxed out and only able to rev to 6200 rpm. Will be looking into getting my fuel system up to par and will be tuning and dynoing again. Target rpm max is 7k so I think I will be close to that 1khp mark.

Thanks Tick performance for the good customer service and knowing your products!
Old 10-09-2012, 09:21 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Thumbs up

New update.. Made 900rwhp today with a new cam that Martin Tick spec'd for me. That's 125hp more then the other cam. also now that I have the correct Intercooler installed I'm not having the restriction problem and am seeing 18lbs of boost. (I made 775 with this Intercooler and other cam). Just a little shy of my goal of 1k my fuel pump is maxed out and only able to rev to 6200 rpm. Will be looking into getting my fuel system up to par and will be tuning and dynoing again. Target rpm max is 7k so I think I will be close to that 1khp mark.

Thanks Tick performance for the good customer service and knowing your products!
That's good to hear. It would be interesting to see what it would do with some compression added to it. Bob

Old 10-09-2012, 09:57 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Bob@BruteSpeed
That's good to hear. It would be interesting to see what it would do with some compression added to it. Bob
Yes I agree. I was playing with the specs on the motor and am really thinking its around 8.2 to 1. Might bump up the compression this winter to 10-1. Since I'm running e85 might as well reap the Benifits of it.

Since I will be maxing the blower out at est. 21-22lbs I might have to change my setup to maximize the blower. Since it will cheaper to change compression then change FI setup to produce more cfm. (twins)!!
Old 10-09-2012, 10:00 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Yes I agree. I was playing with the specs on the motor and am really thinking its around 8.2 to 1. Might bump up the compression this winter to 10-1. Since I'm running e85 might as well reap the Benifits of it.

Since I will be maxing the blower out at est. 21-22lbs I might have to change my setup to maximize the blower. Since it will cheaper to change compression then change FI setup to produce more cfm. (twins)!!
That would make a huge difference! Bob

Old 10-10-2012, 09:39 AM
FormerVendor

I told you that cam was all wrong!!!

I'd say that's the highest HP per dollar gain you could find in that combination.

Glad to see it did so well for you!

If you have a graph of the old cam at 775rwhp and the new one at 900rwhp send it to me if you don't mind.

Originally Posted by Bob@BruteSpeed
Bob, when I spec'd that cam out Aaron gave me his build information and we calculated his dynamic at 6.03:1!!! That is stupid low! It takes a powerful motor to turn a big blower like that and it needs compression and camshaft duration to make big power!

We're going to try to get the static in the 10.2:1 region which should put his dynamic at 7.8:1-7.9:1 if I remember my calculations correctly.

In your experience do you think with big blowers and E85, would that dynamic would be optimal?

I think it would be, and it would round out the finishing touches on taking this thing from being way under cammed and way to low compression ratio, to a street roaming monster!

Last edited by Sales@Tick; 10-10-2012 at 09:52 AM.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Excellent thread with good information and positive results. Diagnostics are even more difficult when there are multiple causes of the same problem, right? Subscribed for the final results!
Old 05-01-2013, 09:14 PM
Teching In

Pulled the motor last weekend going to slap a new set of pistons in. Target CR should be 10.2:1.
Also figured out that a 12rib belt on an f1-x will slip a lot! Not recommended I don't care what PC says. Sprayed some belt dressing on it with the belt tighter then a fat guy in spandex. Went from 20-21lbs of boost to 29-30 and belt was still slipping! Pushed a little water so with the high CR I'm going to shoot for 20lbs boost and see what happens. TBC...

Quick Reply: Lq9 408- f1x combination need advice!