Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cam too tight ???

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 04:35 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default cam too tight ???

I had a short block built a few year ago by a speed shop in texas, then the economy went to **** and the car got put on hold. I moved. I finally got to restart on it and when unwrapped found minor rusting so I tore it down and took it to a local speed shop (not the same one) and they ran a brush thru the holes, no problem, except the cam is very tight in the cam bearings, I had to mildly pry to remove and mildly tap on it to install. I have done cam installs before but always into non-new bearings. after install the cam is still tight, I can turn it using the gear but its hard. Is that normal will it were in or should i take it back to the shop for new bearings. It felt the same for the entire installation It wasn't just tight in one spot. new cam, bearings, and yes assembly lube. thanx guys joel

Last edited by joelvette; 09-18-2012 at 04:37 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-18-2012, 04:46 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you try spinning the cam on each journal as you were installing? Mine did something similar and it was the rear cam bearing had gotten a little scarred up on the edge from being installed. I could see the problem, so I knocked the little edge down with a utility knife and all was good.

Good Luck
Old 09-18-2012, 11:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the cam should spin nice and free. like stated above look at the bearings and/or spin the cam on each journal before going to the next and that will tell you what bearing needs to be looked at and replaced or repaired.

Quick Reply: cam too tight ???