Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bought used arf heads on here.. this is what i got.. What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 10:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

thats nothing for damage. some bad *** race stuff get fixed you would not think could be. Everything form heads that are mostly weld, added large bars alum, whole ends cly cracked off, ends or ext sides melted off.
Cut off wheeled 2-5K in valvetrain to get them off the casting. milled,band saw, even hacksawed, casting apart. Hammered alum into spots, hammerd alum out of spots, its all just metal, 2K or 20K on a head. haha

thats just a stock head you can get in 2 days off a shelf, the fast **** people don't talk about, the comp, stock, and headsup guys will repair there stuff. haha

Last edited by studderin; 09-29-2012 at 10:52 PM.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:55 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What did you use to clean your heads up? You got the carbon off good.
Old 09-30-2012, 02:13 PM
Banned

For the head, Basically what i used was the spry seafoam. sprayed it down. Then used a plastic scraper. And scraped away.. I would have to uses a sanding block every so often to re sharpen the plastic scraper since it would get dull fast. Then in some areas to the the thin stuff off i would use a blue non scratch scotch brite. then rinse it off with some water. Wipe it down with a microfiber cloth.. spray some carb cleaner and scraped away some more.... Took a couple hours each head. valves i just ran across the bench grinder with a brass wire wheel. Those cleaned right up fast and easy.
Old 09-30-2012, 03:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Awesome video studderin...I would threw that head off a cliff lol, that's some awesome repair work
Old 09-30-2012, 03:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had also bought a set of AFR 225s used from here at LS1tech, 2k miles on them. I didn't see it in the pics but upon arrival they were burned out between the valves exactly the same way as yours... I had 4 bad chambers between both heads. I was extremely pissed and frankly sick to my stomach.

I contacted Tony Mamo at AFR about fixing them. He said on an NA application, it really wouldn't hurt to run them like that but on a nitrous/blown setup he would not run them. He gave me a ball park estimate of $900+ to repair them. Valve seats would have to be removed and oversized seats installed to fill in the burned gaps..

After several conversations with the seller, he was an honest guy and didn't know about the burn spots apparently... He refunded my money back completely including return shipping. I got very lucky.

After that I bought a new set of Mast heads as I wasn't taking any more chances on used junk.

Personally, I would not run them. I would try to get your money back or have the seller pay for the repair....once he sees the cost of the repair, he will likely refund your money and get the heads back...

***I did not read the whole thread, so sorry if I missed something after the original post***
Old 09-30-2012, 04:04 PM
8 Second Club

Received 700 Likes on 441 Posts

Doesn't say a lot about the original design, does it?

Mine were also used, and there was no evidence of that at all. Probably would be smart to knock that edge down even on a brand new pair. Mine are on the car and running fair.

Ron
Old 10-01-2012, 01:35 AM
Launching!

wow my heads with a 170k miles looked cleaner than that,id go fo a refund also

Quick Reply: Bought used arf heads on here.. this is what i got.. What to do?