Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Insane crankcase pressure/ oil mist/ blow by

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 06:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insane crankcase pressure/ oil mist/ blow by

I have a junkyard turbo 4.8L in a 89 mustang. Mods are ls6 cam, ls9 head gaskets, 70mm/1.0AR turbo. Engine had 48K miles on it.

I'm having this issue where the car is constantly forcably blowing oil vapors out of the valve covers. I first had a breather in each valve cover and the oil was soaking out of the breathers.

Realized the oil mist was excessive so i ran the passenger valve cover back into the TB and ran the drivers side one with a catch can into the port on the intake that it runs into from the factory. Now it just blows the dipstick tube out and blows the PCV elbow out of the drivers valve cover when driving it.

Have yet to do a leakdown or compression test. Going to do that this weekend hopefully.

Any ideas? I was suppecting the rings. Theres a place locally i can pick up another JY 5.3/4.8 for $300 so i was just going to do that.

Any input on what it could be or anything to help that'd be awesomo. Thanks
Old 10-09-2012, 08:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Maybe 248,000??
Sounds like you may have knocked the top of a piston[s] down onto the top rings, broken a piston, run the ends of the rings together...
Lots of "options"
Old 10-09-2012, 08:53 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

if its an old Junkyard 4.8, theres a good possibility it just wasnt all that great to begin with...
its hard to know what you are getting unless you do the work yourself or have a reputable shop build it for you.

honestly, the stock internals were not set up for any boost... so realistically, it completely normal for you to push oil out of the crank case...

have the block redone and pistons and rings made for your turbo...
then you wont have to worry about it as much...
proper rings = proper seal = no oil mist pushing out.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

had the same exact problem with my 6.0 lq4...oil mist and everything...misfire at idle, but would go away on acceleration, wound up being a chipped ring land on number 7.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:01 PM
8 Second Club

Received 92 Likes on 73 Posts

Are you using check valves? Keep in mind that the 2 places you are hooking up to will have positive pressure when in boost.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Motor was $300 bucks. Not worth rebuilding. I'm just going to find a 5.3 to replace it. I'll be tearing it down this weekend to find out what's exactly wrong I guess.

Quick Reply: Insane crankcase pressure/ oil mist/ blow by