Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rocker Clacking

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 08:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rocker Clacking

Here's a video of some clacking I just noticed, sounds like rocker arms, but am not sure. This is my first LS1 and have heard they can be noisy but this doesn't sound right. I got it really good at about 49 seconds into the video. Sounds like a spray paint can being shaken up quickly.

I am not yet sure but from inside the car I think it goes away after about 1800 rpms, although When I was throttling it at the motor it didn't seem to go away, but I cannot confirm the rpms, of course. I just got this car at 65k, now at 66,1xx miles. I don't drive it hard and there was not recently any high rpm event, but I don't know how the previous owners drove it. It has been dyno tuned. Stock internals as far as I know. Oil was just changed at the dealership because I was having the waterpump fixes. It says they put synthetic blend in it if it makes a difference. Drives fine, oil pressure is good/normal.

Last edited by Marc3.4V6; 10-09-2012 at 10:42 PM.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You're right in that you don't know how it was previously driven. I would clean the lifters first, which can be done without major disassembly.
If that doesn't clear things then check the rockers for potential loss of bearings and then the pushrods for straightness.

This assumes the internals are stock.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vettenuts
You're right in that you don't know how it was previously driven. I would clean the lifters first, which can be done without major disassembly. Link If that doesn't clear things then check the rockers for potential loss of bearings and then the pushrods for straightness.

This assumes the internals are stock.
I've never heard of this before...
Old 10-10-2012, 08:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Is it possible that the techs at the STEALERSHIP beat this **** out of your car while it was there. It seems odd that you can't pinpoint anything you personally did to cause this, but it's there right after you got from the dealers oil change...hmmm

I'm sorry if that is the case, but I'd pop the valve covers look for obvious issues like bent pushrod, rocker arm broke, broken valve spring, etc. if you don't see anything there it's time to dig deeper.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:46 AM
Staging Lane

they didnt hear anything at the stealership the whole time it was there?they must have put the new fluids in from the bottom???real attentive techs there,yeah id stay far away from that place
Old 10-10-2012, 10:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

To me it sounds like its either: pushrod(s) or lifter(s).
Old 10-10-2012, 10:48 AM
11 Second Club

Pushrod bent i have heard that sound a few times when i had a standard
Old 10-10-2012, 06:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Dammit, I was hoping to hear you guys say it's normal, lol. Thanks for the input. Is it possible the stealership beat on it? Yes, but what can I do about it? I've seen how that works out for people. That was my first time taking a car to a dealership. I think it's my last. I know a few good places to take it if I need to. I took it to the dealer for convenience (my dad works a few blocks away from there, so he took it for me) and the fact I was or thought I was doing multiple things and it would be better to get it all done at once at the dealer where they warranty their work. Well screw that. I don't care if it wasn't them that did it, I didn't like how all the little things added up and they charged me for everything they could think of.

I probably won't be able to look at it until Saturday. I haven't been driving it but I live in an apartment complex and also it's going to rain the rest of the week.

Last edited by Marc3.4V6; 10-10-2012 at 07:07 PM.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you can pull the valve covers your self and check for any bad parts .also check your rocker arms for any excessive play.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm hoping this is normal, I've seen other threads and videos that sound like mine (were hard to find jst like mine but I found a few) where people say it's normal or it's just due to a different oil not absorbing as much sound as the previous oil. I'm going to look at it eventually anyhow, I might have to wait to do it at my parents house, not much room here. Is it true that there is no adjustment procedure for the rockers, like the LT1? I read on here a few times that you just have to tighten them to 22 ftlbs. Do I need to do it in any order?

Sounds just like this guy's on decel

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...holy-crap.html

Last edited by Marc3.4V6; 10-11-2012 at 03:28 PM.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Interesting thread on Corvette Forum, same issue. I think he has found the problem, which is interesting. Here's a link: Link
Old 10-13-2012, 01:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not really the same issue in my mind. Mine sounds fine to me at idle until I rev it up and between 1100-2000 rpms and you hear that clacking, which is a new noise to me. However the thread was interesting and a comp cams trunion upgrade is next on my list. The videos in the corvette forum sounded different from mine and in all honesty, nothing stood out.

One thing I read in my week long research of LS1 noises is that sometimes changing the oil to a different oil will make it more noisy, or just an oil change will be noisy for the first 500 miles.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:25 PM
TECH Resident

What I would do here sir is pull the valve covers and pull each rocker and pushrod individually. I would inspect the pushrods, rockers, and make sure you don't have a bum spring or something like that.

Honestly given you say the noise is only from about 1000-2000 rpms scares the crap out of me and let me explain. I'm not 100% sure what the sound is being I can't hear it firsthand but it almost sounds like it's too fast of a knock to be a valvetrain noise, but I might not be hearing it right either. Again check everything out, but I had a similar sound on my S10 swap awhile back where it would only make noise between 2000-3000 rpms and it turned out to be a rod issue. The funny thing is below those RPMs and above all was fine with me too. Don't mean to make you paranoid, but that noise isn't normal IMO.
Old 10-13-2012, 11:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Doing this tomorrow morning, can I tell if the springs are bad when compressed, or should I take those out too? I'm guessing a bad one would be a different height than the rest when removed?

2nd video

Old 10-14-2012, 08:09 AM
TECH Resident

I wouldn't pull the springs, but I would visually inspect to ensure one isn't broken or something like that.

PS. If the car is bone stock internally, you shouldn't have things like dual springs or titanium retainers or anything like that. If you find either of those items that would definately throw up a red flag.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

I pulled the driver's VC and saw nothing unusual. Rockers had only very slight side to side play except for 2 which has zero. I decided not to dig deeper and just take it somewhere and take advantage of my warranty. I find I am less willing to do certain things myself these days and my back isn't helping. I work on cars every day in autobody and paint and even though I've done heads before on LT1's, I don't think it's in me anymore.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

I took it to a shop and they said it was normal. Just a little piston noise.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:40 AM
Banned

Don't waste your time on these noises, completely normal LS1 noise. The guy that pulls the valve cover off then checks the condition of the oil gotta be a goverment employee!

LS1 engines are noisy, get used to it. GM doesn't like to tell its customers out right lhat building Hiperformance engines cheap and quiet aint happening.
Old 10-20-2012, 06:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

They said it's normal and I believe them, trustworthy 30 year each experienced guys who could have very well taken my money and taken the heads off, but still....the noise freaks me out sometimes! I'll have to get used to it and the cam-like idle.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:18 PM
Teching In

I had the same problem. Turned out to be one bent pushrod

Quick Reply: Rocker Clacking