Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water pump block off???

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 08:46 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Water pump block off???

Has anyone had any problems or experience with capping the heater hose fittings on the water pump?? I can not use a bypass hose for my application. I have an aftermarket AC system that is calling for a (control) shut-off valve to be put on the outlet (pressure) side of the heater hose. Will this stop all coolant flow before the thermostat is open??? Will it still flow coolant to the block and radiator if the themostat is closed???
Old 10-14-2012, 09:09 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So you need them capped or you don't need them capped I'm confused? Everybody either loops a hose from the outlet back to the inlet on the heater hose fittings, or pulls the nipples and taps the holes for plugs. I thought on some thermostats there was a small hole to allow a small flow with the thermostat closed. I may not be understanding your question though.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:14 AM
TECH Resident

I don't need them capped. Sorry if my post was a little confusing. My (control) shut-off valve on the pressure (outlet) side of the water pump (heater side) is going to stop flow through the heater core. I guess I would really just like to know if there have been any problems with ones that are blocked off because that is what I will have (essentially)?? I know some thermostats have small holes in them but that will not flow enough water to keep the block/heads from getting too hot before the water can circulate through the radiator and back to the water pump to open the thermostat.
Old 10-14-2012, 11:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That is not a problem, the engine will cool fine even with them blocked.

Kurt
Old 10-14-2012, 07:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Vintage Air? I have their setup with the positive-stop heater valve and I've seen no adverse affect...
Old 10-14-2012, 07:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Default Me either..

Originally Posted by S10xGN
Vintage Air? I have their setup with the positive-stop heater valve and I've seen no adverse affect...
NP on my LQ9/VA unit.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:28 AM
TECH Resident

Yes, it is Vintage Air. I did notice that my thermostat has 4 .150"-ish holes in it to allow "some" flow from the pressure side to the return if the shut-off/control valve is closed. Do you think that is enough???

Quick Reply: Water pump block off???