Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exciter ring

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 11:40 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exciter ring

Building a 5.3 for the first time. I bought a ls how to book for help.
Question is do I need to replace the exciter ring? I have read if the crank is out that it needs to be replaced. Is this true? Is there any way I can test it and see if it is working. The main problem is that I found this info after the engine is built. The book doesn't say that it is mandatory. Any input would be appreciated.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:43 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What year and model vehicle did the 5.3L engine come from? What year and model is it going into? Simply pulling a crank out does not mandate a reluctor swap.

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 10-18-2012, 12:31 PM
Teching In

Not real sure what it came in but I think it is a 01. I bought the motor complete. It is going in a jeep wrangler. Thanks
Old 10-18-2012, 12:41 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Is the PCM you're going to use to run it setup for the 24X reluctor wheel. An '01 engine would have that 24X wheel. That is the important thing, that the wheel and PCM "match."

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
Old 10-18-2012, 12:54 PM
Teching In

Don't have the PCM yet. I was going to contact frost on here for that and the tune. Basically stock with a comp cam part number 54-456-11. Thanks
Old 10-19-2012, 10:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

How sensitive is the reluctor , if it has a very small burr on one tooth is this reason enough to replace ?
Old 10-19-2012, 10:23 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by omc8
How sensitive is the reluctor , if it has a very small burr on one tooth is this reason enough to replace ?
Any chance you have a picture of said burr? From all I've seen, the sensor is more sensitive to runout than to small imperfections in the teeth themselves.

Old 10-20-2012, 04:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The only reason to replace the reluctor is if it made contact with a piston or the crank sensor (i.e. it is damaged and/or bent).

What caused the burr, if it was manufactured like that it is ok, if contact caused the burr then it is not ok (it might also be bent).
Old 10-23-2012, 09:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

The oil pan was busted during an accident and there was probably brief contact at that time. It is a very slight burr on the edge gap on one tooth only and appears to be straight and clean in every other aspect.

Quick Reply: Exciter ring