Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To Advance or Not

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 03:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To Advance or Not

Hi Guys my cam is 228/234 Icl 108 Lc 112 for Ls1 now the main question is would you run the quoted 4 deg advanced on the cam or bring it back to ''0'' or ''2'' degs advanced.Car is a M6 with 3.9 rear.

cheers
Old 10-21-2012, 02:07 AM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

There is no way in knowing what that would do to your combination because I and others do not know what it is.

Can you give us a break down of what your set-up consists of?
Old 10-21-2012, 01:53 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blow thru
Hi Guys my cam is 228/234 Icl 108 Lc 112 for Ls1 now the main question is would you run the quoted 4 deg advanced on the cam or bring it back to ''0'' or ''2'' degs advanced.Car is a M6 with 3.9 rear.

cheers
Camshafts are installed in relation to the crankshaft and measured in degrees. Your cam has a 112 lobe centerline and a 108 intake centerline meaning 4 degrees of advancement are ground into the camshaft intake and exhaust lobes. When the exhaust lobe's peak lift happens at the same amount of degrees BTDC as the intake valve peaks ATDC, assuming if the intake and exhaust durations are the same, then the ICL and LSA are the same and the cam is ground straight up.

If you want more top end power on a camshaft that is ground advanced then you would install the camshaft retarded. The exact numbers and degrees determine the area under the torque curve as well as where in the RPM band the power is transferred. However, you chose a camshaft on the heads that you use and not the other way around. The efficiency of doing this is what Martin mentioned and involves many variables. Usually it is better to use the added torque to get a better 60' time. It depends on your individual setup in the end and what you are trying to do with it.

Quick Reply: To Advance or Not