Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Damaged Combustion Chambers

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2004, 12:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Damaged Combustion Chambers

I had my heads off cleaning them up after I thought I had a blown head gasket. I could not find any evidence that either of the gaskets were bad, but I did find two of the chambers have chips out of the area right around the intake valves.

The damage is at about 12:00 in both pics. There also seems to be a little material nissing in the area right in between the intake and exhaust seats.

They are chambers #5 and #7.

Any ideas on what could cause this type of damage? Detonation maybe?

I assume the only way to have this fixed is to have the heads dissambled and the damaged welded up.

These are MTI S2s with 2.055 and 1.6 valves with about 50K miles on them.

Recently I started having what I assumed was extreme detonation in 1st and 6th gears loaded under 2K rpm. I had a slight smell of coolant after sitting in traffic although the car never showed it was running hot. I had some coolant consumption, not real bad and some air bubbles in the radiator when I revved the car. This is what made me think it was a head gasket. All of the plugs looked the exact same, a light white powdery coating. But they all looked exactly the same. The plugs have about 15-20K on them.

Any opinions?
Old 04-11-2004, 03:00 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 123 Likes on 36 Posts

Default head damage

Originally Posted by 1madss
I had my heads off cleaning them up after I thought I had a blown head gasket. I could not find any evidence that either of the gaskets were bad, but I did find two of the chambers have chips out of the area right around the intake valves.

The damage is at about 12:00 in both pics. There also seems to be a little material nissing in the area right in between the intake and exhaust seats.

They are chambers #5 and #7.

Any ideas on what could cause this type of damage? Detonation maybe?

I assume the only way to have this fixed is to have the heads dissambled and the damaged welded up.

These are MTI S2s with 2.055 and 1.6 valves with about 50K miles on them.

Recently I started having what I assumed was extreme detonation in 1st and 6th gears loaded under 2K rpm. I had a slight smell of coolant after sitting in traffic although the car never showed it was running hot. I had some coolant consumption, not real bad and some air bubbles in the radiator when I revved the car. This is what made me think it was a head gasket. All of the plugs looked the exact same, a light white powdery coating. But they all looked exactly the same. The plugs have about 15-20K on them.

Any opinions?
Send the head out and get it pressure tested. It could be cracked into the water jacket between the seats. And yes it's most likely caused by detonation.
Old 04-11-2004, 05:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Bud, havent heard from you in a while. Im very interested in this as we have the same set-up and I have over 30k on my set-up. In the heat of summer I do hear audible detonation occasionally.