Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ebay CNC'd LS1 heads: anyone seen these?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 08:19 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone else notice 2.02" intake valves, as opposed to the stock 2.00?
Old 11-08-2012, 08:27 AM
TECH Resident

According to the ad, here is the specs on the machine: http://www.rottlermfg.com/five-axis-CNC-machines.php

These machining centers are specifically designed for automotive applications.

Might be legit - better pics would good, an actual inspection and test would be best.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:28 AM
Launching!

If you google procomp heads, you'll find plenty of poor reviews. Not reviews specific to LS heads, but heads of all different makes and models. I personally would not bother putting them on my car. I'm all for cheap and budget builds as long as there is some quality in the parts I'm using.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's another review(s)-not sure that this is the exact product as displayed on ebay.
http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/af...num-heads.html
I'm wondering how any profit margin fits into this scenario.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:53 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

We discussed in another thread what a good valvejob and milling and such cost. A truly quality product of this complexity can not be made at this price. OEMs can obviously make quality heads at this price point BUT even then the addition of CNC machining the ports would make it a big challenge for them.

OEMs have economy of scale going for them which helps make it cheaper but they do have R&D costs which some shady chinese company doesn't., but the shady chinese company's production quantity wont be a drop in the bucket compared to OEM numbers so the making of the mold and such gets spread out over fewer pieces.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:08 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^
That being said, i would not trust an over seas company with the assembly and or CNCing of my head.

Imagine dropping a valve and getting into more $ then you wanted to spend previously, Like i previously said cheaper isn't always cheaper in the end.

BUT, I can sit here and critique them all day but by no means do i have any experience with these and seems like no one else, so who knows maybe they work.

Ive seen some over seas stuff work well for what it was intended for, and ive seen some things come out to be complete junk after a couple of miles. All depends on how eager any of you guys are in finding out. Im curious.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

The heads in the HRM test are not the same as the ones in the eBay listing. Valve sizes, port volume, & flow data are different. The HRM test heads list the price at $1875.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:03 PM
On The Tree

I just don't get some of what some people post. Yes, these heads are from Procomp. Yes, they are ALOT cheaper than other heads that flow the same and make the same power. I've spent a huge amount of time researching Procomp for 2 reasons. First we needed a set of heads for our '01 Vette and second, my Fiancee owns her own parts supply company and she has set up to be a vendor for Procomp. In MOST of the negative posts that are written about Procomp the people haven't even used a set of their heads. It seems automatic that everyone thinks that just because they're less expensive, they must be junk. There's also a bunch of "I heard of people having problems with them" threads, but the irony is, the people who actually DO use them have very good results with them. If I can run the same with a set of $700 heads that I can with a set of $2000 heads, why not go with the $700 heads? Hot Rod made more HP with Procomps than they did with heads costing more than twice as much.

Frank
Old 03-22-2013, 06:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I looked at the heads in the link. Seems like some fishy **** to me. Add says LS1,LS2, LS6 cylinder heads... Well, which one is it? are they LS1 or are they LS2/LS6 heads? It really pisses me off that alot of these so called vendors that sell LS parts on ebay and other such sites have no actual working product knowledge and advertise incorrectly. Im not saying the heads are **** because i haven't seen them but the math most definitely does not make sense. Ported polished, assemble with oversize valves and what looks like ported combustion chambers for $700. $700 is a joke. $700 doesn't even cover operating costs to make the damn heads. More expensive things are not always better but often times they are. If you are trying to build big, reliable HP by price shopping and buying from shady overseas vendors... well, then good luck to you. I have read that book before and i am well aware how it ends.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:16 PM
On The Tree

^^^are you serious? How should they advertise them? Have you ever looked at AFR 210 heads to see what they fit? I guess AFR has no product knowledge. Don't get me wrong I wouldn't buy them...I just dont understand that comment.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:22 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LMFAO at the LS1/LS2/LS6

Pretty sure that classifies them as cathedral port heads.................
Old 03-22-2013, 09:13 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by showvette
I just don't get some of what some people post. Yes, these heads are from Procomp. Yes, they are ALOT cheaper than other heads that flow the same and make the same power. I've spent a huge amount of time researching Procomp for 2 reasons. First we needed a set of heads for our '01 Vette and second, my Fiancee owns her own parts supply company and she has set up to be a vendor for Procomp. In MOST of the negative posts that are written about Procomp the people haven't even used a set of their heads. It seems automatic that everyone thinks that just because they're less expensive, they must be junk. There's also a bunch of "I heard of people having problems with them" threads, but the irony is, the people who actually DO use them have very good results with them. If I can run the same with a set of $700 heads that I can with a set of $2000 heads, why not go with the $700 heads? Hot Rod made more HP with Procomps than they did with heads costing more than twice as much.

Frank
Buy them and do a review for us
Old 03-22-2013, 09:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 3rdCoastPowerSports
Add says LS1,LS2, LS6 cylinder heads... Well, which one is it? are they LS1 or are they LS2/LS6 heads? It really pisses me off that alot of these so called vendors that sell LS parts on ebay and other such sites have no actual working product knowledge and advertise incorrectly.
And the differences are???
Old 03-23-2013, 01:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1MCSS
And the differences are???
LS1 is 853/241 casting. LS6/LS2 are 243...
are you guys ******* serious you don't know this. So according to the knowledge in this thread all cathedral port GM cylinder heads are made equal.. oh wait its just the way that they were cast that was different (sarcasm)

ok how about this I have a set of stock LS2/LS6 heads strait off my bone stock 2001 Camaro. I will sell them to you for $500 Shipped... Sounds like a deal right. Well its not because they are 241 casting cylinder heads which would make them LS1 cylinder heads not LS2/LS6 cylinder heads.
Old 03-23-2013, 01:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by badassracing
^^^are you serious? How should they advertise them? Have you ever looked at AFR 210 heads to see what they fit? I guess AFR has no product knowledge. Don't get me wrong I wouldn't buy them...I just dont understand that comment.
Who said anything about AFR. Is AFR selling the heads in question? also no body was questioning the fitment of the cylinder heads. In my opinion it is not ok to advertise 853/241 casting heads as LS2/LS6 heads because they are not LS2/LS6 heads they are LS1 Heads.

All cathedral port cylinder heads are not the same, they may look very similar to the untrained eye but they are not. There are differences in floor height, water passages, ect... Im done with this thread.

Last edited by 3rdCoastPowerSports; 03-23-2013 at 01:39 AM. Reason: wording
Old 03-23-2013, 04:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

For the price, wouldn't these be an upgrade? Sure they don't flow the numbers of the big names out there, but they do flow better than a stock 243 head. Would you rather have a stock 243 head that everyone wants $400 for, or these for just a couple hundred more? They surely would be an upgrade over the stock casting, without the greasy mess of buying used. I wouldn't trust the springs they use, but $200 for some BTR springs and you are good to go. Still half the cost of the big name porters out there.

Are you giving up some horsepower over say PRC heads? Sure, but how much for double the cost. I think if you weren't looking for that last ounce of horsepower, these heads seem like a nice upgrade, at just a little more than what the stockers go for.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

LS1 is 853/241 casting. LS6/LS2 are 243...
are you guys ******* serious you don't know this. So according to the knowledge in this thread all cathedral port GM cylinder heads are made equal.. oh wait its just the way that they were cast that was different (sarcasm)

ok how about this I have a set of stock LS2/LS6 heads strait off my bone stock 2001 Camaro. I will sell them to you for $500 Shipped... Sounds like a deal right. Well its not because they are 241 casting cylinder heads which would make them LS1 cylinder heads not LS2/LS6 cylinder heads.
Our posts are because of the way you posted in post number 29. You made it sound like an aftermarket head made for an LS1 wouldn't work for an LS2/LS6. Anyone with a little common sence knows they will interchange. Are stock heads all made the same, no, but who gives a damn. We're talking about aftermarket heads, not stock. LS1/2/6 AFTERMARKET heads will all interchange. That's why they are advertised that way. Use some common sence before posting and take a valium.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:44 PM
Banned

I looked at the heads in the link. Seems like some fishy **** to me. Add says LS1,LS2, LS6 cylinder heads... Well, which one is it? are they LS1 or are they LS2/LS6 heads? It really pisses me off that alot of these so called vendors that sell LS parts on ebay and other such sites have no actual working product knowledge and advertise incorrectly. Im not saying the heads are **** because i haven't seen them but the math most definitely does not make sense. Ported polished, assemble with oversize valves and what looks like ported combustion chambers for $700. $700 is a joke. $700 doesn't even cover operating costs to make the damn heads. More expensive things are not always better but often times they are. If you are trying to build big, reliable HP by price shopping and buying from shady overseas vendors... well, then good luck to you. I have read that book before and i am well aware how it ends.

Member Cwarta on here made 453whp (with some issues aswell never got to full tune the setup he was sure he could of pulled 480 out of it) on his H/C LS2 with the LS3 version of these heads. Granted dyno #'s mean squat in the real world but since you care for it there you go. How about not knocking a product till you actually use it.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by adamantium
Member Cwarta on here made 453whp (with some issues aswell never got to full tune the setup he was sure he could of pulled 480 out of it) on his H/C LS2 with the LS3 version of these heads.
Apples to Oranges. $699 for a CNC'd, larger valved, assembled LS head... your inadvertently ******* your hardworking countrymen. Ya'll really dont get this do you. DO THE MATH IT DOES NOT MAKE SENSE
Old 03-24-2013, 12:42 AM
Banned

Apples to Oranges. $699 for a CNC'd, larger valved, assembled LS head... your inadvertently ******* your hardworking countrymen. Ya'll really dont get this do you. DO THE MATH IT DOES NOT MAKE SENSE
I didn't compare anything?.... I was simply sharing results from a member using this company's castings.

A couple posts above you were knocking the product and the company for no reason at all but because of its price tag. Maybe try them for yourself and share your experiences and why they're trash. If you haven't actually used the product stop jumping to conclusions. Im sharing real world examples, even though they aren't mine atleast im contributing something to this thread, unlike you.

Last edited by adamantium; 03-24-2013 at 12:48 AM.

Quick Reply: Ebay CNC'd LS1 heads: anyone seen these?