Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New TSP 421 LQ9 install: Now #1 cylinder connecting rod bolt is hitting the oil pan

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 03:01 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Jason just tried to call the customer and discuss, but we weren't able to get a hold of him. Let it be know that we still haven't actually been able to talk to the customer about this. Just this internet stuff.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No research was needed here just a wrench to turn the engine over after the pan was put on. He had to make the windage tray clear the crank.

Don't try and blame TSP for any of this. Anyone who builds cars knows that you must check everything and modify as needed. There are very very few parts you can buy that don't need adjustment by the user.

TSP can't provide a how to guide for every engine they sell. If they did this and something they said was wrong they would then be responsible.

Real simple you and your guy messed up suck it up and move on.

Tim
Old 11-09-2012, 06:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like this post because I can relate to the OP. I'm another one of those guys that is in the dark when it comes to "higher level" automotive maintenance and practices. You do heavily depend on the "experts".

However, I agree with TSP and the bunch here...A seller of any parts whether that be Summit Racing, Jegs, TSP, Crane, MAST, or even GM....They can't tell you everything short of installing the parts for you. If you don't know what you are doing or feel comfortable doing it, DON'T DO IT!

A paid, reputable mechanic should know what their doing. Even I know with a Stroker engine requires clearance checking ( think that is common knowledge for gear heads)

Bottom line...You need to go after the installer...when TSP sold me a set of heads, they didn't tell me I needed to clean the deck surface, torque the bolts, or use a gasket, but they did tell me if there was a problem with the product itself, they would take care of me. That's how it should be, if I'm installing it, I just took ownership on the install procedures.

Sorry to hear about the OP's mis-fortune, but live and learn. No warranty will cover mechanic's "oops"...

Last edited by badazz81z28; 11-09-2012 at 06:30 PM.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:38 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JakeFusion™
I feel for you Zeta. That's why this forum is so great. It provides you with a lot of information. Unfortunately, it's sometimes hard to spend the countless hours needed to properly research things and become informed on the aspects of the build.
that's my point too. If you don't know about stuff ...how do you even know what questions to ask. I did come here as well as some other forums and posted "what would I need, and what would not transfer in a LS1 to LQ9 421ci swap" ... I got answers about the alternator, and a couple of other suggestions but not oil pan.

Like you said , it takes alot of research and knowing what to look for to begin with. so yeah , this all sux .
Old 11-09-2012, 08:43 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JohnJanz@Texas-Speed
Jason just tried to call the customer and discuss, but we weren't able to get a hold of him. Let it be know that we still haven't actually been able to talk to the customer about this. Just this internet stuff.

Call me again, if I don't know the number I won't answer. no message left.

if not I will call on monday.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:00 PM
Launching!

Ok , I've heard alot of people tell me how its common sense that a 4.125 won't clear the oil pan. I understand that now after the fact. But ultimately this was not the question

That ACTUAL question was not how it should have been prevented, but how to fix it?

Is there an oil pan that will bolt up to this, where the back is deeper than a stock ls1's and won't be all huge in the front like the stock LQ9's? because that's 8" in the front and will hang about 3" further down. I don't want it to scrape or hit something cuz it's so low if I go that route.

The Performance LS Muscle Car Oil Pan Part #19212593 may be an option. there is one problem: Those 2 tranny support achors on the T56 may not be able to be used with this. any ideas?

I can't be the only person in the world who has a 4.125 oil pan clearing issue on an ls1 car. those people must be using something to clear

Last edited by ZetaVeinteOcho; 11-09-2012 at 09:30 PM.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:53 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ZetaVeinteOcho
Ok , I've heard alot of people tell me how its common sense that a 4.125 won't clear the oil pan. I understand that now after the fact. But ultimately this was not the question

That ACTUAL question was not how it should have been prevented, but how to fix it?

Is there an oil pan that will bolt up to this, where the back is deeper than a stock ls1's and won't be all huge in the front like the stock LQ9's? because that's 8" in the front and will hang about 3" further down. I don't want it to scrape or hit something cuz it's so low if I go that route.

The Performance LS Muscle Car Oil Pan Part #19212593 may be an option. there is one problem: Those 2 tranny support achors on the T56 may not be able to be used with this. any ideas?

I can't be the only person in the world who has a 4.125 oil pan clearing issue on an ls1 car. those people must be using something to clear

Holley's LSx oil pan would be my best guess. I would call them and tell them your situation. I would think when they designed that pan, they had the stroker engines in mind ( You would have to check clearance no matter what pan)
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-302-1/overview/

A cheaper route like mentioned ( which I would do) would be to have someone weld a "Doubler" on the bottom of the pan, and just clearance the current pan. Probably cost $100 or less, but take it to someone who specialized in welding aluminum.
Old 11-10-2012, 01:13 PM
TECH Addict

The moroso aluminum pan will clear. It solves alot of issues with gm pans. Not cheap but has a full length windage tray this is important

Tim
Old 11-10-2012, 08:18 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not an expert but I read, read, AND READ books/research. Bottom line I made sure I didn't have clearance issues, especially with the windage tray and oil pan. I did it all in my garage.

I agree TSP shouldn't be at fault in this case.

However, TSP doesn't want to warranty anything. Not even the parts they install in the short blocks.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:31 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by RyanSws6
I'm not an expert but I read, read, AND READ books/research. Bottom line I made sure I didn't have clearance issues, especially with the windage tray and oil pan. I did it all in my garage.

I agree TSP shouldn't be at fault in this case.

However, TSP doesn't want to warranty anything. Not even the parts they install in the short blocks.
We don't offer a warranty, but we stand behind what we build and the worksmanship we put into it. As its been stated we can't offer a cut and dry warranty for the simple fact there is so many variables involved after the engine actually leaves our hands, but rest assured no matter the situation we do our best to help the customer out and get them back going as painless as possible.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:39 PM
TECH Addict

I think people clearly don't understand the concept of a warranty.

Standing behind their workmanship is one thing, but do you really expect a company to cover a customers treatment or installation of the parts? Read the fine print on your GM crate engine warranty. You might be surprised...They wont cover stupidity either.

Hell you could take an engine from TSP and a million things can be done wrong.

The buyer could :
- Over heat it
- Over rev it
- Never change the oil
- Lean it out from nitrous
- Over Boost it
- Straight up abuse it
- Put a pan on that doesn't clear the crank

It that the builders fault?? Heck no

Race parts are never warrantied and only cover workmanship, try mod your brand new Camaro or Corvette and see how fast GM will void your warranty.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:11 PM
Teching In

I agree that TSP is NOT at fault..I myself bought that exact same set up and even my mechanic was the first one to advise me on a different oil pan. after we got the new oil pan low and behold it still didnt clear after my mechanic did a manual check on it. He called TSP and they gave him some suggestions (good ones I may say) and it worked. Ive had my stroker for over a year without any issues. I was so impressed with their worksmanship that I decided to drive up to TSP (8 hour drive)to get a dynotuned. Their facilities are top notch, but let me tell you, their machining facilities and their tech is second to none in the country.

I was so pleased with their customer service that I even bought their 247CC heads and let me say Im willing to put those heads against any other cathedral heads in the country. Im very happy with the setup. Jake from TSP has always been honest and helpful. Hes always willing to take the time and answer all my questions. Matt (the manager) may seem a bit cut and dry at times(lol) but is also honest and forthcoming. May I add that Jason (co-owner) did my dyno and is a down to earth person and I am definetely going back for a second dynotune (once I save up some mula) since I just got my LS7S cam from them.

TSP is there to help its customers and I do agree that they will stand behind their work.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. My advice to you.....change shops or mechanic for your car.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Standing behind their workmanship is one thing, but do you really expect a company to cover a customers treatment or installation of the parts? Read the fine print on your GM crate engine warranty. You might be surprised...They wont cover stupidity either.
No they don't cover stupidity, nor should TSP in this example. But surely there are things that are in fact in control in the build process that they need to do more than just "stand behind". It doesn't cover improperly handled and installed parts done by a 3rd party. But you better believe that if there's something wrong with the engine itself then GM will cover it. Apparently TSP does not offer any sort of warranty on their parts or workmanship even if it's 100% their fault.

This very vague statement doesn't mean squat, as there is no mention of what exactly is done by the builder to get them back on the road. If it means selling them another part to replace the broken one well that doesn't mean ****.

but rest assured no matter the situation we do our best to help the customer out and get them back going as painless as possible.
So to TSP, what happens if an engine build that you put together is bad, with no fault of the installer? Do you not offer warranty at all? So you can basically put together a POS of an engine, ship it to the customer and once they accept the shipment it's completely out of your hands?
Old 11-15-2012, 02:09 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I haven't had too many bad experiences with vendors and have never done business with TSP.

That said I think "no warranty" statements are to avoid litigation. I believe most vendors will step up and handle issues on their own dime if they are at fault even if they made a "no warranty" statement
Old 11-15-2012, 02:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've had troubles with TSP in the past, but they do their best to help out for any discrepancies in their quality. I can tell you first hand they own up to it in a fair manner,

With that being said, ive seen some TSP build short blocks before in person and the build quality is what is to be expected from someone who specializes in high performance engine builds.

Asking them to warranty a built motor is really asking for them to go out of business. 99% of problems i have witnessed is installer error.. or driver error with improper breakin procedures..

Now in regards to OP,
from a customer standpoint, its a frustrating situation, we all understand that. This isnt TSP's fault, they built a shortblock nothing more, they did their job.

The man who installed your motor was incompetent (much respect implied) and potentially fried your ****; Break it in and buy a deeper pan and hope for the best. If u want to point fingers as to whos ultimately at fault, its your installer.

From a business stand point, they dont warranty it for a reason, as stated above.. so unfortunately your pushed into a grey area ATM.

Give them a call back, and talk it over, nothing else to see here.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by badazz81z28
Read the fine print on your GM crate engine warranty. You might be surprised...They wont cover stupidity either.
Dropped a valve on a friends c6 z06 powershifting up a on ramp, quickly read up on ls1tech and complained about valve float.. bitched out the CSM at champion toyota.. ordered me a brand new ls7
Old 11-15-2012, 11:28 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by redtan
No they don't cover stupidity, nor should TSP in this example. But surely there are things that are in fact in control in the build process that they need to do more than just "stand behind". It doesn't cover improperly handled and installed parts done by a 3rd party. But you better believe that if there's something wrong with the engine itself then GM will cover it. Apparently TSP does not offer any sort of warranty on their parts or workmanship even if it's 100% their fault.

This very vague statement doesn't mean squat, as there is no mention of what exactly is done by the builder to get them back on the road. If it means selling them another part to replace the broken one well that doesn't mean ****.

So to TSP, what happens if an engine build that you put together is bad, with no fault of the installer? Do you not offer warranty at all? So you can basically put together a POS of an engine, ship it to the customer and once they accept the shipment it's completely out of your hands?
What about what I wrote do you not understand? I said we stand behind our products and the worksmanship we put out. If you didn't understand, it means that if something were to ever go wrong we are there to make it right. I can tell you though the chances of this happening are next to none as our engines are built to the strictest standards, but if it were to we are here to make it right and do what needs to be done to get the customer taken care of. We have been in business too long to be sending junk out and trying to make a quick buck before it all comes crashing down. We have been in the LS game for a long time, and don't plan on stopping anytime soon. Our customers are important to us, and we strive to go out of our way to help them, always have and always will.

If you have anymore questions or anything else you'd like to share feel free to call me directly, I'll be happy to talk.

Last edited by Sales1@Texas-speed; 11-15-2012 at 11:48 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:36 PM
Turd Gen Guy

id blame the problem on the guy you had install the motor/ pan/ etc..... its not tsp'd falt he did not check clearances on the rod bolts with the oil pan..... going with a bigger stroke than stock crankshaft if i worked at tsp id "assume" people would be smart enough to check that kind of stuff... i dont see tsp being in the wrong on this...
Old 11-15-2012, 11:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 908 Likes on 648 Posts

How companies that build engines, trans, clutches or rearends stay in business is beyond me.

I say this not to insult those companies to but to wonder how they stay a float with all the idiots out there.

I think the worst would be a clutch company. With all the people out there who do not know how to install a clutch let alone drive one, will blame everyone else in the world but themselves.

There are stupid people out there, oh believe me there are and it's never their fault.

When **** goes south most people start pointing fingers at someone else. Sometimes with good reason.

There is no way that an engine builder 100% can say there will be any or no interference with any part in an aftermarket situation.

The guy that built your motor should have caught it.

Are you telling me once he bolted the pan on he never rolled the engine over? I saw the pics, its not just a light graze.

No one wants to be "that guy" when something goes to **** but I don't see how TSP is at fault here.

There is another thread on here about a guy with a new engine ******* it up and the builder replacing it. Given I don't know the details I can't see how a company can do **** like that and stay in business(unless its for the internet crowd to keep business)
Old 11-16-2012, 07:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

What about what I wrote do you not understand? I said we stand behind our products and the worksmanship we put out. If you didn't understand, it means that if something were to ever go wrong we are there to make it right.
I get that, but like I said it's very vague and it's not written down like a warranty. A warrantly specifically says what it covers, you just verbally saying you stand behind your product is not the same. Not saying I doubt you and what you will do, but if two vendors are trying to sell me an engine and one specifically lists out on a piece of paper what is covered and what is not while the other vendor just tells me that he "stands behind his product" but doesn't say any specifics or gives me any written proof I'm telling you right now that I would never purchase from the second vendor regardless of how much better the deal would be.

What do you think a person shopping for a new car would say when he/she asks the dealership to provide a warranty and the salespeson just says "oh GM doesn't provide an actual written warranty coverage, but trust me they stand behind their product". Do you honestly think anyone would make a major purchase from someone who literally just says that without providing any sort of written guarantee?

Quick Reply: New TSP 421 LQ9 install: Now #1 cylinder connecting rod bolt is hitting the oil pan