Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New ram air trans am project suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 07:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New ram air trans am project suggestions

I finally took the plunge and bought another ls1 car. It is a 98 black ram air trans am with a 6 speed. The car has ported and polished 5.3 heads, comp 1.75 rockers, ls6 intake, 231/237 cam, hooker longtubes, catless y-pipe, hooker mufflers, a spec stage 3+ clutch, ported tb, eibach springs, forged pistons, hardened panhard bar. The car is in decent shape ( certainly not showcar standards ) but the interior is rough.

I bought the car under the assumption that it just needed a block. The previous owner said he broken a rod somehow. I had the car towed home and immediately started pulling the motor.

Apparently two rods broke, taking out the crank, wiping two lobes on the cam, tearing up 4 pistons, several lifters, the started, and leaving a fist sized hole in the block. The heads survived with a bent valve. Now i have a clean slate, and a few go fast parts that survived.

Part of me wants to just put something together and just drive it. The other parts wants to build the forged and procharged motor I have always wanted. It will be a show quality car once i am done with it.

What would you guys do? This is sctrictly a late night toy with some occasional trips to the track. Budget does not matter, just wanting some opinions.

Last edited by maybl8r09; 11-07-2012 at 07:55 PM. Reason: tabs did not show up properly
Old 11-07-2012, 09:05 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice, congrats on the purchase!

You have a few options with the go fast goodies that were salvaged. Either sell them to help funds or put them to good use. I would opt to sell them. Seems as though no damage has been done to the T-56 correct? I would go for the procharged build myself. I would also sell the T-56 and go for an auto/transbrake setup for more consistency at the track, but that is just me. You would be able to get a jump on the build using what was left from the previous platform as a way to fund the additional costs. You mentioned cost not being of concern but at the end of the day go fast parts still add up quick lol.

Quick Reply: New ram air trans am project suggestions