Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I run the engine without rockers?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 10:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Can I run the engine without rockers?

This may or may not be a dumb question... I am trying to isolate a loud tapping noise somewhere around cylinder 5 and 7. It taps at half the speed of the motor, so I think it's valvetrain related, possibly a lifter. I've done what I can through the valve cover and haven't found the source of the noise yet. I don't want to pull the head until I know for sure it's a lifter.

Can I pull both rockers off a cylinder so their lifters aren't being used? If the tapping goes away with the rockers off then I can assume the tapping if from one of those two lifters. If I were to do this, I would only let it idle for 10-15 seconds, enough time to hear if the tapping is there or gone. However, 10-15 seconds would be roughly 100-160 revolutions, ouch.

Here is what I would do... Remove both rockers and pushrods and make sure the lifters stay up in the lifter guide, unplug injector, unplug spark plug. Would I need remove the spark plug? I'm hesitant to because it would make a TON of noise and probably cover the sound of the tapping.

So am I crazy, or is this a reasonable idea?
Old 11-15-2012, 10:39 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If there is no fuel going into the cylinder than unplugging the spark plug would allow air to freely move in and out of the cylinder when the engine is running. I don't think that it would cause that much more noise then the engine running. You will probably pop a check engine light when you try this. Also, with running the engine with one less cylinder, it might have a hard time starting and when it is running it is going to run very rough. GOOD LUCK!!
Old 11-15-2012, 10:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bluenightmare
If there is no fuel going into the cylinder than unplugging the spark plug would allow air to freely move in and out of the cylinder when the engine is running. I don't think that it would cause that much more noise then the engine running. You will probably pop a check engine light when you try this. Also, with running the engine with one less cylinder, it might have a hard time starting and when it is running it is going to run very rough. GOOD LUCK!!
Sounds like a horrible idea to me. Even at idle RPMS, That will be some forceful air trying to push through the spark plug hole. Might mess something up bad...
Old 11-15-2012, 10:54 PM
Teching In

Sounds like you are going to have to tear down the heads any ways . take the plug out . Its gone run like its on 7 cylinders . I dont know How far the lifters will move if any you may be ok but who knows .good luck
Old 11-15-2012, 11:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by bluenightmare
With the plug installed it would be really no different than how the engine runs normally, it would just be a compression stroke on every stroke. As for how it will run, I think it will run fine. Once I forgot to plug in the coil pack so it was running on 4 cylinders. Ran poorly, but it ran.

My biggest concern is potential damage to the cylinder walls and perhaps other damage caused by doing many compressions in a row without fuel or combustion.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:38 PM
Teching In

You will not damage the cylinder walls . The only concern i have is the lifters/tray . you will not damage the cylinder walls or the valves .
Old 11-15-2012, 11:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you really want to do an easy Check on the lifters then pull the valve covers and see if there is any visual play or slack in the rockers/pushrods on the cylinders you suspect.
What I just suggested may be a safer way to check and pretty easy
Old 11-16-2012, 12:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by godlyxdan
If you really want to do an easy Check on the lifters then pull the valve covers and see if there is any visual play or slack in the rockers/pushrods on the cylinders you suspect.
What I just suggested may be a safer way to check and pretty easy
I have already done this a few times. The lifters all seem to be good by doing the tests I can through the valve cover. They compress well, bleed down at a reasonable rate, pop back up quickly with when the rocker is unbolted, no abnormal play that I can tell. Just trying to narrow down the possibilities here, been troubleshooting all week
Old 11-16-2012, 08:41 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
With the plug installed it would be really no different than how the engine runs normally, it would just be a compression stroke on every stroke. As for how it will run, I think it will run fine. Once I forgot to plug in the coil pack so it was running on 4 cylinders. Ran poorly, but it ran.

My biggest concern is potential damage to the cylinder walls and perhaps other damage caused by doing many compressions in a row without fuel or combustion.
Yeah, but the valves were still operating to allow air in and out. If you seal it up, air has nowhere to go. It will at best cause a vacuum on that cylinder preventing its smooth travel up and down.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you remove the pushrods it will be fine. Unplug the injector but leave the plug wire on or you may damage the coil. I have driven on 7 cylinders many times with no ill effects. The cylinder will get a little oil in it over time and the check engine light will come on.

Kurt
Old 11-16-2012, 11:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

havent you tried using a stethascope to listen to the cylinders individually?
Old 11-16-2012, 11:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Tainted
havent you tried using a stethascope to listen to the cylinders individually?
Yes, it helped it determine that it was around 5-7. Couldn't narrow it down anymore than that.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Id just tear the head off when my lifter failed I had a broken tray and the pr was pushing on it giving it that tap you had on your other post.. its not that big of a hassle to tear the head off
Old 11-16-2012, 01:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Unplug the injector connector and unplug the coil primary connector (very important, see what 427 above said).

This is ok to do... air will simply be pulled into that cylinder via intake port, it will be compressed, and then expelled via exhaust port; leave spark plug in otherwise there will be too much noise.

This is how a running compression test is done (pressure gauge screwed into spark plug hole, measuring pressure in one cylinder while engine is running), does not cause any damage.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by chevybayboy
Id just tear the head off when my lifter failed I had a broken tray and the pr was pushing on it giving it that tap you had on your other post.. its not that big of a hassle to tear the head off
What if that wasn't the source of his noise...? Not a big deal but certainly a waste.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by joecar
Unplug the injector connector and unplug the coil primary connector (very important, see what 427 above said).

This is ok to do... air will simply be pulled into that cylinder via intake port, it will be compressed, and then expelled via exhaust port; leave spark plug in otherwise there will be too much noise.

This is how a running compression test is done (pressure gauge screwed into spark plug hole, measuring pressure in one cylinder while engine is running), does not cause any damage.
That doesn't achieve what I'm trying to do. The purpose is to get the lifters off the cam so they aren't being used, which can only be done by removing the rockers/pushrods. And thus, the valves will not be opening and closing on that cylinder.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by chevybayboy
How would you describe the tapping sound? On a cold start it doesn't tap, then takes 20-30 seconds before it will start tapping.

I would prefer to know what the problem is before pulling the head. This is my daily driver so pulling the head is a big deal. And at the rate I work, it would take me a full day, maybe two
Old 11-16-2012, 02:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by joecar
What if that wasn't the source of his noise...? Not a big deal but certainly a waste.
Ok but the time spends the test he could have the head off.. to def make sure Its not something too serious
Old 11-16-2012, 02:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just drove mine home on 7, I have the same problem as my truck is my daily driver and I know my cam and lifter is history. I have been driving it about 3000 miles now without cylinder 2, it does well but vibrates when the converter locks and needs 3rd gear to pull the trailer now. It is still pretty quick as once it revs up it seems normal.

Kurt
How would you describe the tapping sound? On a cold start it doesn't tap, then takes 20-30 seconds before it will start tapping.

I would prefer to know what the problem is before pulling the head. This is my daily driver so pulling the head is a big deal. And at the rate I work, it would take me a full day, maybe two
Old 11-16-2012, 02:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh mine would tap/tick on start up maybe a lifter is getting stuck a lot of people on here had probs with the ls7 lifters I just installed mine last week haven't ran the motor yet tho... And if its your daily I'd wait til a off day and try to get it done in a day ... I was just saying if it is lifter related pulling the heads a must

Quick Reply: Can I run the engine without rockers?