Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camshaft ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 05:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camshaft ?

Ok guys im sure this has been brought up a million times but we have a build going together that has a camshaft purchased for it already the customer was originally going to build a 5.7 ls ( it was cracked) and now has changed direction . He has brought me a nice 5.3 flat top no valve releaf short block with 706 heads that have been ported and might get milled 7 to 14 thou , We opted to keep the small valves due to shrouding and velocity reasons . This is a carbed application , with turbo 350 trans stall conv is yet to be determined ( can go as big as needed) , 4.11 gears in a 3400 vehicle . The cam he has bought is a Texas Speed 612/615 lift 244/248 dur on a 112lc . I cant get a hold of anyone at TS ( im sure you guys a busy and its the holidays). But there site says it will have piston to valve interferance on stock engines , I have asked some other people ( I hate doing that ) and they have said it should be fine . We are not to the point yet in the build to check the PV C . Just wondering if anyone one here has done a similar build or run cams that big . This is mostly a street/strip app so drivability is not an issue. We are fairly new to the LS Platforms. Sorry if I posted in the wrong place .
Old 11-20-2012, 02:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Too big for cubes, I would reconsider.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:32 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is not uncommon to run into PVC with such a radical cam and flat-tops especially if you are going to be milling the heads to gain compression. Best thing you can do is install the head with the original gasket and clay the piston. If you need to flycut then look into a lindy in-head flycutting setup for the intake and exhaust valve sizes that you need. If you search the forum there is a sticky on flycutting pistons if you need it. I believe one of our sponsors also has rental for lindy flycutting tools.

Quick Reply: Camshaft ?