Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ls9 cam in 4.8 throwing cam code p0341

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 09:18 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Ls9 cam in 4.8 throwing cam code p0341

So I have a '99 4.8 that I installed an ls9 cam in with the 1x front cam gear, ls2 front cover, and sensor. First I extended the cmp sensor harness to reach the new position without switching any wires. This way, it would start up half the time but sometimes it would crank and crank and backfire but not start. This was throwing a different code (camshaft position sensor bank-A high, or something) so I switched the outside wires and it seemed to start up better but still throws the new code (p0341) and sometimes won't start when it's cold out.

Does anyone know what is causing this problem? Any help is appreciated

Thanks
Old 12-12-2012, 09:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by littlereds10
So I have a '99 4.8 that I installed an ls9 cam in with the 1x front cam gear, ls2 front cover, and sensor. First I extended the cmp sensor harness to reach the new position without switching any wires. This way, it would start up half the time but sometimes it would crank and crank and backfire but not start. This was throwing a different code (camshaft position sensor bank-A high, or something) so I switched the outside wires and it seemed to start up better but still throws the new code (p0341) and sometimes won't start when it's cold out.

Does anyone know what is causing this problem? Any help is appreciated

Thanks
Did you have it tuned for the cam? The LS9 cam is probably a little much for a 4.8 to run without a tune.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:23 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats a 3 bolt cam correct. Does it run well enough to drive it ?
Old 12-12-2012, 01:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Sounds like tuning issue ,,,,,,,not enough fuel ,,,,,,,,if it runs too lean it can actually seize so as soon as possible I would get a tune ,,,,,,,,,,bigger cam = more air without more fuel so
Old 12-12-2012, 01:43 PM
On The Tree

The ls9 cam isn't enough to disable the drivability/ running of the engine without a tune, but yes I had a base tune and brought it to get dynod and long story short the axle I bought had a bent shaft and he couldn't properly tune it for that reason and the cam sensor problem (I hadn't switched the outside wires by that time)

Yes when it starts it runs and drives fine(and by fine I mean not perfectly but enough to go up and down the street.)

And believe me, I've searched my *** off and have found valuable info in here as well as other sources. None of which tell me why it is still throwing the code after switching the wires. I'm wondering if the newer style cam sensors are a different voltage (5v apposed to 12v)
Old 12-12-2012, 05:09 PM
On The Tree

So I've been reading and it seems as though the ls2 style cam sensor goes as following: A-5 volt reference B- low reference and C- CMP signal sensor. While the ls1 style is A- cmp signal sensor B- cmp sensor ground and C must be the power.. But I'm reading 12 volts on the power wire where the ls2 style says "5 volt reference".... So do I need to find a 5 volt reference to wire this to?
Old 12-12-2012, 05:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

There was a thread in this forum maybe a year ago or so that someone said that the only difference is the 2 outside wires need switched . You do have a cam gear that has no holes in it right ? There is a difference in the cam timing gear
Old 12-12-2012, 07:22 PM
On The Tree

I have two walbro 255 pumps and either 60lb injectors.. Don't think fuel is an issue. And yeah I have the one without the holes.. It has one "bump" that the sensor reads.

I switched the wires back to how it is supposed to be and now the car won't start at all. It was starting right up before but not anymore.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Maybe try a data log session?? Then, post them in the diagnostic/tune forum, and get some tuners to help??

Quick Reply: Ls9 cam in 4.8 throwing cam code p0341