Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you need a lift to take out the engine from the bottom?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 07:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Have You guys ever pulled engine out the top ? Neat thing is that all You pull is the engine and tranny ,,,,,,,,unless You're gonna rebuild You're front suspension at the same time ,,,,,,,,,,,,that is alot more work, time and tools than out the top ??????
Old 12-15-2012, 08:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

On Fbodys, GTO, g8s ect. non c5/c6s. out the bottom is a little faster to get it out,( ya anyone with air tools thats done it before can zip out the 8-10 bolts, unplug the hanress and dump it off on the ground in under a hour. Once you jave the setup (lift, or big floor jack/wood setup) So people think thats faster, but that might not bet better for everyone. Most of the time it ends up taking more time, and it take up alot more room after you do it. Then you have the car without the front suspension on you can't move, unless you put the Kmember back on. After you have to get the motor off it, You need a engine crane or something for that anway. And everything still on the engine your going to need to remove anyway. I bet you spend more time wrestling and muscling heavy parts this "easy way" you have to get the Kmeber back on the car with the shocks floping around. Then you have to bleed the brakes on the car too. And most people ther 1st time will damage more things on the car dropping it out the bottom. First timers lower the Kemeber and have brake lines and wiring still hooked up they damage, and have to fix or buy new ones, brake off sensors ect. You really need 2 bays drop it out the bottem, or one and you take the motor off the K outside and work out there for a while. If you have good weather. And just push all the parts under the lifter car and leave it like that for the 2-3 days/weeks/months it take you. And you dont move the car, have a big shop to have a dead car there on a rack the whole time. Or 2 bays home garage to work in the other.

Out the top (done it with the trans on, auto and m6) if kinda helps to tilt the motor way back. But it will dump more coolant and trans fuild so be ready for that. You have to have the ballencer off, the crank snout barly fits. a smaller UD have more room with tiped, if you have your rad top cut its really easy, or just notched for ram air duct, its a huge help the ballencer and crank snout fit. Or take the trans off, you can turn the motor sideways a little to get it out.You gain a little more room (1/2) not removing the wipers, just loosing up the cowl trim to you can pull it up a little and back, or keep it strait with the ballancer off. You dont have to take the hood off too to go out the top, I think one time had to pop off the struts and pick the hood up a little more, but dont have to remove it. Its also a huge help to take the nose off the car, if you do it alot it takes 10mins, or you crane dosnt have a long boom. But thats all you have to do to the car, and you can move it easy. I found most people that have done it both ways will take it out the top. You dont realy hear anyone thats dont both say the bottom works out better for them, unless you have smaller personal shop with a lift your only working on that one car for a while.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow so many posts the thing is i wanted to remove it through the bottom because i was going to swap front suspensions with another car because mine got damaged in an accident but it seems to be a lot of trouble indeed
Old 12-15-2012, 01:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

is there a motor in the other car? just changing the Aarms or the K to?
Old 12-15-2012, 04:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by needtransam
Wow so many posts the thing is i wanted to remove it through the bottom because i was going to swap front suspensions with another car because mine got damaged in an accident but it seems to be a lot of trouble indeed
Its really not that hard. It took me 2 hours to get mine out of the bottom going super slow. I used 2 jacks and a dolly and it worked fine for me. Some people say the suspension is too hard to deal with etc. It isn't that hard if you take your time. There are countless write-ups on here and other sites on how to remove the k member.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No motor they took out the front suspension from a donor car

Quick Reply: Do you need a lift to take out the engine from the bottom?