Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hke vs texas speed

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 04:04 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor @ Texas Speed & Perf.
I'll first start by saying that you have many choices in whom you choose for your LS-based engine, and we appreciate you considering TSP for your engine builder and supplier. Below is a link that will give you some insight on our engines and machining process:

http://www.texas-speed.com/t-Enginebuildinfo.aspx

We have been in business for 10 years, and we have a 25,000 sq. ft. facility that houses $1 million of CNC machines and other equipment for our engine and cylinder head programs. We offer such standard services as blue printing your engine block to GM factory specifications, something that nobody else offers in the LS-based engine building business. Most block machines will bore/hone a cylinder wherever it ended up in the block during the casting process. Our CNC block machine actually allows us to locate the cylinders where they should be, not where they end up. Everything in GM has an acceptable variance, and the cylinders can be as much as .003" off one direction or another! We also check each deck surface of the block in SIX different places on each side using the CNC probe to see exactly where the deck surface is at out of the box. Most other machines will check the deck at each end and just mill it to the lowest of the two measurements. Not the best idea if the block has any low spots in it, which many of them do! I can go on and on, but we use machinery for our engine machining and assembly process that many others do not. We also have lead assemblers in the industry. Our two lead assemblers have both assembled over 1,000 LS-based engines each! They are well-versed in what they do, and our reputation speaks for itself. We build over 350 short-block and long-block LS-based engines each year. We also build engines for other shops, one of which builds 1,380 RWHP kit cars.

Why do we not offer a formal warranty? It's because we cannot control the remaining assembly, installation, or tuning of the engine. We tell our customers every day that we will ALWAYS stand behind our work! With that said, you're also buying expertise. You never hear of a TSP engine that shows up and has an issue on start-up that is build-related. We do this for a living, and we also have stringent quality control processes in place to make sure that problems don't arise. We are well established in the LSx market, and you know that we are here to stay. We are here long after the purchase to help in any way. We also ship every TSP engine with a case of Joe Gibbs break-in oil to ensure proper sealing of the rings on start-up and the first few hundred miles of your new engine. Your engine will come complete with break-in instructions, windage tray spacers for stroker applications, and reassurance that you've bought the best available. If we do not have a short-block in stock that will suit your needs, we can have one completed within two weeks. We even offer an expedite service for those customers needing a short-block or long-block engine built within a few days!

Feel free to give any of our salesmen a call to discuss your wants and needs for an engine. We are always here to help in any way possible!

Trevor
Texas Speed & Performance
Not an understatement when it comes to blocks being off. I used a similar cnc machine when I did my block. The probe found the bores .0025 shifted and the deck .006 off from end to end. The blueprint hole tells the tale.

Carry on.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:08 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think it's safe to say, which ever shop you chose, you will not be let down.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JoeyGC5
Your lucky, bad experience years ago, no further comment. If had to build another engine if would be LME, then HKE.
I've seen a 383, and 3 408's still running that were built by TSP.

One had a nitrous backfire, and the shortblock is still running after replacing the heads and intake assembly. They are built to suit specific applications.

Im sorry you had a bad experience tho, I would like to hear what happened so I can make my own judgements later down the road.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LeanPocket
I've seen a 383, and 3 408's still running that were built by TSP.

One had a nitrous backfire, and the shortblock is still running after replacing the heads and intake assembly. They are built to suit specific applications.

Im sorry you had a bad experience tho, I would like to hear what happened so I can make my own judgements later down the road.
Leanpocket, my issues with them were in 07 and since then I have friends who have and haven't been pleased with them. Their QC and products maybe much better now, however I will never recommend anything from them.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bww3588
I think it's safe to say, which ever shop you chose, you will not be let down.
I agree.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Leanpocket, my issues with them were in 07 and since then I have friends who have and haven't been pleased with them. Their QC and products maybe much better now, however I will never recommend anything from them.
Sorry to hear about the issues. I'm sure now days their products are waayy better. Havent heard of ppl complaining or having issues with their TSP products.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thompson motorsports is another option if going by location, it is unbelievable what they will cover if something goes wrong.. Almost a no questions asked.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:59 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TermnEatr
When I hear highly respected ls builder I think kup and billy briggs. Im sure erik knows his **** but I wouldnt say hes the most highly respected. Back on topic both shops are good I would trust both as equal for me i would go tsp only because they are alot closer to me where I can actually meet face to face with who im giving my hard earned money to. Gl with whatever you decide.
X2^. TSP is close to me. I actually was going to try Thompson Motorsports in DFW, and found a deal on a TSP 408.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:54 PM
FormerVendor

I wanted to also mention that although we are known for our sleeved blocks and sleeved short blocks, we also have 384's, 408's and 416ci stock sleeve short blocks.

All our stock sleeve short blocks come with Callies Compstar crankshafts, Callies Compstar H-Beam rods, Wiseco pistons, Clevite bearings, balanced, blueprinted and assembled for 3650.00. If you don't have a core block it would be an additional 1300.00 and if you wanted a set of ARP main studs it's only an additional 200.00

With adding all those options the cost is only 5150.00 and that's with you supplying nothing and only 3650.00 if you had the core for exchange and didn't want the ARP main studs.

Please look around and compare those prices with the good parts we are providing and you'll see how good these short block prices are. Please let us know if we can help. Thanks!
Old 12-20-2012, 02:01 PM
Banned

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

We offer a TMS 408 with diamond pistons -2cc flat top for as little as $3699 with no core. Our motors will go up from there. We have a WRITTEN warranty on all of our motors and have warrantied a motor that was started and run with no oil as well as a motor that came back with a melted piston and bent connecting rod from extreme detonation. We stand behind our engines far more than we should and our number 1 priority is customer service. We will not let you down.
Just to throw it out there we also have forged piston and rod 370CI LQ9 motors starting at $2799, This has become our most popular motor. We also have custom piston 370s like the one in many tech members cars including Lemons12 above that will start at $2959.
Old 12-20-2012, 02:55 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Sorry to hear we're still beating a dead horse. It actually goes further back to 2004/2005, if memory serves me right. Our processes, machining, and QC have changed drastically in the last five years. All of our machine work is 100% in-house now. It was not when you dealt with us years ago. Nobody uses the same precision machining that we now use. That's not a cut on anyone. It's just a fact. There are many great engine builders in the LSx industry, and competition is a good thing!

Last edited by Trevor @ Texas Speed & Perf.; 12-20-2012 at 03:23 PM.
Old 12-20-2012, 03:20 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by thompson
We offer a TMS 408 with diamond pistons -2cc flat top for as little as $3699 with no core. Our motors will go up from there. We have a WRITTEN warranty on all of our motors and have warrantied a motor that was started and run with no oil as well as a motor that came back with a melted piston and bent connecting rod from extreme detonation. We stand behind our engines far more than we should and our number 1 priority is customer service. We will not let you down.
Just to throw it out there we also have forged piston and rod 370CI LQ9 motors starting at $2799, This has become our most popular motor. We also have custom piston 370s like the one in many tech members cars including Lemons12 above that will start at $2959.
You warranty other people's mistakes?! Even GM figured out that was suicide. We, as well, stand behind our products and have done so for 10 years. All of our policies that we have in place are more than fair, and they will allow us to continue to succeed in both build quality and reputation well into the future. With that said, we also expect customers to be liable for their mistakes if we are to be liable for ours. We maintain excellent customer service, and we always help whenever possible. If a customer has an issue, we will help them as much as we can. We offer not only excellent customer service but the best machining available in this industry. We sell over 300 LS-based engines each year. All machining and assembly is done in-house at our facility, and we also offer online tours for the customers that do not have the opportunity to visit us locally. We feel it is important for customers to also see what goes into the build process. Our 408 CID iron-blocks will start at $3,999 with no core charge. We don't use any used blocks or parts, so all of our prices are outright. The base package will come with the Lunati crankshaft and connecting rods with ARP 2000 bolts, Wiseco pistons with steel top/napier 2nd ring set, machined windage tray spacers to clear the additional stroke, and a case of Joe Gibbs Break-In Oil to ensure proper break-in and sealing of the piston rings.

Again, lots of choices for just about anything LS-related in this industry. Do your research, and choose the facility that meets your needs and makes you feel most comfortable with your purchase. Some base their purchase on reputation, some use geographical location, and some use price. Some use a little of all of them. Pick what is important to you. Feel free to give us a call if you have any questions.

Here is a link that will provide you with some additional information on what we offer. We will be updating it soon to provide more information to our customers. We want everyone to see what goes into our engines so they can see it for themselves. We don't want anyone to just take our word for it.

https://www.texas-speed.com/t-Enginebuildinfo.aspx

Trevor
Texas Speed & Performance

Last edited by Trevor @ Texas Speed & Perf.; 12-20-2012 at 05:14 PM.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:38 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well guys i went aheads an ordered a tsp motor. they know their stuff, i spoke with jake numerous times and hes been nothing but helpful he literaly went over every singe thing. i have a great feeling about this motor. it should be here in about a week so once i put it in il let you guys know how she is.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

TSP- https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...s-blew-up.html
Old 12-21-2012, 04:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by thompson
Friend of mine also ordered close to the same short block I went with!

Kyle probably shouldn't have warrantied that motor from a money profit aspect on THAT motor... However, I would put money on it that he picked up several new short block customers because of that. I will be a returning customer to Kyle and always highly recommend him for many reasons.

The smaller shops HAVE to give 100% as far as customer service goes, and TMS does. A lot of larger vendors sometimes don't seem to care unless they have a credit card number.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:02 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by lemons12
Friend of mine also ordered close to the same short block I went with!

Kyle probably shouldn't have warrantied that motor from a money profit aspect on THAT motor... However, I would put money on it that he picked up several new short block customers because of that. I will be a returning customer to Kyle and always highly recommend him for many reasons.

The smaller shops HAVE to give 100% as far as customer service goes, and TMS does. A lot of larger vendors sometimes don't seem to care unless they have a credit card number.
We absolutely care. That's how we have gained our reputation over the last 10 years. There is a difference in doing what is right and doing what is financial suicide. Every other engine builder in this industry (or any industry) will agree.

Everyone have a merry Christmas!
Old 12-21-2012, 06:03 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by johnny89345
well guys i went aheads an ordered a tsp motor. they know their stuff, i spoke with jake numerous times and hes been nothing but helpful he literaly went over every singe thing. i have a great feeling about this motor. it should be here in about a week so once i put it in il let you guys know how she is.
Thank you for your order! We appreciate you trusting us with your engine build. Yet another plus for a TSP engine...short wait times.

Have a merry Christmas!
Old 12-22-2012, 03:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

We absolutely care. That's how we have gained our reputation over the last 10 years. There is a difference in doing what is right and doing what is financial suicide. Every other engine builder in this industry (or any industry) will agree.

Well, that in no means was directed towards any shop/sponsor/etc... I was just putting it out that unlike some (nobody in particular) TMS/Kyle will spend hours (literally) with you talking before you ever even say you are going to purchase. It was one of many reasons I chose him, I got everything answered 100% and in depth, sometimes more than I cared to know but I love to learn!

Since you took it as a statement towards TSP..
As far as reputation over the last 10 years, it goes both ways. I have absolutely ZERO bad things to say about TSP or anybody that works there, I have and always will recommend you guys as a top shop/choice... However, there is are a couple small reasons why I chose TMS over TSP and they are extremely valid and there are reasons that at times I will suggest to use a different shop with "XXXX" question.

If it makes you feel any better, the ultimate choice was the price difference.

Any company listed in this thread will 100% stand behind their product and will definitely make a top notch product, it has been shown over and over!

Merry Christmas to you and everyone else as well.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:13 AM
Banned

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I am sure it was not intended to be dis respectful what was said. TSP has a great reputation and we here at TMS have huge respect for all that you do at TSP. You have done some amazing things when it comes to operating a very respectable and reputable business.
As far as financial suicide I can assure you that it was a each and every decision made is a calculated move, I know you know what I am talking about. We take huge pride in our motors and just wanted to make sure that there would be no hard feelings with any of our customers regardless of fault. We also have so few that come back that it makes it a little easier to take care of them if they by some chance do even if it was never our fault to begin with.
Thank you,
Kyle
Merry Christmas

Quick Reply: hke vs texas speed