Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 383 15K miles smoking at WOT

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 07:11 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS1 383 15K miles smoking at WOT

So I have a 383 setup with a good set of TFS heads/FAST intake, big cam etc etc. THe motor has about 15K on it and the valvetrain about 7k. The car runs hard, doesnt smoke unles I am wide open banging gears. WHen I say smoke, it smokes when you let off the gas. The guy who works on the car said the rings were worn and that causes a change in crankcase pressure forcing oil out(I think I got that right). I think he is right, but is there anything else that could be causing this? I just do not understand why you dont see anything during normal driving? 15K miles doesnt seem like much for the rings to wear. Is there something I can do with the PCV system or something? I really do not understand what is going on and dont really want to throw a new motor in.

Any help would be appreciated.

Matt
Old 12-16-2012, 07:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My low mile LS1 did the same thing in the spring, it ended up being the #7 piston. I ended up doing a 408. I hope you find the problem and it is minor.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

do a leak down test,if you hear air coming out the oil filler cap you have ring blow by.if your engine was not broken in properly your ring could be bad.after you get on it ,you create hot oil vapor and pressure in the crank case.try a new pcv valve ,or look for hose leaks if you are using the stock pcv system.consider a catch can,or maybe a vacuum pump.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Normally smoking when you let off the gas is valve seals or guides. When you let off the gas it pulls oil into the cylinder. I had the same problem after I did heads/cam. The machine shop set my heads up wrong causing valve float which destroyed my seals.

Also make sure your PCV system is in good shape.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
Normally smoking when you let off the gas is valve seals or guides. When you let off the gas it pulls oil into the cylinder. I had the same problem after I did heads/cam. The machine shop set my heads up wrong causing valve float which destroyed my seals.

Also make sure your PCV system is in good shape.
^^^ I agree. +1

Quick Reply: LS1 383 15K miles smoking at WOT