Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Octane enhancement?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2004, 08:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Octane enhancement?

I can get my hands on a consistent supply of Xylene.

I've read in past posts that it might be a good way of boosting octane. Anyone out ther know if this is a good and SAFE way of boosting octane? And if so, I need some idea of how much to use.

Thx.....
Old 04-15-2004, 11:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

just go to the hardware store it is called xylol
Old 04-15-2004, 11:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Attached is a Word Document of the same article.

I did the research on this quite a while ago and talked to various fuel experts in the field.

Backyard Chemistry: Snake Oil or Budget Miracle
Mixing your own race fuel

Backyard Chemistry: Snake Oil or Budget Miracle
The rumor mill in the automotive world is always running at full steam. Anytime gearheads get together, we stand around clucking like a group of hens. One of the rumors winding its way through the Internet, race tracks, speed shops and anywhere gearheads congregate is that anyone can make their own race gas. In an effort to get to the bottom of this, I contacted Dean Hill of New Mexico State University (retired) and Tim Wusz of 76 Performance Products.

A quick search on Google results in a large number of sites promoting the use of race fuel that you blend yourself in your backyard. Any of the racing fuel manufacturers will tell you that this is a fine idea, if you know what you are doing. Many race teams, weekend bracket racers, and hot rod owners have been doing this for years. Blending fuel on your own is totally acceptable if you have all of the necessary information. The racing fuel manufacturers have been providing formulas to the automotive community for decades that dictate how to mix race fuel and street fuel to obtain specific octane and burn characteristics. When you use a formula you find on the Internet to blend your own fuel, you are asking for trouble.

One of the earliest backyard additives was mothballs. In the days of big blocks and carburetors, a common solution to detonation was to add a few mothballs to your fuel. What seemed like a cheap and easy fix could quickly turn into a nightmare. There were three problems facing the potential mothball user. First of all, there have been three different chemicals used in the production of mothballs: napthalene, paradichlorobenzene, and camphor. If you used anything but napthalene-based mothballs, you were only going to make your situation much worse. Secondly, there was no formula for the mix. If you did not add enough mothballs, the engine would still detonate. If you added too many, pre-ignition would occur and tear the motor to pieces. The third problem is a purely modern one. It is difficult to find mothballs in this day and age due to their toxicity. The mothball has gone the way of the dinosaur and is now commonly supplanted by cedar chips or oil for household use.

The latest craze in backyard chemistry goes back a few years as well. The first groups to advocate its use that I can remember are the Buick Grand National and T-Type owners. Since that time, its use has spread throughout the ranks of the import and domestic sub-compacts, late model Ford and GM, and even the carbureted GM, Ford, and Mopar crowd. This backyard chemistry involves mixing toluene, xylene, methyl-tertiary-butyl-ether (MTBE), methanol, ethanol, isopropyl alcohol, or tertiary-butyl-alcohol with transmission fluid and mineral spirits. All of these chemicals can be purchased at your neighborhood hardware store for less than the cost of a gallon of 110-octane race fuel. If you are willing to make a few trips and do a little mixing, you can cut the cost of your fuel bill by at least half. As with most things in life, if it seems too good to be true, it probably is.

There are a couple of major flaws in this bit of chemistry. The first major flaw is the assumption that bulk additives like xylene and toluene create a linear increase in octane. At best, these bulk additives increase octane by a few points and should not be used in amounts greater than 5% - 20%, depending on the additive. Some additives will do no harm above their specified limit. Some become increasingly dangerous. Below is a breakdown of the bulk additives and their limits.

Toluene and Xylene: Both may be used as an additive to increase octane. You may add
up to 20% of either and either will add approximately two
points to the octane number. In general, you are not going to hurt
your engine by adding xylene or toluene. If you add more than
20%, you may as well be dumping it down the drain because you
will find no benefits above 20%. When adding toluene to a base
fuel (such as 92-octane pump gas) the exhaust emissions increase.
Many people could care less about anything other than mandatory
emissions compliance, but your car is trying to tell you that you are
burning fuel less efficiently and losing potential horsepower.

MTBE: MTBE may be used as an additive in quantities of 5% or less.
There are no benefits to be found above 5%. If you are going to
mix your own fuel you are better off spending your hard earned
cash on toluene or xylene.

Methanol: Methanol does not mix well with gasoline. Do not use it.

Ethanol: Ethanol is an interesting case. It mixes well with gasoline,
but has some inherent limitations. The limitation of ethanol
is that unless it has been redistilled with benzene it always
contains 5% water. When used in quantities greater than 10%
it introduces enough water into the system to cause detonation.

Isopropyl Alcohol: Do not use

Here is one of the common Internet recipes for an “Octane Booster”. This is supposed to make eight sixteen-ounce bottles.

100 oz of toluene for octane boost
25 oz of mineral spirits (cleaning agent)
3 oz of transmission fluid (lubricating agent)

We know that toluene will raise octane. However the addition of mineral spirits and transmission fluid do no good whatsoever. The octane increase that would be experienced with the toluene is nullified or severely limited by the inclusion of mineral spirits and transmission fluid. In addition to reducing the overall octane, the inclusion of automatic transmission fluid will reduce horsepower, increase exhaust emissions, reduce spark plug life, increase combustion chamber deposits, reduce the effectiveness of the catalytic converter, reduce the life of the oxygen sensor, and increase crankcase dilution. What this recipe manages to create is a decent cleanser for your garage floor with a nifty red color -- not something to put in a gas tank..

The single most effective additive you can use is tetraethyl lead. All race fuels with ratings greater than 110-octane contain this additive. But even this miracle compound has its share of problems. The first major issue is the simple fact that you (the consumer) cannot buy it. It is an incredibly toxic compound and therefore highly regulated. The second hurdle is that it contains lead. If your car is designed to run unleaded gasoline, you are going to run into a lot of problems trying to run a leaded fuel. You can plan on replacing your catalytic converters and O2 sensors shortly after your experiment with tetraethyl lead.

Dean Hill (who knows how to design fuel; he invented H&H Super Blue, the fuel that powered Bob Glidden to 81 straight wins) recommends Iso Octane (2, 2, 4 Trimethylpentane—a derivative of butane similar to MTBE but lacking methanol) blended with 20% toluene. This will yield a 110-octane race fuel that will knock your socks off. Be prepared to spend some of that cash you are trying to save because Iso Octane is only sold in bulk barrels and it runs about $10/gallon. That is not a real budget miracle, is it? But if you are determined to mix your own fuel, do it right.

Before you run off and try any of this, stop and think for a minute. This is a very basic article and even it should show that it takes more than a little backyard chemistry to produce an effective, safe racing fuel. Nearly all of the chemicals listed are incredibly toxic so please be careful if you are going to try any of this on your own. The best advice I can provide is to leave fuel development to the professionals. I doubt any of you blend your own oil or make your own tires so do not try blending your own fuel. You are more likely to give yourself a new batch of problems than to solve your existing ones.

Denzil Burriss
Denzil@autotechforums.com
11/04/2003

Copyright © by AutoTech Technical Forums and Articles All Right Reserved.
Attached Files
File Type: doc
Backyard_Chemistry.doc (26.0 KB, 216 views)

Last edited by DenzSS; 04-15-2004 at 11:47 AM.
Old 04-15-2004, 12:05 PM
Staging Lane

Hey DenzSS,
Your article states that ethanol has water in it when distilled and that more than 10% the water will cause detonation. How can water cause detonation? I have heard of water causing misfires but certainly not detonation. Water injection systems are used in many forced induction applications to prevent detonation.
Chris
Old 04-15-2004, 12:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Water injection is a stop-gap measure at best. It will work, but is an incorrect way to decrease the sensitivity to detonation. Water injection is a band-aid to a fuel issue. It also depends on how much water is injected. It is merely working as an intercooling agent on the incoming charge, much as a rich A/F mixture is used on a lot of old school roots blower forced induction engines.

The intercooling effect of water injection is offset by the reduction in octane.
Old 04-15-2004, 12:19 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DenzSS
Water injection is a stop-gap measure at best. It will work, but is an incorrect way to decrease the sensitivity to detonation. Water injection is a band-aid to a fuel issue. It also depends on how much water is injected. It is merely working as an intercooling agent on the incoming charge, much as a rich A/F mixture is used on a lot of old school roots blower forced induction engines.

The intercooling effect of water injection is offset by the reduction in octane.
Water has an excellent heat of vaporization therefore cooling the gas mixture in the combustion chamber. It is a very economical (cheap) alternative as opposed to buying higher octane rating fuels, especially in commercial applications. It can raise emission levels by preventing complete combustion but so can running rich just to prevent detonation. Also, water has no octane rating since it is non-combustable so how does that reduce the overall octane rating?
Chris
Old 04-15-2004, 12:27 PM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't necessarily agree with several parts of that article. Nor, do I mix in a bunch of tranny fluid or MMO if I were to mix up a batch of Octane Booster.

Here is the article on how to mix Xyelne or Toluene.

The Rocket Fuel FAQ:
http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/misc...explained.html

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/misc/octanebooster.html

Richard Lassiter's "How to Mix Your Own Brew"
FORMULA 1
Toulene
R+M/2...114
Cost...$2.50/gal
Mixtures with 92 Octane Premium
10%...94.2 Octane
20%...96.4 Octane
30%...98.6 Octane
Notes: Common ingredient in Octane Boosters in a can. 12-16 ounces will only raise octane 2-3 *points*, I.e. from 92 to 92.3. Often costs $3-5 for 12-16 ounces, when it can be purchased for less than $3/gal at chemical supply houses or paint stores.
FORMULA 2
Xylene
R+M/2...117
Cost...$2.75/gal
10%...94.5 Octane
20%...97.0 Octane
30%...99.5 Octane
Notes: Similar to Toulene. 12-16 ounces will only raise octane 2-3 *points*, I.e. from 92 to 92.3. Usually mixed with Toulene and advertised as *race formula*.

FORMULA 3
Methyl-tertiary-butyl-ether (MTBE)
R+M/2...118
Cost...$3.50/gal
10%...94.6 Octane
20%...97.2 Octane
30%...99.8 Octane
Notes: Oxygenate. Very common in octane booster products. Has lower BTU content than toulene or xylene, but oxygenate effect makes the gasoline burn better and produce more energy.

FORMULA 4
Methanol or Ethanol
R+M/2...101
Cost...$0.60 - $1.75/gal
10%...94.3 Octane (Methanol)
10%...94.7 Octane (Ethanol)
20%...Not Recommended
Notes: Methanol is wood alcohol. Ethanol is grain alcohol and found in Gasohol in 10% ratios. Both alcohols are mildly corrosive and will eat gas tank linings, rubber and aluminum if used in excessive ratios. Main ingredient in "Gas Dryers", combines with water.

FORMULA 5
Isopropyl Alcohol and Tertiary Butyl Alcohol
R+M/2...101
Cost...$0.60-$1.50/gal
10%...94.5 Octane
20%...Not Recommended
30%...Not Recommended
Notes: Similar to Methanol/Ethanol. Isopropyl Alcohol is simply rubbing alcohol.

MAKE YOUR OWN OCTANE BOOST
How to make your own octane booster (this is the basic formula of one of the popular octane booster products). To make eight 16 ounce bottles (128 oz = 1 gal):

100 oz of toulene for octane boost
25 oz of mineral spirits (cleaning agent)
3 oz of transmission fluid (lubricating agent)

This product is advertised as "octane booster with cleaning agent *and* lubricating agent!". Diesel fuel or kerosene can be substituted for mineral spirits and light turbine oil can be substituted for transmission fluid. Color can be added with petroleum dyes
Old 04-15-2004, 12:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

I used to mix 1 gallon of xylene with a tank of gas in my blown LT1, it would keep it from detonating, but would burn the **** out of your eyes!
Old 04-15-2004, 12:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by rotarnomore
Water has an excellent heat of vaporization therefore cooling the gas mixture in the combustion chamber. It is a very economical (cheap) alternative as opposed to buying higher octane rating fuels, especially in commercial applications. It can raise emission levels by preventing complete combustion but so can running rich just to prevent detonation. Also, water has no octane rating since it is non-combustable so how does that reduce the overall octane rating?
Chris
I'll agree on the emissions statements.

I'll also agree that water is non-combustable. What you have to consider is the fact that the Air/Fuel ratio is molar in nature. When you add non-combustables to the A/F charge, you are decreasing the amount of combustable material in the chamber, thus increasing the A/F ratio.

The information in that article came directly from Tim Wusz (Rockett Fuel, formerly 76. The guy in charge of fuel at the Hot Rod pump gas challenge) and Dr. Dean Hill. Dean Hill pioneered much of the Nitro-Methane use in top fuel as well as being Bob Glidden's fuel designer/engineer.
Old 04-15-2004, 12:38 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by J-Rod
I don't necessarily agree with several parts of that article. Nor, do I mix in a bunch of tranny fluid or MMO if I were to mix up a batch of Octane Booster.

FORMULA 4
Methanol or Ethanol
R+M/2...101
Cost...$0.60 - $1.75/gal
10%...94.3 Octane (Methanol)
10%...94.7 Octane (Ethanol)
20%...Not Recommended
Notes: Methanol is wood alcohol. Ethanol is grain alcohol and found in Gasohol in 10% ratios. Both alcohols are mildly corrosive and will eat gas tank linings, rubber and aluminum if used in excessive ratios. Main ingredient in "Gas Dryers", combines with water.
Corrosion of (especially) fuel lines is the reason I had heard not to use alcohols. You really need to be careful with any of these "homebrew" octane boosters. You need to make sure a homogeneous mixture is obtained and that it is compatible with all the equioment (injectors, fuel lines, etc). I remember when my old 87 Nissan 200sx was recalled because 93 octane ate away at the fuel system (had to do with the ingredients in 93). Funny thing was I disregarded the recall and a week later an o-ring busted on my fuel injector. This was years ago when I used to think 93 octane was better even though the manufacturer recommended 89.
Chris
Old 04-15-2004, 12:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

BTW--the GN/T-type info you posted is incorrect. They have incorrectly calculated the octane levels. Too much to go into technically, but I can guarantee they are in no way correct.
Old 04-15-2004, 01:24 PM

I'll agree on the emissions statements.

I'll also agree that water is non-combustable. What you have to consider is the fact that the Air/Fuel ratio is molar in nature. When you add non-combustables to the A/F charge, you are decreasing the amount of combustable material in the chamber, thus increasing the A/F ratio.

The information in that article came directly from Tim Wusz (Rockett Fuel, formerly 76. The guy in charge of fuel at the Hot Rod pump gas challenge) and Dr. Dean Hill. Dean Hill pioneered much of the Nitro-Methane use in top fuel as well as being Bob Glidden's fuel designer/engineer.
You need to look at what they are citing. They are citing the "how to" for making a bottle of octane boost, which we all know is only worth .2 to .3 overall. I'll admit I was skeptical also, but I had a long debate over the benefits of doing it yourself over paying $4.75 for 104 at the track. The person I debated it with on Turbobuick works at one of the refineries doing testing in the labs, and had done some of his own testing, with favorable results in his lab.

Since Toulene is part of gasoline. I think up to 14% in racing fuel, adding Tolulene or Xylene would still qualify it as "gas" as you haven't changed the spec radically.

The one thing you see in boosted applications is the gas gets much less sensitive to detonation. This is very apparent in boosted cars like GN's and Supras, hence its popularity.

I agree if you dump gallons of transmission fluid in your tank, the car will probably have some of the issues cited. Many folks add a bit of lubricant since Xylene and Toluene tend to dry out things like fuel pumps, etc...
Old 04-15-2004, 01:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

As an example:
FORMULA 3
Methyl-tertiary-butyl-ether (MTBE)
R+M/2...118
Cost...$3.50/gal
10%...94.6 Octane
20%...97.2 Octane
30%...99.8 Octane
The calculation is incorrect and as stated in the article. Above 5%, there is no effective increase of octane. The formulas you posted are far from correct.

I'm not arguing that Xylene cannot be used. It obviously can and is. The trick is to know what you are doing. To correctly calculate "octane" levels, you have to know the constituents of the base fuel. That is information that 99.9% of the population does not have.

Xylene and many of the others are just heavy aeromatics. Many are used in performance fuels.
Old 04-15-2004, 01:42 PM

As an example:

The calculation is incorrect and as stated in the article. Above 5%, there is no effective increase of octane. The formulas you posted are far from correct.

I'm not arguing that Xylene cannot be used. It obviously can and is. The trick is to know what you are doing. To correctly calculate "octane" levels, you have to know the constituents of the base fuel. That is information that 99.9% of the population does not have.

Xylene and many of the others are just heavy aeromatics. Many are used in performance fuels.
Look at your own article that you posted.

recommends Iso Octane blended with 20% toluene.

Toluene has a RON octane rating of 121 and a MON rating of 107, leading to a (R+M)/2 rating of 114. (R+M)/2 is how ordinary fuels are rated in the US. Note that toluene has a sensitivity rating of 121-107=14. This compares favorably with alcohols which have sensitivities in the 20-30 range. The more sensitive a fuel is the more its performance degrades under load. Toluene's low sensitivity means that it is an excellent fuel for a heavily loaded engine.

Toluene is denser than ordinary gasoline (0.87 g/mL vs. 0.72-0.74) and contains more energy per unit volume. Thus combustion of toluene leads to more energy being liberated and thus more power generated. This is in contrast to oxygenated octane boosters like ethanol or MTBE which contain less energy per unit volume compared to gasoline. The higher heating value of toluene also means that the exhaust gases contain more kinetic energy, which in turn means that there is more energy to drive turbocharger vanes. In practical terms this is experienced as a faster onset of turbo boost.

Chevron's published composition of 100 octane aviation fuel shows that toluene comprises up to 14% alone and is the predominant aromatic hydrocarbon. Unfortunately composition specifications for automotive gasoline is harder to pin down due to constantly changing requirements.

I'm not saying folks shouldn't run race gas if they can get it. But often times folks are in a pinch and need a cheap way to boost octane. This is one way to do that effectively.
Old 04-15-2004, 01:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

What in the hell are you talking about? You don't mix nitro-methane with pump gas.
Old 04-15-2004, 01:46 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by sawedoff
Your fuel will also be oxygenated, since nitromethane is 48.5% oxygen by weight.

www.pricechemical.com
Nitromethane has 52.5% oxygen by weight.
Chris
Old 04-15-2004, 01:46 PM

What in the hell are you talking about? You don't mix nitro-methane with pump gas.
No you don't. Nitro methane doesn't mix with gas, but certain other nitrobased compounds will mix with gas. In the concetration you mix them with, the gains are fairly small on a car. I know some folks in the motorcycle world use them since they do see some gains in the 2 cycle world.

they call it Nitromethane, but in reality its more than likely Nitropropane with a blending agent.
Old 04-15-2004, 01:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by J-Rod
Look at your own article that you posted.

recommends Iso Octane blended with 20% toluene.

Toluene has a RON octane rating of 121 and a MON rating of 107, leading to a (R+M)/2 rating of 114. (R+M)/2 is how ordinary fuels are rated in the US. Note that toluene has a sensitivity rating of 121-107=14. This compares favorably with alcohols which have sensitivities in the 20-30 range. The more sensitive a fuel is the more its performance degrades under load. Toluene's low sensitivity means that it is an excellent fuel for a heavily loaded engine.

Toluene is denser than ordinary gasoline (0.87 g/mL vs. 0.72-0.74) and contains more energy per unit volume. Thus combustion of toluene leads to more energy being liberated and thus more power generated. This is in contrast to oxygenated octane boosters like ethanol or MTBE which contain less energy per unit volume compared to gasoline. The higher heating value of toluene also means that the exhaust gases contain more kinetic energy, which in turn means that there is more energy to drive turbocharger vanes. In practical terms this is experienced as a faster onset of turbo boost.

Chevron's published composition of 100 octane aviation fuel shows that toluene comprises up to 14% alone and is the predominant aromatic hydrocarbon. Unfortunately composition specifications for automotive gasoline is harder to pin down due to constantly changing requirements.

I'm not saying folks shouldn't run race gas if they can get it. But often times folks are in a pinch and need a cheap way to boost octane. This is one way to do that effectively.
In general, I'll agree with that statement.

Two things to note here:
1. You should never use aviation fuel. It is formulated for endurance at altitude. Just a FYI for those reading this thread.

2. I agree. Tough to pin down and constantly changing. That is why I don't advocate mixing your own race fuel.

As far as using it for those who do not have access to race fuel, I'll agree. Xylene is a very good option up until 20%. Adding mineral spirits, ATF fluid, and other "lubricants and cleansers" is incredibly foolish.
Old 04-15-2004, 01:49 PM

Go read up on it guys. I'm just trying to help. Their site will more than answer your debate.

Last edited by sawedoff; 04-15-2004 at 03:53 PM.
Old 04-15-2004, 01:54 PM

In general, I'll agree with that statement.

Two things to note here:
1. You should never use aviation fuel. It is formulated for endurance at altitude. Just a FYI for those reading this thread.

2. I agree. Tough to pin down and constantly changing. That is why I don't advocate mixing your own race fuel.

As far as using it for those who do not have access to race fuel, I'll agree. Xylene is a very good option up until 20%. Adding mineral spirits, ATF fluid, and other "lubricants and cleansers" is incredibly foolish.
I don't agree with using airplane fuel either, just citing the known spec on it. In a carb'd application it can lead to Vapor locking from the fact that it has a low Reid Vapor Pressure. In FI cars it is not an issue since the lines are pressurized, vapor lock is never an issue. Also the fact that most aviation fuel is still leaded means dead 02s in a very short period.

If I were to mix octane boost, I would only mix Toluene or Xylene, and leave everything else out. If you want to add something, go buy a bottle of Techron additive from Chevron.

As for mixing Nitro from earlier. If you do mix nitro in a FI car you'd better drain the fuel in 24 hrs or less and flush the lines, as Nitro based compounds are agressive (read that as corrosive) to your stock fuel system, pump, injectors, seals, etc....

Quick Reply: Octane enhancement?