Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AFR 205's "Maiden Voyage"....

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2004, 05:14 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

So, despite all the claims, and adverts for places selling these, they arent actually available yet ?????
Old 04-17-2004, 05:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
So, despite all the claims, and adverts for places selling these, they arent actually available yet ?????

Nope
Old 04-17-2004, 05:28 PM
Launching!

I don't know if I'm suppoesed to create links but if you go over to www.z06vette.com AAAndy is installing them with the same cam/double roller timing chains and tuned for 4500 to the first five customers ..as a promo..

The 224/228 .581 lift is a mild cam to be producing 450 rwhp and 410lb/ft of torque..with any stage II lS6 heads that cost about the same (give or take a few dollars) and you don't have your core heads to make available for sale..)

Which is why its on www.z06vette.com first I would imagine..

Less out of pocket as someones always willing to buy ls6 heads for their ls1 inexpensively (900?)..effectively making the AFR heads an easier purchase decision..

2400 - 900 = 1500? + 350 for install if you have a cam already..
Old 04-17-2004, 11:42 PM
12 Second Club

I have the stock heads/cam on my car. I will wait patiently until October to decide if this new AFR offering is for me. Until then its amusing with the teasing, if you really want to sell, appeal to the buyer, what are their needs, listen to the buyer, they will tell you what they want. Sounds like they want sound factual information.
Old 04-18-2004, 12:34 AM
On The Tree

and springs good to .600 lift!!!
Old 04-18-2004, 12:37 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chucks97ss
Yeah, but the difference is now they have our money

Later,
Chuck

And this is supposed to be comforting info?!
Old 04-18-2004, 12:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 61 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by got_hp?
that was with unported afr's.........id expert quality ported afr's to go well over 500rw on stock bottom ends.
At 2500 a set, that is what they should get compared to. The heads are more than likely maxed out with the size valves already in them. East coast supercharging has seen 350cfm out of LS6 heads. I would also like to point out that your statement of what these magical heads WILL do once they are made are silly. What the hell do you base 500rwhp on? they are gonna get another 50rwhp out of porting these heads? I have seen all this hype before with the LT1 heads that wound up being my big mistake.....hence why I AM bashing here. I got ripped off. They gave nothing better in performance unless recycling your antifreeze is something you think is good. Don't tell me what they WILL do once hey are ported. You dont even know what they do unported except for the hype you read.

Without the LSX manifold, that set-up would be about 435-440. 430 is a cam only deal for LG's X3 cam with stock LS6 heads, a stock manifold, and it has been repeated by customers. Where is the great perfoprmance? If AFR was trying to show how good their heads are why are they putting them on a modded car with top notch expensive parts no one has? Put the damn things on a stock car or do a before and after dyno with ONLY the heads as the variable. Or at least get a baseline with the car before you put the heads on. Oh we ran out of time, oh the dyno broke, oh will will take them back off for a baseline. If AFR had any intention of doing a baseline dyno for a true before and after comparrison, that baseline would have been the FIRST pull. I can't beleive people hear 450 and they are jumping on the heads because of the test car's dyno pull. LSX tests showed a 15-20hp gain yet some people got nothing.....man get the damn heads out to tuners and lets see real cars with numbers before these long azz posts about what magic they worked this time.

The way this was done was to simply confuse. $2500
Old 04-18-2004, 12:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ArcticFormula
I have the stock heads/cam on my car. I will wait patiently until October to decide if this new AFR offering is for me. Until then its amusing with the teasing, if you really want to sell, appeal to the buyer, what are their needs, listen to the buyer, they will tell you what they want. Sounds like they want sound factual information.
An intelligent post. I'm with you brother. If they prove to be good I will buy them. Any credit for LT1-afr cores?
Old 04-18-2004, 04:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Comparing the AFR LS1 heads to their LT1 heads is not really a valid comparison. The numbers a porter is able to achieve with the AFR LT1 heads is very typical for a 23 degree head. You can only get so much from Chevy's old, not so great, design. I'm sorry about your experience with AFR LT1 heads... but with proper porting, they would have been better than GM heads. The problem with the GM LT1 and LT4 heads was/is the fact that you can only get so much flow until you break through the water passages. Approximately 275-280 on the LT1 castings, and around 305-310 on the LT4's. The benefit of the AFR castings was/is the fact that you have a thicker casting to work with, thus allowing to achieve more flow... BUT, at the cost of a much higher priced casting. That's why these AFR castings aren't going to be for everybody. Not everybody has 2500 dollars lying around to throw into a set of heads that only flow maybe slightly better out of the box, than a less expensive set of stock ported heads. Personally I don't care what or how they perform out of the box from AFR. It's simply the fact that I know these will better casting than the GM heads. I've seen and touched the AFR heads. They're a very nice piece. I look forward to the thicker deck and more material in the ports to work with! You can debate all you want about whether bang for the buck they're as good or better than a set of TEA's, PP's, AS's, or whatever. But personally, all I care about is making more power! And I know the LS6's aren't enough. We at HPE have reached the limit with them! We're ready for more! We've got LS6 castings flowing almost 370 cfm on a 4.000 bore. We're not messing around here. We're ready for a casting that is going to allow us to push the envelope even further. The "bolt on" debate can rage on, but it's really not the point imo. The castings is where it's at. And you really can't debate that. Just like the old LT1 castings. You just can't debate whether the GM casting is better than the AFR casting. GM is all about saving money. They make their ports and castings thin in whatever area's they can, just to save them manufacturing costs in aluminum. AFR is all about making a nice casting for serious racers to work with. So I look forward to the using AFR heads on our race cars. Because I know the .750" deck will sure hold gaskets in power adder cars a lot better than the GM heads will

Later,
Chuck
Old 04-18-2004, 04:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

hey chuck are the afr heads availible with 2.055 valves for larger displacement smaller bore motors..???????how much is a set of these heads fully ported when you get them....
Old 04-18-2004, 05:06 PM
On The Tree

i think the 225's are supposed to get 2.08's, i think thats what the website said
Old 04-18-2004, 05:27 PM
On The Tree

They say: SHOW ME THE MONEY

I say: SHOW ME THE PERFORMANCE AT THE TRACK, ASAP... WHY THE HELL ARE YOU WAITING? You should be able to go RENT a track with the money you will be getting if they are half as good as you pretend they are.
Old 04-18-2004, 06:05 PM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Thats an interesting dyno graph. All we have heard the past several months is how much of a torque increase these heads will give due to the small runners. I don't see much if any difference in the sub-4000 rpm torque on that graph compared to most any Stage 1-2 heads and similar cam cars. I seem to recall seeing several dynos of cars making 350 tq at 3000 rpms with similar sized cams. Dont get me wrong, that high rpm power is lovely, but I was expecting to see more torque.

Is that cam installed with somewhat retarded? It sure favors the upper rpms more than most other 224/228 cams I've seen dynoed. That would explain the lower torque and higher hp.
Old 04-18-2004, 06:10 PM
TECH Resident

Man that thing is tuned lean at lower rpms. That would also explain his tq loss down low. I would also fatten it up a little up top.
Old 04-18-2004, 06:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Comparing the AFR LS1 heads to their LT1 heads is not really a valid comparison.
Why not? They were the prized product back then. All I am saying is that 450 hp with a 224/228 cam is not new and certainly no great accomplishment with having used the LSX manifold/90mm TB.

The issue here is that I READ so much bull about what the heads will do and when they finally arrive it is like the LSX: 10hp if you're lucky. The cartek 2X package is a 224/228 cam and yeilds 450 to 470 with a stock manifold so where is the great new level of performance?

I am pissed about all the mega-posts with no new levels.....BUILD THE SUPER MOTOR WITH THE SUPER OUTPUT AND THEN POST. The marketing is certainly intact here. My family's company should use AFR for marketing jet charters. You guys actually have people thinking that the 450hp Tony got will yeild 500rwhp with porting.

If the performance is shown I will buy too.(and promote your product) You guys did it backwards.....first you get the buyers then you attempt performance.

Last edited by Spinmonster; 04-18-2004 at 06:48 PM.
Old 04-18-2004, 06:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

My Lt1 has AFR's heads, seemed to work for me

752 RWHP
626 RWTQ
Old 04-18-2004, 06:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wow, the S/C had nothing to do with it huh?
Old 04-18-2004, 08:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Spinmonster
You guys actually have people thinking that the 450hp Tony got will yeild 500rwhp with porting.

Well I'm sure Tony's an excellent head porter. But making 500rwhp on GM castings is almost a cake walk. So I really don't see why you would think this...

Just give the AFR's a chance. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with what they can do in the hands of some good head porters And remember... these are just the 205's... The 225's are still yet to come

Later,
Chuck
Old 04-18-2004, 09:42 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I'm sure Tony's an excellent head porter. But making 500rwhp on GM castings is almost a cake walk. So I really don't see why you would think this...

Just give the AFR's a chance. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with what they can do in the hands of some good head porters And remember... these are just the 205's... The 225's are still yet to come

Later,
Chuck
Is that cake walk 500 hp on 346 stock shortblocks ? Ive only seen a few shops do it (LG/Cartek/FMS)

I am waiting for Indendent testing before laying down the cash but if they are a major improvment even if its the 225 castings ill have a set this summer.
Old 04-18-2004, 10:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by offaxis
Is that cake walk 500 hp on 346 stock shortblocks ? Ive only seen a few shops do it (LG/Cartek/FMS)

I am waiting for Indendent testing before laying down the cash but if they are a major improvment even if its the 225 castings ill have a set this summer.

No, I meant larger cubes... but we could do it with stock cubes... just would be an expensive cam/valvetrain.

Yeah, just wait to see what happens... If anything they'll help power adder cars hold gaskets

Later
Chuck

Last edited by Chuck@; 04-18-2004 at 10:11 PM.

Quick Reply: AFR 205's "Maiden Voyage"....