Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help setting Wipe and preload.

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 09:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default need help setting Wipe and preload.

Im on the final steps of putting my motor back together, but im confuse on how to set the wipe on the roller rockers and pre-load.. if someone could help me ill really appreciated..im running comp 1500 shaft mounted adj. roller rockers with comp short travel tide bar lifters. thanks in advance for any help.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Not familiar with those particular rockers but can show you what I did with the Yella Terra's. Link

Same principle applies unless your rockers are stud mounted where the pushrod controls the wipe and the preload. Basically you need to raise/lower the mount height until the correct wipe is achieved. With the check springs it is much easier to get full lift and make adjustments. It can be done just as easily with the heads on the car. Since you are operating the rockers by hand simply move the piston down the cylinder to get it out of the way of the valve opening.

If you rotate the motor with hydraulic lifters, the plungers will move providing less total lift and you will get a false reading on the wipe pattern.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vettenuts
Not familiar with those particular rockers but can show you what I did with the Yella Terra's. Link

Same principle applies unless your rockers are stud mounted where the pushrod controls the wipe and the preload. Basically you need to raise/lower the mount height until the correct wipe is achieved. With the check springs it is much easier to get full lift and make adjustments. It can be done just as easily with the heads on the car. Since you are operating the rockers by hand simply move the piston down the cylinder to get it out of the way of the valve opening.

If you rotate the motor with hydraulic lifters, the plungers will move providing less total lift and you will get a false reading on the wipe pattern.
In my case without any shims the roller is towards the exhaust side..do rising the pedestal wont help me there..what else can be done in that case...also my heads are on the car..so i dont really have a way to change the lifters...also the wipe be adjusted with just regular spring while the heads are still in the car?
Old 01-14-2013, 05:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by javier1730
In my case without any shims the roller is towards the exhaust side..do rising the pedestal wont help me there..what else can be done in that case...
In this case you need to lower the rocker stands relative to the valve stem or raise the valve stem relative to the rocker. Depending on what the stands look like this may not be possible but milling the stands may be one answer. Before doing this you would need to be absolutely sure about the final height required.

One other method would be using lash caps on the valve stems to raise the height of the valve stem in relation to the rocker pivot point. I believe AFR makes them for the LS1 valve stems but you need to check with them.

Originally Posted by javier1730
also my heads are on the car..so i dont really have a way to change the lifters...also the wipe be adjusted with just regular spring while the heads are still in the car?
If the lifters are installed, then checking wipe by rotating the motor will result in depressing the lifter plunger resulting in incorrect wipe measurements. Install a set of check springs to check wipe.

Quick Reply: need help setting Wipe and preload.