Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing my 5.3 crankshaft what needs to be done?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 03:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing my 5.3 crankshaft what needs to be done?

Well I believe I have to replace my crank due to damage from too much endplay scoring the bob weights...unfortunitly I bought it this way.

my Question is if I buy another good used crank do I need to have the bottom assembly balanced? Im not sure how the LS's are balanced out at the factory
Old 01-15-2013, 04:05 AM
12 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Depends on what it came out of. If it comes out of a 5.3 and you're re using the rods and pistons...no. If you get one out of a 6.0 or a 5.7 or anything else with a 3.622 stroke, or go to aftermarket or stock over bore pistons, yes you will have to re balance.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:03 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bww3588
Depends on what it came out of. If it comes out of a 5.3 and you're re using the rods and pistons...no. If you get one out of a 6.0 or a 5.7 or anything else with a 3.622 stroke, or go to aftermarket or stock over bore pistons, yes you will have to re balance.
Thanks....thats exactly the info needed...that will help my search in figuring what I will have to spend to get it back together...I almost bought a one out of a 6.0 yesterday so I guess I will wait and see if I can find one from another 5.3 keep my cost down
Old 01-15-2013, 09:39 AM
12 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

In reality, it's not that expensive to have it balanced. It cost me 148 to have mine balanced. Even in a stock engine, it can have benefits. Factory engines are mass balanced. Meaning they all use the same balance for each engine, not each rotating assembly balanced.

I've seen stock engines as much as 40 grams off balance. That's quite a bit. A good balance can make more power, increase bearing life and make idle quality better. It can also make tuning easier if you ever decide to add some pep to it.

Quick Reply: Replacing my 5.3 crankshaft what needs to be done?