Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valve C. gaskets blew out. HELP

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 01:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valve C. gaskets blew out. HELP

Has anyone had their valve cover gaskets shoot out before? i got car running drove it around the block; get back home and see both valve gaskets blown out. what could have caused that? could i have over tightened the bolts? gaskets are just pushed out through the side. valve covers are still mounted.

i swapped from ls1 pcv to ls6 pcv system. but no pcv valve has been installed yet.

799 heads on car with tr trak cam.. would a breather solve this? im lost. never had this happen on a car before; nor have i seen it happen on an ls1.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:32 AM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

if you have any positive pressure in the crankcase, you have potential to push out seals, including the ones on the valve covers which arent supposed to get cranked down very hard

it is also possible that you just tightened them down to far and they pushed out from force.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by soundengineer
if you have any positive pressure in the crankcase, you have potential to push out seals, including the ones on the valve covers which arent supposed to get cranked down very hard

it is also possible that you just tightened them down to far and they pushed out from force.
so i shouldn't be alarmed? i had to go to work, but tomorrow morning i will pull valve covers and try to reuse gasket. if not get new ones and snug the valve covers. hopefully that is what i did. also car is not tuned, and it will run. sometimes harder to start up than others. on the times where its more harder to start up it lets out a puff of white smoke from intake and from inside block it seems. once i get it running again it dosnt do it anymore. car will run really well once i get it to idle. valve train seems quiet, and car has good oil pressure. feels really strong as well. it does not smoke like that every time. it has happened randomly. only when car is fighting to start. sometimes it fires right up. i only got to take it around the block tho till i noticed valve cover gaskets were out.

EDIT

all mods are recent. today i just got new tranny and stall in. along with fresh motor oil.

Last edited by stangkiller2005; 01-18-2013 at 01:50 AM.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

after speaking with a couple tunners; it is suggested that it could be the cam position sensor.. im considering just droping it off at place that im going to get it dyno tuned at, and let them find the culprit. shouldnt be to hard for them. if they plug it in they will be able to tell everything that is going wrong correct? i am confident that it is a bad sensor or connection. has to be. anyone have experience with a bad cam sensor or pig tail??

also what does the map sensor control? the one that goes on back of intake?
Old 04-03-2016, 01:41 PM
Launching!

hey did you ever get this figured out? I have the same problem in my 5.3, engine is carbureted, The only thing I can figure is the oil pan, it was a truck pan so I cut 2 inches from it cause it was way to low on the car, but it only holds 4.24 litters of oil, so I put 5.5 in it, but like is said she blows out the gaskets when I get hard on the throttle, hope to figure something out!! thanks
Old 04-04-2016, 05:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

Sound like the crank case isn't vented properly. Any pics? Did you plug the valve covers?
Old 04-04-2016, 07:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

" swapped from ls1 pcv to ls6 pcv system. but no pcv valve has been installed yet. "

Maybe, complete the system, before driving it??

Quick Reply: Valve C. gaskets blew out. HELP