Random Misfires on Cammed Trans Am

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 09:31 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zrultima
Do you mean TCS instead of ARS??? I was tinking myself i never heard of ARS
Sorry, meant ASR not ARS.
Im guessing its the same thing, the button in my Z says "ASR" (Anti Slip Regulator)
Old 02-13-2013, 10:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

I will definitely start driving with tcs off and see if it works my codes are different tough but hoppefully it will work
Old 02-13-2013, 10:34 AM
Staging Lane

I will definitely start driving with tcs off and see if it works my codes are different tough but hoppefully it will work
Yea, next time you drive it, turn it off and let us know what happens.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:58 PM
Staging Lane

Took mine out again on lunch and while it didnt run perfectly like on the way to work with the TCS off, it still drove much better. (had a few misses here and there) It seemed to get better once it was warm tho.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by echastain88
Took mine out again on lunch and while it didnt run perfectly like on the way to work with the TCS off, it still drove much better. (had a few misses here and there) It seemed to get better once it was warm tho.
If your gets better as the car warms up it would seem you have a mechanical problem mine is intermittent and does not matter if the car warmed up or stone cold
Old 02-14-2013, 08:03 AM
Staging Lane

If your gets better as the car warms up it would seem you have a mechanical problem mine is intermittent and does not matter if the car warmed up or stone cold
Thats what im starting to think now. It was the same case this morning, missing all over the place, then once it was fully warm, it ran so much better. (still had an occasional miss or backfire)
Im going to do a full tune up on her in the next couple of days and see whats going on.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:17 PM
On The Tree

I let my car warm up 3-5 minutes every time before I drive. This is because I have dual valve springs. I have driven the car like once or twice without letting it warm up and it missed all over the place, just like you are mentioning. If you have dual valve springs then you absolutely NEED to let your car warm up. Without doing this, you risk valvetrain failure.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:27 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 98WS6Hville
I let my car warm up 3-5 minutes every time before I drive. This is because I have dual valve springs. I have driven the car like once or twice without letting it warm up and it missed all over the place, just like you are mentioning. If you have dual valve springs then you absolutely NEED to let your car warm up. Without doing this, you risk valvetrain failure.
Im not sure if it has dual or not. I have been letting the car warmup in the mornings, usually at least 5 minutes or so, but the problem doesnt start to go away till its at full operating temp, try to drive before that and it stumbles and misses all over the place.

Only engine mods i know of are HPE S cam and HPE tuned, Kooks long tubes, meziere electric water pump.
Its also not setting off any mis fire codes, but is setting off codes p0134, p1133 and p1153
I suppose i could take the valve covers off this weekend and see whats under there.

In the mean time, ill be starting it up and letting it run till it is at op temp.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:18 PM
Launching!

Any chance you can get a copy of the tune and post it? A buddy with HP Tuners that can scan and give you the file?
Old 02-14-2013, 03:33 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by MMWS6
Any chance you can get a copy of the tune and post it? A buddy with HP Tuners that can scan and give you the file?
I dont know of anyone around me with HP Tuners.
Ill post in the regional section and see if there is anyone in OK who could help out.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well guys drive the car with tcs off not really much of an improvemebt i really dobt think tcs has anything to do on how the engine running. So no luck here it does run like a raped ape when going wot
Old 02-21-2013, 10:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Any luck guys??? I will be taking the car to pcm for less next month for another tune
Old 02-24-2013, 06:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Guys i got a new code p0122 and now there was a code which i dont have the number for that says bank 2 too lean thats it any ideas
Old 02-24-2013, 07:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Vacuum leak or exhaust leak in front of the 02 sensor on that side.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

i will take a look at it tommorow thank you.the p0122 code any thoughts would it have to do anything with the wiring since most of codes seem to be electronic related
Old 03-16-2013, 08:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well guys ive taken the vehicle to two mechanics no one could tell me anything for sure well i drove the car to miami from nc and well when i got there my low oil came on. I decided to do an oil change. The ses light flashed from time to time but there was no random missfire code that came up when i got to florida. I drove the vehicle all the way home to nc and the low oil light came on again. I noticed a leak on the driver side under carriage but couldnt pinpoint it.

Now i did record a video since a mechanic told me it could be valve seal causing the missfire but there is no smoke on a cold start at all. Car runs fine for a while but when warm.starts to missfire i got the flashing ses light a few times on my 1000 mile drive but then it jist fix itself.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

A buddy at work advised it could be a faulty coil pack and as for the oil leak he said it could be the oil pressure switch i can deal with the oil leak and fix that later but as far as the coil pack is there any easy way to check like disconnecting them while its running?? This is the closest ive gotten to an answer when i pull the codes up in nc i got a bank 2 system too lean and of course insufficient switching bank 2 any more idea guys. I have no ne around here that has a clue but im trying my best to diagnose
Old 03-16-2013, 09:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Heres a video check near the end

Old 03-17-2013, 08:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Come on guys now i have a video i hear a small missfire there just cant be pinpointed
Old 03-17-2013, 10:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sounds like you have some valve train issues

Quick Reply: Random Misfires on Cammed Trans Am