Sponsored by:

BTR - Brian Tooley Racing Spring Kits: .660 Platinum or Extreme

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 10:17 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default BTR - Brian Tooley Racing Spring Kits: .660 Platinum or Extreme

Hey Brian (or anyone who knows):

What's the difference (besides $10) between your two kits: SK001 and SK003?

.660" Lift Platinum Spring Kit with Titanium Retainers

.660" Lift Dual Spring Kit for LS engines using stock rocker arms. Includes dual polished springs, matching titanium retainers, your choice of locators for stock or bronze guides, locks and seals. Spring specs are 155 lbs @ 1.780", 380 lbs @ 1.180", 400 lbs @ 1.130, coild bind @ 1.070" This is a drop in spring kit for the following engines: LS1 LS2 LS3 LS4 LS6 L76 L92 L99 LQ4 LQ9 L33 LSA. This kit will not fit LS9 engines.
.660" Lift Extreme Spring Kit with Titanium Retainers

.660" Lift Dual Spring Kit for LS engines using stock rocker arms. Includes dual polished springs with the outer spring coated gold, matching titanium retainers, your choice of locators for stock or bronze guides, locks and seals. Spring specs are 155 lbs @ 1.780", 380 lbs @ 1.180", 400 lbs @ 1.130, coild bind @ 1.070" This is a drop in spring kit for the following engines: LS1 LS2 LS3 LS4 LS6 L76 L92 L99 LQ4 LQ9 L33 LSA. This kit will not fit LS9 engines.
I know the Max Lift setup is generally for roller rockers, but aside from some gold coating, is there any other difference in the Platinum and Extreme? I'm curious and thought others might be as well.

Also, what's your take on the longevity of the titanium retainers in a street use application? And what is the weight savings between your lightweight Tool steel retainers and your titaniums? I saw a post where your steel were within .5g of the competition's titanium, but I haven't seen anything on the weight of your titanium.

Thanks!
Old 01-23-2013, 08:38 AM
Grr
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not really any difference, the golds are being phased out.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:44 AM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

There is really nothing different, just the coating. He is selling the Extreme springs cheaper as he is no longer using them anymore after these sell. Just the Max Pressure and Platinum springs will be offered.

We use the Ti retainers on almost everything we do in house, but I sell a boat load of TS retainers with our cam kits.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:21 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Just for reassurance, I'm running the Platinums myself. They are an awesome set of springs, and Brian's customer service can't be beat.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:21 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
Just for reassurance, I'm running the Platinums myself. They are an awesome set of springs, and Brian's customer service can't be beat.
x2!!!
Old 01-25-2013, 08:16 PM
FormerVendor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by C5RUZR
Hey Brian (or anyone who knows):

What's the difference (besides $10) between your two kits: SK001 and SK003?

I know the Max Lift setup is generally for roller rockers, but aside from some gold coating, is there any other difference in the Platinum and Extreme? I'm curious and thought others might be as well.

Also, what's your take on the longevity of the titanium retainers in a street use application? And what is the weight savings between your lightweight Tool steel retainers and your titaniums? I saw a post where your steel were within .5g of the competition's titanium, but I haven't seen anything on the weight of your titanium.
The Extreme springs and Platinum springs are very similar, but the Platinum springs hold their load better than the Extreme springs do. Once the inventory of Extreme springs are exhausted they will be dropped from my lineup. Although there are lots of people and shops who used the Extreme springs in the past and were happy with their performance and still buy them.

The titanium retainers for the Platinum and Extreme springs p/n SR001 weigh 8.5 grams or 11 grams with locks, so they're about 5 grams lighter than the steel retainers. They're several grams lighter than most aftermarket titanium retainers.

I haven't seen any issues with titanium retainer durability in LS applications. I've seen the end of a flat wound spring damper cut into titanium retainers, but LS springs don't have a flat wound damper.

I assumed the steel retainers would be a lot stronger than the titanium retainers, but in the stress testing I had performed there really wasn't that much difference between them. The steel performed slightly better, but not a lot. I would also assume the steel retainers would last longer on the street, but having never seen a titanium retainer fail on a LS street car, means the steel retainer would last slightly longer than never a failure?

I hope this helps!
Old 01-25-2013, 10:18 PM
12 Second Club

Brain made my decision easy, Ill be ordering BTR springs for my cam swap.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian Tooley
The Extreme springs and Platinum springs are very similar, but the Platinum springs hold their load better than the Extreme springs do. Once the inventory of Extreme springs are exhausted they will be dropped from my lineup. Although there are lots of people and shops who used the Extreme springs in the past and were happy with their performance and still buy them.

The titanium retainers for the Platinum and Extreme springs p/n SR001 weigh 8.5 grams or 11 grams with locks, so they're about 5 grams lighter than the steel retainers. They're several grams lighter than most aftermarket titanium retainers.

I haven't seen any issues with titanium retainer durability in LS applications. I've seen the end of a flat wound spring damper cut into titanium retainers, but LS springs don't have a flat wound damper.

I assumed the steel retainers would be a lot stronger than the titanium retainers, but in the stress testing I had performed there really wasn't that much difference between them. The steel performed slightly better, but not a lot. I would also assume the steel retainers would last longer on the street, but having never seen a titanium retainer fail on a LS street car, means the steel retainer would last slightly longer than never a failure?

I hope this helps!
So will the extra weight of the steel retainers effect rpm's as compared to the Ti retainers..

I'm assuming the lighter the valvetrain the quicker rpm pick up, or will it be neglible and unoticable?
Old 01-26-2013, 11:36 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Burken01
So will the extra weight of the steel retainers effect rpm's as compared to the Ti retainers..

I'm assuming the lighter the valvetrain the quicker rpm pick up, or will it be neglible and unoticable?
Probably not, but the Ti will work better with more aggressive cam lobes and heavier valves.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:12 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
Probably not, but the Ti will work better with more aggressive cam lobes and heavier valves.
What about the lobes on a TU1 cam? I just orderd one and just realized they don't list what lobes they use.. And the search button comes up with nada..

Guess they don't want there secret out!
Old 01-27-2013, 07:38 AM
FormerVendor

What about the lobes on a TU1 cam? I just orderd one and just realized they don't list what lobes they use.. And the search button comes up with nada..

Guess they don't want there secret out!
Extreme RPM High Lift lobes on intake and exhaust. Very stable lobe, I use it a lot in blower stuff and N/A stuff on the exhaust side as I prefer more lift on the intake lobe.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:22 AM
FormerVendor

Lighter cranks, rods, flywheels, etc can affect how quickly a engine revs and when those components are lighter more power can be measured at the crank.

The difference in retainer weight will not be seen in how quickly a engine revs. It will dictate the RPM at which the valve train stays stable to.

The lift looks like the Comp XE-R lobes, but the duration should be 224, so it’s hard to say. The Extreme RPM for LS1 lobes in the 225 duration range are in the .568”-.570” lift range.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The Extreme springs and Platinum springs are very similar, ...................

I hope this helps!

great post brian! real data numbers, then real world 1st hand experiences. very refreshing. No marketing, "should" "better" "more average", in testing someone never did selling.

Your springs still going good on my heads, I'm hoping to check them before spring to compare to my notes of them new. I checked 2 sets of retainers on the same valve and hardware, and they all installed right at the same. went back over everything thinking I something was setup wrong. haha. The other budget stuff I would find a few to mark, that were on the hi and low side. And place them were I wanted, same for springs. that isn't the case
Old 01-27-2013, 09:15 AM
FormerVendor

BTW we don't use ANY other springs in our cam kits@Tick than Brian's springs. We've found the same things Studderin' has with the non existent variance in retainer installed height with Brian's retainers.

Every in-house install we do has his springs and every cam kit I sell includes his springs. That said, I still do a lot of cams for guys that run other companies springs as there are still others that have nice stuff for the LS.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:41 PM
TECH Addict

Lighter cranks, rods, flywheels, etc can affect how quickly a engine revs and when those components are lighter more power can be measured at the crank.

The difference in retainer weight will not be seen in how quickly a engine revs. It will dictate the RPM at which the valve train stays stable to.

The lift looks like the Comp XE-R lobes, but the duration should be 224, so it’s hard to say. The Extreme RPM for LS1 lobes in the 225 duration range are in the .568”-.570” lift range.
Thanks, just purchased the titanium kit... Thanks to you and martin@tick for helping out...
Old 01-28-2013, 07:03 AM
FormerVendor

Thanks, just purchased the titanium kit... Thanks to you and martin@tick for helping out...
Thanks for the business!!!
Old 03-05-2013, 06:43 PM
TECH Regular

great product! fast shipping
Old 04-07-2013, 10:14 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by studderin
Your springs still going good on my heads, I'm hoping to check them before spring to compare to my notes of them new. I checked 2 sets of retainers on the same valve and hardware, and they all installed right at the same. went back over everything thinking I something was setup wrong. haha. The other budget stuff I would find a few to mark, that were on the hi and low side. And place them were I wanted, same for springs. that isn't the case
Thanks for the business John! Let me know if you need anything else!
Old 05-19-2013, 05:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cincy Speed is putting a set of these on our girl now. I'm not sure which ones though. After doing a little reading here, I don't care which! Thanks for the great product Brian!
Attached Thumbnails BTR - Brian Tooley Racing Spring Kits: .660 Platinum or Extreme-2013-05-199512.41.51.jpg  
Old 05-20-2013, 09:00 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by prokilllsx
Cincy Speed is putting a set of these on our girl now. I'm not sure which ones though. After doing a little reading here, I don't care which! Thanks for the great product Brian!
Cincy Speed buys the Platinum spring kits. Thanks to you and to Cincy Speed for the business!

Quick Reply: BTR - Brian Tooley Racing Spring Kits: .660 Platinum or Extreme