Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Light wear on cam? with PICS!!! come inside...

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 03:35 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That looks alot more like shipping damage or someone dropped in out on the driveway more than it does pitting. However regardless of how the imperfections got there that cam is for the scrap barrel. And also its not like its even some kickass custom grind or nice shelf cam its an ls6 cam which r a dime a dozen. I say give the dude a refund minus the 1.25 for the scrap weight. Also to the buyer buy something better than a used ls6 cam at least buy a used mild cam ... putting in an ls6 or stock wouldnt even be worth the lock tight used to put in the cam bolts.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Burken01
So I recently sold a Ls6 cam because I decided to go with a diffrent cam for my turbo build..

Well I get an email and he says that theres some light pitting on a couple of the base lobes.. I had never really checked the cam out as I was still in the middle of collecting parts for my build, anyway I asked him to email me pics of it. he did..

What are your guys thought on running this?

I wanna make this right with the buyer, if it will work perfectly then ok.. If not then Ill give him a refund..

thanks everyone.
That cam came out of motor that had a catastrophic failure. There must have been fine metal particles circulating throughout the motor. Get your money back if you can.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:48 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Perfect candidate for the trash receptacle.. A few hundred bux saved now, easily can cost you a few thousand later.. Kudos for doin the right thing..
Old 01-31-2013, 07:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Also to the buyer buy something better than a used ls6 cam at least buy a used mild cam ... putting in an ls6 or stock wouldnt even be worth the lock tight used to put in the cam bolts
I was deliberately trying to keep power down; D1SC + Heads on stock short block. I think I'm going to get a LS9 once the seller refunds, no more used cams for me.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:28 AM
11 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Make it into a lamp.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:35 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
Make it into a lamp.
Great idea!
Old 01-31-2013, 01:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I would do the lamp, but my wife would never let that happen. She already shot my ls1 coffee table idea down..

Well I have insurance on that cam so I'm gonna pursue that it was dropped because I don't remember seeing that damage..
Old 01-31-2013, 01:28 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Burken01
I would do the lamp, but my wife would never let that happen. She already shot my ls1 coffee table idea down..

Well I have insurance on that cam so I'm gonna pursue that it was dropped because I don't remember seeing that damage..
Mine did too, I do have my car amongst our kids pix on the wall though.. Win some u lose some..
Old 01-31-2013, 01:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

That looks alot more like shipping damage or someone dropped in out on the driveway more than it does pitting.
Definitely not dropped, there is corrosion in those areas.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,261 Likes on 807 Posts

Originally Posted by O2Form
Yer right...you're no expert. Everything rides on a oil film.............so no surfaces need to be machined smooth in your world. Seriously are you kidding? Do you see the wear marks in the pictures? If the journals ride on a oil film how could they possibly get there? DID Santy Claus put them there? Maybe they magicly appeared? Because everything rides on a oil flim in a engine....how could anything wear? Dam I want U to buld my next car engine!

Think for just a min, how much pressure do you think 16 valve springs put on a camshaft at rest? How long will it take for oil from the oil pump take to pressurize the oil gallery and start floating the bearing journals? Better not take long in your world.
A little extreme on the sarcasm but i was thinking every point you made immidiately when i read the previous post...+1 brother
Old 01-31-2013, 04:46 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looks like the cam sat on a shelf and moisture got to her, then someone to scotch brite or some emery cloth to the surface to get some rust off her, i say make a lamp outta it also, aint worth to put a slightly damaged bump stick in the engine and have cam bearings and main/ rod bearings fail down the road, IMO
Old 01-31-2013, 05:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vettenuts
I find it odd that the journals are damaged on one side and the damage doesn't appear to have any circularity. Also, the first photo shows marks on the cam lobe in line with the journal. If I had to guess, I think the cam was dropped on a rough surface.

I still wouldn't run it in my car, especially since LS6 cams used are easy to find and new aren't that expensive.
This is exactly what I thought when I seen it. Looks like it was dropped on concrete

Either that or corrosion that has been cleaned up

Quick Reply: Light wear on cam? with PICS!!! come inside...