Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low oil pressure after clutch install???

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 07:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Zlow28
So now my question is what would cause low oil pressure when warm?

I almost forgot to add, that he thinks the problem is with something that goes attached to the cam. He told me the name of the piece but in spanish and i dont know spanish parts very well. Any ideas?
Oil pressure dropping when hot would indicate something expanding and allowing clearances to increase, thereby letting too much oil through.

There isn't anything attached to the camshaft (other than the cam sprocket). Lifters could cause low oil pressure (and would tick).
Old 02-08-2013, 07:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only reason im not sure its the lifter, is because he said it seemed to work fine in a cold start. No noise, leaks, or bad oil pressure. Only when its warm does this happen. Wouldnt a bad lifter cause be constant wether cold or warm?

Hes gonna check into it again and hopefully we get some good news this weekend.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Zlow28
The only reason im not sure its the lifter, is because he said it seemed to work fine in a cold start. No noise, leaks, or bad oil pressure. Only when its warm does this happen. Wouldnt a bad lifter cause be constant wether cold or warm?

Hes gonna check into it again and hopefully we get some good news this weekend.
Lifters in these engines are known for getting noisy after warming up. Everything gets hot, grows, clearances increase, and things start to slap around and rattle.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:04 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 2001CamaroGuy
Lifters in these engines are known for getting noisy after warming up. Everything gets hot, grows, clearances increase, and things start to slap around and rattle.
Thanks for your input, hopefully its not any internal stuff though. Im gonna talk to him again tomorrow, ill ask him to check it with a mechanical gauge. Ive heard some oil pressure sensors go bad after getting old.
Im still hoping its something small.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:16 PM
TECH Addict

Sorry I couldn't update this any sooner. I just went to the mechanic and he told me the car was working fine now. He had replaced the oil pump again since apparently the first one he bought was defective. I have no idea how he decided the pump was defective but imma test drive the car tomorrow and keep a close Eye on the oil pressure and check for leaks and any valvetrain noises.

Thanks for the help
Old 02-13-2013, 03:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Cross you fingers and hope for the best....

Quick Reply: Low oil pressure after clutch install???