Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

should i turbo this motor?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 10:35 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default should i turbo this motor?

i have a bolt on ls1 in a 99 trans am ls1 stock heads nd cam... 128,000 miles.... i can get a complete tt kit for a pretty good price but am weary about turboing this motor with that many miles... engine was well taken care of its whole life... if i did i would buy a pair of 317 heads and keep the stock cam and slap the turbo kit on....

the other couple options were buying an aftermarket heads and cam and keeping it na

or buying a stock lq4/lq9 and putting all my accessories and turbo it in the future
Old 02-17-2013, 11:42 AM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

The last two stock engines I put power adders on were both at or over 90-100k miles.

The added miles IMO actually would help with added cylinder pressure as the ring gap and other clearances will be looser than they were at a lower mileage. A tight ring gap with cylinder pressures seen with boost and/or N2O normally spells disaster for an engine with a bad tune-up.

Keeping the tune somewhat conservative and running the highest octane fuel you can run along with a lot of methanol being secondarily injected via a methanol injection kit will be your keys to success.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:44 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a meth kit is an absolute must? i know nothing about it
Old 02-18-2013, 08:00 AM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

IMO it is a must on a stock bottom end. It raises octane pretty substantially when it's being used in boost and it lowers inlet air temps quite substantially also.

Quick Reply: should i turbo this motor?