Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 Ls1 Camaro Build + Tune Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 07:20 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Ls1 Camaro Build + Tune Question

I usually don't post on here because i always tend to find the answer to my questions through searching. But due to my very low budget, I can't really afford to make any mistakes..

Bone stock 99 camaro ls1, Here's the build plan and the reasons why I specifically chose them..

-BBK Offroad Ceramic Headers w/y pipe from ws6store.
The reason i chose these over the kooks was obviously b/c of pricing, but also because i realized, through much reading, 1 7/8 primaries would be overkill for a mild cam (future plan) and a 243 head swap. So the 1 3/4 will do until I get tired of it.

*Am I right? I've read peak hp increases with 1 7/8 and bigger primaries would leave power low under the curve..

-243 heads from my buddy's GTO.
Reason I chose to go with these heads wad b/c my buddy's upgrading to an Ls3. He plans on selling me the whole top end for cheap but I chose to just take his heads b/c Ive read that Ls2 intake manifolds were flawed. But I might end up buying it since it comes with the rails, injectors and such..

*My question as far as the heads/ls2 goes, even though its a high mileage ls2 ~160,000, should I buy his cam, oil pump and timing chain to go with it? I figured since I'm getting ls2 parts for cheaper, I'd go ahead and upgrade. From my understanding, his heads make a ticking noise, and I don't think ill be able to afford to redo the whole valve train.. Would it be a good idea to swap my 803 heads valve train if his valve train is screwed

*Also, will I need an Ls1 head gasket or an Ls2 for this swap?

-A tune
If I'm getting the cam, then I may tune for power, but if I don't get his cam, ill end up just tuning for the egr and o2 sensor delete.

*Question is, if I delete my egr and get the code tuned out, what are the chances that my engine would detonate?? Ive read it was b/c of the less aggressive cam that they had egr systems on 98-'00 ls1s..

Last edited by XDeath; 02-21-2013 at 07:26 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get an ls6 manifold, its marginally better, but not much.

Do not buy an oil pump and chain with 160,000 miles, thats just dumb. An ls2 chain is 40 bucks, and an oil pump is about 140

You will use ls1 gaskets

As long as your car is tuned properly removing the emissions **** isnt going to do any damage. Hell you can remove it and not even tune it out and the worst thats gonna happen is the ses light.

And ypu can get a way better cam than an ls2, or at least one with less wear
Old 02-21-2013, 08:01 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Tainted
Get an ls6 manifold, its marginally better, but not much.

Do not buy an oil pump and chain with 160,000 miles, thats just dumb. An ls2 chain is 40 bucks, and an oil pump is about 140

You will use ls1 gaskets

As long as your car is tuned properly removing the emissions **** isnt going to do any damage. Hell you can remove it and not even tune it out and the worst thats gonna happen is the ses light.

And ypu can get a way better cam than an ls2, or at least one with less wear
Have any clue to how many MPG's I'd be losing on the head swap?
Old 02-21-2013, 08:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Possibly 0-1, it all mostly depends on your driving.

When I had my trans am, I got 27mpg, through the mountains for 750 miles when I brought it from nc to IN.
I had a ls1, lingenfelter heads, 228r cam, every possible bolt on, full suspension, 3000 stall converter, 3.23 gears and on a mail order tune to top it off.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:17 PM
Staging Lane

Possibly 0-1, it all mostly depends on your driving.

When I had my trans am, I got 27mpg, through the mountains for 750 miles when I brought it from nc to IN.
I had a ls1, lingenfelter heads, 228r cam, every possible bolt on, full suspension, 3000 stall converter, 3.23 gears and on a mail order tune to top it off.
228r? I'm guessing thats a mild? And how many rwhp were u pushing?
Old 02-21-2013, 08:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

228/228 .588/.588 112lsa

Sold it before I ever had a chance to dyno tune it. But given all the mods I had and comparing similar builds id guess 400-420rwhp
Old 02-21-2013, 08:25 PM
Staging Lane

228/228 .588/.588 112lsa

Sold it before I ever had a chance to dyno tune it. But given all the mods I had and comparing similar builds id guess 400-420rwhp
I see.. I appreciate the info.. Any clue to my question about the ticking on the ls2 heads tho?
Old 02-21-2013, 08:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Its hard to say. Are you both sure its in the heads and not a lifter ticking? With that many miles id have the heads freshened up, new seals, some springs. The valves should be fine though unless theres something wrong and thats the tick
Old 02-21-2013, 08:30 PM
Staging Lane

Its hard to say. Are you both sure its in the heads and not a lifter ticking? With that many miles id have the heads freshened up, new seals, some springs. The valves should be fine though unless theres something wrong and thats the tick
I'm not sure.. How would check to see if it was the lifters? And if they are the culprit then isn't it normal for lifters to tick on our cars?
Old 02-21-2013, 08:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Honestly I dont know the best way to narrow that down, im sure someone will chime in with an easy way for you to check. The lifter tick is somewhat common, as is the piston slap. Also woth the lifters, if you are changing heads and all, id suggest getting a set of new lifters, or brian tooley has these new SLR lifters that look nice, especially for $200, Im going to be using them in my build.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:47 PM
Staging Lane

Honestly I dont know the best way to narrow that down, im sure someone will chime in with an easy way for you to check. The lifter tick is somewhat common, as is the piston slap. Also woth the lifters, if you are changing heads and all, id suggest getting a set of new lifters, or brian tooley has these new SLR lifters that look nice, especially for $200, Im going to be using them in my build.
I see.. Is there anything else I should change on the heads besides the lifters??

Quick Reply: 99 Ls1 Camaro Build + Tune Question