Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3.905 cylinder, might need a hone job...

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 05:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by gMAG
While the engine was still on the stand, I hooked up the starter and oil pressure gauge. One at a time, I checked compression. Afterward, oil pressure was verified.
This is an easy way to save steps, should oil pressure not be evident/adequate, or compression out of bounds.
by the way thanks for all of your help I appreciate it...

I've decided to just have a shop do it, 2 weeks pay of mine but atleast Ill know its done right..
Old 02-25-2013, 08:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sure, I'm happy to help.
Best of luck with your project. I'm sure all will be well.

Glenn
Old 02-25-2013, 08:50 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah all will be well after $1000 bucks

Its my fault, I bought the engine online from here and it was outta state so I never got to inspect it...
Old 02-26-2013, 07:04 AM
TECH Resident

Went through the same thing with my engine. I paid extra for one from a reputable salvage yard that had low mileage on it in good faith that it'd be in good shape. Nope. Went to inspecting everything and all the bearings were shot, piston to wall clearances were excessive, taper was out, there was a casting defect on a main journal of the crank. Goes to show you how important maintenance is. If I didn't care to have the experience of building a motor myself and knowing for sure that I'd have reliable power I would have sold the thing and bought a crate motor and had been done with it. I'll probably save myself the hassle and do that next time but building motors is fun -- unfortunately like most anything else nowadays though you gotta pay to play. Good luck to you.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ckpitt55
If I didn't care to have the experience of building a motor myself and knowing for sure that I'd have reliable power I would have sold the thing and bought a crate motor and had been done with it. I'll probably save myself the hassle and do that next time but building motors is fun -- unfortunately like most anything else nowadays though you gotta pay to play. Good luck to you.
I agree with the crate motor idea....could've spent 2/3 as much, and had a brand new crate motor with the best heads, ready to go.
In the middle of all of my wrenching, my older, gearhead brother, would smile at me, then mimmick those commercials on Horsepower TV...(guy with the deep, gravelly voice)...MORE HORSEPOWER...FASTER ETs!!!!!!
From his wealth of experience, I think he was making fun of me.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:54 PM
TECH Addict

Its good to know there is other people on here going broke because of their cars!! Now I dont feel so bad lol
Old 02-28-2013, 01:55 AM
TECH Addict

IRON BLOCK FTMFW

My aluminum block ended up having more problems!

Quick Reply: 3.905 cylinder, might need a hone job...