Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mobil 1...ok or not?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2004, 09:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Patman is right. Oil analysis is a good way ot know if you are running the right oil! But if the engine is not built with proper prep and clearences, it is going to use oil. I am an ASE Cerified Master Engine machinist and I know if you dont prep your cylinder walls properly, or if your valve guides and seals are not up to the task, you are going to have problems.
Old 04-23-2004, 09:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Deeavi
I don't know about Patman, but I would say you have a problem! I have built a good many performance engines, from 302ci to 504ci and none have used oil like yours. I would think you have cylinder sealing problem, a valve guide problem, or a pcv problem. The last engine I built was a 400ci Dart Block with a scat 3.75 stroke crank, Scat 6" rods, special KB stoker pistons, Dart Pro 1 heads and 10.5 to one compression It didn't use a drop of oil. Of course I never raced it, but I did stretch it out often! I used 15W-50 Mobil 1
I'm going with a different oil weight to see if that helps. MTI just told me these engines use oil. What's interesting is that the car does not smoke at start-up. In fact I've done WOT in front of people to see if they notice smoke and they all said no.

I have AMW's catch can so I'm sure it's not PVC related...how can it determine what the problem is...complete engine tear down???

Ron
Old 04-23-2004, 09:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hugger427
I'm going with a different oil weight to see if that helps. MTI just told me these engines use oil. What's interesting is that the car does not smoke at start-up. In fact I've done WOT in front of people to see if they notice smoke and they all said no.

I have AMW's catch can so I'm sure it's not PVC related...how can it determine what the problem is...complete engine tear down???

Ron
You should ask MTI why they say that the engine uses oil. Get them to give you a definite answer! Did they build it/install it?
Old 04-23-2004, 09:28 AM
TECH Veteran

For some unknown reason, synthetics turn black much faster than non-synthetics. I have always been somewhat alarmed by this - to me, it is sort of scary.

Chances are, if you have a sticker on the car it was last changed at Jiffy Lube or a competitor and propbably is not synthetic. Since they usually indiate the miles at the date of change you can try to guage it by how black the oil is.

I would not loose sleep over it, however. With GM cars, your rear view mirror will probably fall off in your hands, your seats will tear and your AC will blow hot before your engine needs new bearings as a result of using non-synthetic engine oils.

Now piston slap is another story!!!
Old 04-23-2004, 09:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

You should ask MTI why they say that the engine uses oil. Get them to give you a definite answer! Did they build it/install it?
they built it but did not install...i'll call them them now. BTW, just went out and looked at my notes on the garage wall. Turns out it's used 1.5 qts in 600 miles
Old 04-23-2004, 09:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hugger427
they built it but did not install...i'll call them them now. BTW, just went out and looked at my notes on the garage wall. Turns out it's used 1.5 qts in 600 miles
I don't care what they say, somthing is not right! I know it is frustrating to have to take it in and get it checked, but I think they need to run a compression check, then pull the heads, check the valve guides and seals. Also check the pistons for side play. They may have to pull it down and check cylinder wall clearance and rings. Ther is definitely a problem somewhere!
Let me know how it goes!

I am going to build one of those engines in the near future, but I believe I will get my block from LS1 Speed. I know Tom and he is a good guy and they stand behind their stuff!
Old 04-23-2004, 10:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

I don't care what they say, somthing is not right! I know it is frustrating to have to take it in and get it checked, but I think they need to run a compression check, then pull the heads, check the valve guides and seals. Also check the pistons for side play. They may have to pull it down and check cylinder wall clearance and rings. Ther is definitely a problem somewhere!
Let me know how it goes!

I am going to build one of those engines in the near future, but I believe I will get my block from LS1 Speed. I know Tom and he is a good guy and they stand behind their stuff!

Just got off the phone with MTI...told them my car was using approximatly 3 qts of oil every 1000 miles. Wayne is going to talk to Jason and get back with me. I'll keep you posted.
Old 04-23-2004, 04:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ive seen a lot of people with stock LS1s(bolt ons only) Burn a quart every 500 miles if they spin it up and race it a lot. I mean a lot of guys! Mine burns no more since my H/C install than it did before. Ive also had piston slap at start-up for probably 1 1/2 years and hundreds of passes. Its LS1s. I live with it, my car runs flawlessly, and it hauls ***!!
Old 04-23-2004, 09:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 94 Likes on 74 Posts

I too run the 5W30 ( Mobil 1 ) w/ Mobil 1 oil filter.
Have ever since the car was new. After many mod's ( bolt on's ) & 140K my car still run's very strong & burns maybe 1 quart Q 6K.
These LS1's are great engines..
Old 04-23-2004, 10:34 PM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

I use Mobil 1 10W-30 year round (NJ) in my 'very limited use' LS1, I would consider the 0W-40 though.
Old 04-24-2004, 02:17 AM
TECH Addict

I use Redline 10w30 or 10w40 in all of my vehicles

From what I can tell my T/A uses no oil.Absolutely no problem with my GTP or Honda motorcycle either.

I even use Redline in my snowblower,lawnmower,and compressor
Old 04-24-2004, 12:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

my womans T/A burns 3+ quarts every 3,000 miles, every time its time for her to change it she tells me that the oil light is on. Its three quarts low. Should i call the dealer or will they just blow smoke up my ***?
Old 04-24-2004, 08:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Air21
my womans T/A burns 3+ quarts every 3,000 miles, every time its time for her to change it she tells me that the oil light is on. Its three quarts low. Should i call the dealer or will they just blow smoke up my ***?
I'd keep a closer eye on that thing, and not let it get 3 quarts low. Running 3 quarts low isn't going to help your oil consumption problem get any better.
Old 04-24-2004, 10:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SnakeKiller
I'd keep a closer eye on that thing, and not let it get 3 quarts low. Running 3 quarts low isn't going to help your oil consumption problem get any better.

good advice
Old 04-25-2004, 10:03 AM
11 Second Club

For the guy who was talking about the road racing cars spinning bearings:

I think this is how the story went.

There was something out a few years ago about LS1's at Bragg Smith(?) that were dying. The GM engineers found that during hard right turns, the oil was sloshing around and the oil pump went dry. The fix was to always put at least 6 quarts into the engine. I hope this helps.
Old 04-25-2004, 06:32 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by robertbartsch
For some unknown reason, synthetics turn black much faster than non-synthetics. I have always been somewhat alarmed by this - to me, it is sort of scary.

He He Scary? It means that the oil working..
Old 04-25-2004, 07:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ZoDDy
He He Scary? It means that the oil working..
Exactly! And anyone who is familiar with diesels also knows that they turn their oil black almost instantly, but yet the oil is still good obviously. (what would you do if you owned a diesel Robert Bartsh, change it every morning?)
Old 04-29-2004, 01:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Since guys are still asking about oil...ttt

What about making a sticky post for oil?
Old 04-29-2004, 04:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Castrol Syntec IS a blend, Mobil 1 is the only pure synthetic I'm sure about
Old 04-29-2004, 04:24 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by APeteSS
Castrol Syntec IS a blend, Mobil 1 is the only pure synthetic I'm sure about

Redline is a synthetic. Certain types of castrol are synthetic. Amsoil to the best of my knowledge is synthetic. Motul,Maxima and quite a few others as well.

Quick Reply: Mobil 1...ok or not?