Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

c5Z06 road racing cam

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 09:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default c5Z06 road racing cam

New one here, I've posted a similar question on the corvette forum but I want to here what you guys have to say considering this seems to be a more mechanical type forum.

I road-race my car, but nothing too competitive (no restrictions or anything). I do stay mid-high up in the RPM range for extended periods of time, so I need a cam that is valve spring friendly. This means I have to cut back on intake/exhaust lift a bit (.5XX/.5XX). It also needs to make some power up there where I need it.

I also want something that requires NO fly cuts. I don't think I will do head work in the near future. One day maybe...

I also like a nasty horrible idle of doom. Street drivability is a concern, but not a restriction.

Current mods are: Blackwing intake, LT headers, exhaust, tune.

So far, I've found a LOT of different cams for different purposes. My research has led me to believe that a GM ASA cam (226/236 .525/.525 110LSA) would be what I am looking for I guess.

Another would be the GM World Challenge cam (239/251 .570/.570 106LSA).

Do either of these cams require fly cuts with what I have (2003 LS6 is stock except for what is posted)?

What would be my best alternatives?
Old 02-27-2013, 10:05 PM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

The asa cam is very hard on springs, the lobes are no joke, it was a max effort cam designed to fit into the .525 lift regulation of the race series.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Might want to look at a reverse split cam. This would give you great mid range torque, which would be perfect for getting off corners. See the attached thread out of the sticky section of the Gen III Internal section. Great read. With the lifts you desire, this could work great for you.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...side-coin.html
Old 02-28-2013, 12:15 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DietCoke
The asa cam is very hard on springs, the lobes are no joke, it was a max effort cam designed to fit into the .525 lift regulation of the race series.
I've read that a few times now. Would it be worth while to upgrade to better springs then? Assuming I do go ASA.

While durability is also an issue... It's racing. Stuff is going to break. I just dont want to be changing springs every 10,000miles or something like that.

Originally Posted by 427zm
Might want to look at a reverse split cam. This would give you great mid range torque, which would be perfect for getting off corners. See the attached thread out of the sticky section of the Gen III Internal section. Great read. With the lifts you desire, this could work great for you.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...side-coin.html
Will give that a look too. Was trying to stay away from doing anything too custom. Off the shelf, throw it in and tune it. Not looking to pick up a whole lot of power. Currently I'm making about 380rwhp. If I can get to the 400's I would be happy.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:09 AM
Teching In

Here, a lot of good info
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...ad-racing.html
Old 03-01-2013, 12:10 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by E_C5
Thanks. I was actually just reading that... someone posted a link to it on another forum.

Does anyone on here happen to have any dyno numbers for the TSP 228R (114LSA I think) and the ASA?

I think I've narrowed it down to those two. TSP cam (Just cam or kit) would be slightly more expensive than the ASA (cam or kit/buying some extra stuff) just from duties. I can probably get the ASA through a dealer here and avoid the duties... most of the time.

Quick Reply: c5Z06 road racing cam