Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone running Brian Tooley SLR lifters?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 05:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
I've also got a set of his SLR lifters that I need to install, and I still need to find out the recommended lifter pre-load range.
So hows the look and feel of them compared to an ls7?
Old 03-11-2013, 07:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tainted
I know Brian is very busy so he may or may not chime in. But, I have been in his shop and seen his lifters they look to be a very nice piece. I already have a new set of LS7's or I would be using them in my 402. I know his valve springs are works of art.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:10 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 96lt4c4
I know Brian is very busy so he may or may not chime in. But, I have been in his shop and seen his lifters they look to be a very nice piece. I already have a new set of LS7's or I would be using them in my 402. I know his valve springs are works of art.
That they are. I'm running the Platinums and couldn't be happier.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:08 PM
TECH Resident

Just searching the LS7 failures, maybe I will go with his lifters too over the LS7's I have. Just too many threads about failures. I may even do link bars.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Tainted
I couldn't give you a comparison because it's been several yrs since I installed my LS7 lifters, and my engine isn't currently apart.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll be holding out for Brian's comments -better part of two pages of guys and over 500 views so far on a relatively new product...there's some questions that need answered (this isn't a knock on him, I know he's busy - as is everyone else this time of year with the season fast approaching). Vague, subjective characteristics like "look" and "feel" simply aren't good enough when trying to assess something that should be precisely metered. Hell, LS7's might even "look" and "feel" great but it doesn't matter much if they fail or don't meet your performance expectations, does it? Performance is something you can't quantify while sitting at the workbench regardless of how they look. I have a set of LS7 lifters currently, I just don't want to waste my time with something that's a move parallel to where I am. From what I've read Brian's SLR's seem to be really nice pieces - I want to be confident that I'm actually buying something better. That's all I'm saying.

Last edited by ckpitt55; 03-11-2013 at 09:03 PM.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:18 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ckpitt55
I'll be holding out for Brian's word -better part of two pages of guys and over 500 views so far on a relatively new product...there's some questions that need answered (this isn't a knock on him, I know he's busy - as is everyone else this time of year with the season fast approaching). Vague characteristics like "look" and "feel" simply aren't good enough when trying to assess something that should be precisely metered. Hell, LS7's might even "look" and "feel" great but it doesn't matter much if they fail or don't meet your performance expectations, does it? Performance is something you can't quantify while sitting at the workbench regardless of how they look. I have a set of LS7 lifters currently, I just don't want to waste my time with something that's a move parallel to where I am. From what I've read Brian's SLR's seem to be really nice pieces - I want to be confident that I'm actually buying something better. That's all I'm saying.
If you are like me then you want to do it right the first time, I can tell you right now Brian knows what he is doing and is not going to sell you junk. But, after reading about not only LS7 lifter failures, I am now worried about the plastic lifter guides letting go and the lifters spinning in the bore. There are just as many threads about this happening as there are LS7 lifter failures. So, with that being said I may go straight to the vertical link bar setup. For me its piece of mind if I want to take it to 7000 RPM and not worry about ruining my brand new engine.

It looks like I might be spending over $500 for some lifters.

http://www.briantooleyracing.com/mor...r-lifters.html
Old 03-11-2013, 09:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Theres many many people who have never had trouble with the trays. If it gives you peace of mind go for it, but those faikures are much fewer and further between than ls7 lifter failures.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:48 PM
12 Second Club

Here ya guys go, this is the email I sent on the bottom to brian in december before I bought his lifters and his response back to me on the top. Hope this helps some. His info in the link to them is descriptive too, check it out.

Hello Lorne,

I've been in the same situation as you, wanting a quality lifter without having to pay through the nose for them. dumI'm very happy to say I've found a USA manufacturer who makes some great lifters at an affordable price. dumThere's more information, pics and pricing on my website here:dumhttp://www.briantooleyracing.com/slr-hydraulic-roller-lifters.html

Let me know if you have any other questions and thanks for the opportunity to serve you.

Brian

On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 4:27 PM, Lorne Linkes <lornelinkes@yahoo.com> wrote:
Someone submitted the form from your 'Contact Us' page

A user has submitted the contact form on your store.

Here are their details:

Full Name: Lorne Linkes
Email Address: lornelinkes@yahoo.com
Company Name:
Phone Number:
Hi Brian, I have a lifter question for you. My 2002 firehawk has 40k miles on it and I'm doing some upgrades to it this winter. The main concern here is I'm running thunder racing's trex camshaft , I'm sure your familiar with it and I am going to be buying one of your spring kits and push rod sets, ill be using stock rockers, also be swapping 243 heads and ill be spinning 7k rpms . Given all that information my original plan was to run ls7 lifters but theirs so much riff raft about them that I'm unsure what I should truly do for lifters to be matched with what I am trying to do here . Can you please point me in the right direction ?
Brian Tooley Racing
http://www.briantooleyracing.com/

Brian Tooley Racing is powered by BigCommerce. Launch your own store for free with Big Commerce.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yea thats not anything we dont already know and he has some of that in the product description on his website.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:04 PM
12 Second Club

I dont know if theres much else that can be said here. No they are not $500 lifters but for $70 more than ls7 lifters and they actually have quality control I think thats worth it. Ls7's are made in bulk. These are measured and matched. Your not going to get any better than a set of btr slr lifters unless you want to spend $500.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

i plan on buying these and running them.

right after my engine quit working due to a spun bearing i found one of my rockers had play in it. the bolt was torqued. i switched the pushrods from one that wasnt loose and the play did not follow the push rod. the spring is fine. so one last thing. one of my LS7 lifters is draining too fast.

im not buying those again

slowbird the guinea pig
Old 03-11-2013, 10:37 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 96lt4c4
If you are like me then you want to do it right the first time, I can tell you right now Brian knows what he is doing and is not going to sell you junk. But, after reading about not only LS7 lifter failures, I am now worried about the plastic lifter guides letting go and the lifters spinning in the bore. There are just as many threads about this happening as there are LS7 lifter failures. So, with that being said I may go straight to the vertical link bar setup. For me its piece of mind if I want to take it to 7000 RPM and not worry about ruining my brand new engine.

It looks like I might be spending over $500 for some lifters.

http://www.briantooleyracing.com/mor...r-lifters.html
I agree with you, just wanted to hear some details from the horse's mouth so to speak. What cam lifts do you have / what are you going to be spinning to justify the link bars? Or is it mostly a peace of mind thing? What I'm wrestling with is if I really need link bars with what is a pretty mild cam in a street motor that will see 6500 max (and a very small percentage of the time, at that).

Originally Posted by Slowbird780
I dont know if theres much else that can be said here. No they are not $500 lifters but for $70 more than ls7 lifters and they actually have quality control I think thats worth it. Ls7's are made in bulk. These are measured and matched. Your not going to get any better than a set of btr slr lifters unless you want to spend $500.
For a lot of guys (including myself) this lifter is the last stop before stepping up to more expensive link bar setups - you suggest that yourself. There's nothing wrong with probing for more details here, in fact I would make the argument that it's foolish not to do so.

-We still don't know what the proper preload is
-What materials they're made from
-How effective all the tolerance matched internals are at controlling valve motion
-How fast they can be reliably spun
-How they stand up to aggressive cam profiles

Last edited by ckpitt55; 03-11-2013 at 11:44 PM.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:58 PM
12 Second Club

- Reliably spun - as stated in my email he responded to I will be spinning 7k rpm and these are what he suggested

- aggressive cam lobes - as stated in my email he responded to ill be running the trex cam and these are what he suggested. Isnt the trex cam an aggressive cam ???
Old 03-11-2013, 11:04 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Slowbird780
- Reliably spun - as stated in my email he responded to I will be spinning 7k rpm and these are what he suggested

- aggressive cam lobes - as stated in my email he responded to ill be running the trex cam and these are what he suggested. Isnt the trex cam an aggressive cam ???
How are they working for you? Oh wait...

Without data / details, all of this is purely conjecture. Nothing more.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:10 PM
On The Tree

I haven't used them yet but Brian wouldn't sell them unless they were a quality piece.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:21 PM
TECH Resident

^^not doubting that at all, I just want to know what I'm buying. I don't think that's unreasonable.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:23 PM
12 Second Club

How are they working for you? Oh wait...

Without data / details, all of this is purely conjecture. Nothing more.
You should just buy the $500 lifters because thats the quality you are wanting. No $200 lifters are not going to be as nice as the $500 lifters, thats why they are only $200. They are made with the budget builder in mind. Yes they are a step above the ls7's but no they are not as good as the $500 lifters. You get what you pay for in the end.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:41 PM
TECH Resident

I'm not interested in paying the 500 dollar premium associated with that, which I mentioned in the OP. If the SLR's are truly better than LS7's, lets hear about it. I don't understand why I'm being challenged for trying to bring some information to light here.

Last edited by ckpitt55; 03-11-2013 at 11:46 PM.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:04 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with you, just wanted to hear some details from the horse's mouth so to speak. What cam lifts do you have / what are you going to be spinning to justify the link bars? Or is it mostly a peace of mind thing? What I'm wrestling with is if I really need link bars with what is a pretty mild cam in a street motor that will see 6500 max (and a very small percentage of the time, at that).

For a lot of guys (including myself) this lifter is the last stop before stepping up to more expensive link bar setups - you suggest that yourself. There's nothing wrong with probing for more details here, in fact I would make the argument that it's foolish not to do so.

-We still don't know what the proper preload is
-What materials they're made from
-How effective all the tolerance matched internals are at controlling valve motion
-How fast they can be reliably spun
-How they stand up to aggressive cam profiles
Bump for information!

Quick Reply: Anyone running Brian Tooley SLR lifters?