Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Machine Shop Assembly of my 4.8... question about their method...

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 09:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Machine Shop Assembly of my 4.8... question about their method...

I dropped of my 2002 4.8l block and heads along with all the parts I wanted to use in the engine. Along with every brand new gasket and seal for it. I wanted the machine shop to check the block, heads , bore and so on.. everything was fine and they assembled it, and was wrapped up and put on a pallet. I paid them last Friday and they loaded the assembled long block in the back of my truck on a pallet. When I got home I unwrapped it to notice a lot of red silicone on all the gaskets... Valley cover, front timing cover and the rear cover. I didn't give them my oil pan b/c it was on order at the time. But from what I can tell it just looks like they used way too much red silicone. I know about the certain spots that is called for but not a whole brand new gasket... Whats your opinions about this? Should I take it back and have them buy new gaskets and redo the work since I supplied all the necessary new parts and gaskets. Thanks in advance and for your help and opinions.

Old 03-16-2013, 09:58 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

To me that suggests they are accustomed to old stuff with crappy gaskets. I wouldn't want them touching it again any would probably just hope for the best and never let them touch anything again.

Old stuff with sheet metal timing covers and valve covers and such sometimes needed a fair amount of silicon but even by the time the LT1 came around ends of the intake and oilpan where it met the timing cover corners and rear main adapter corners were it.
Maybe reading too much into it but that kind of silicon use makes me think they don't handle late model stuff enough to be trusted with it.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:07 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
To me that suggests they are accustomed to old stuff with crappy gaskets. I wouldn't want them touching it again any would probably just hope for the best and never let them touch anything again.

Old stuff with sheet metal timing covers and valve covers and such sometimes needed a fair amount of silicon but even by the time the LT1 came around ends of the intake and oilpan where it met the timing cover corners and rear main adapter corners were it.
Maybe reading too much into it but that kind of silicon use makes me think they don't handle late model stuff enough to be trusted with it.
I agree with you on what they are accustomed to... thats what other people have told me.

Well there was another ls engine getting built when I dropped it off, had all nice aftermarket parts going in it. Looked really good... Just at the time i figured they would be fine and let them do it all to save me some time... but I never got a price until it was all said and done with 1275 dollars. caught me off guard. ( They did buy the lifters and cam bearings and rings) everything else I supplied. Just annoyed with the fact of what I paid for and wanted used in my engine . I want my engine to last and not die b/c of some silicone falling off and getting sucked up into the oil pump.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 318 Likes on 216 Posts

Wow...can you see the inside of the cover with the pan off???

How much is oozing out on the inside???

I have a 5.3 apart right now with over 300,000 miles on it...it's a "super" budget build. I'm going to reuse all the gaskets. A little black silicone in the corners.

I thought that was one of the beauty's of these engines...reusable gaskets with out sealer???

On a side note...who uses orange/red silicone anymore these days???
Old 03-17-2013, 12:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would take it back, there is no need to use RTV for any gasket surface on these engines. You never see how much squeezes out the back and it only takes a small piece to plug a oil galley and mess the whole thing up.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:22 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyInTy
I agree with you on what they are accustomed to... thats what other people have told me.

Well there was another ls engine getting built when I dropped it off, had all nice aftermarket parts going in it. Looked really good... Just at the time i figured they would be fine and let them do it all to save me some time... but I never got a price until it was all said and done with 1275 dollars. caught me off guard. ( They did buy the lifters and cam bearings and rings) everything else I supplied. Just annoyed with the fact of what I paid for and wanted used in my engine . I want my engine to last and not die b/c of some silicone falling off and getting sucked up into the oil pump.
I'm not sure I would discount a shop's whole reputation just because they went nuts with the RTV. However, I would definitely not run it like that. Also, their price definitely seems a little high though...
Old 03-17-2013, 09:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup...That suggest they have ZERO! LS engine experience. I'm a SBC guy too and even I figured out pretty easily by what the gaskets look like they require NO RTV.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I just went through this myself, I used too much rtv on the corners of my oil pan/front cover and was afraid of it getting in the engine...

I took the oil pan off and there was a piece of rtv at the bottom of my oil pan, I had the same paranoia that you have about it getting sucked into the oil pickup...
Old 03-18-2013, 07:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

and the wizz wheel on the heads, i hate seeing that
Old 03-18-2013, 08:01 AM
Teching In

Im going to swing by there today and talk to the owner and see if they can resolve the issue. By the way this place is Engine Rebuilders INC in Trussville Alabama.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:25 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

I'd be worried about the heads being improperly torqued as well if they aren't used to LS engines, especially if you are using TTY bolts.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JakeFusion™
I'd be worried about the heads being improperly torqued as well if they aren't used to LS engines, especially if you are using TTY bolts.
That's a good point. Did you give them new bolt's to use? If not them morons probably re-used all of your old TTY bolts.

I'm still amazed that these motor's have been in cars for 17yrs and trucks for 15 and still there are countless shops that don't have a clue on how to work on them.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm still amazed that these motor's have been in cars for 17yrs and trucks for 15 and still there are countless shops that don't have a clue on how to work on them.[/QUOTE]

This goes to show that the LS engines are a very good run of engines that stay out of the repair shops.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Makes you wonder if they used rtv on the head gaskets as well.. I know its a stretch but they obviously dont work on these engines a ton
Old 03-18-2013, 03:53 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Fry_
That's a good point. Did you give them new bolt's to use? If not them morons probably re-used all of your old TTY bolts.

I'm still amazed that these motor's have been in cars for 17yrs and trucks for 15 and still there are countless shops that don't have a clue on how to work on them.
Arp head studs, arp rod bolts, only reused bolts were the mains. New comp cam installed, I gave the brand new headgaskets as well. I installed the valve guides and seals and springs before I took it to them but just had them surfaced and checked / cleaned. Did the heads before I decided to get the bottom end done. wasn't planning on doing anything to the bottom end but wanted to be safe than sorry. but looks like im still in the same boat to begin with. The engine only had 40k miles on it when I bought it.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

I highly doubt they are going to do anything for you for using excess sealent on though.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:16 AM
Teching In

Went by there monday. The engine builder wasn't there. I talked to the owner and he said thats the way they do every engine. I told him I supplied brand new gaskets and there was no need for rtv to be on it. He claimed its to make sure there are no leaks... and so on. Gave me the line I've been doing this 30yrs and never had a problem... But when i mentioned I've posted pics of the engine on the internet (facebook) and a few forums,and I wasn't the only one saying its done wrong. They said they would fix it and buy new gaskets. But I really don't even want them to mess with the engine anymore. Just going to redo it after I save my money back up. What I thought was funny, there was another Gm- Ls style engine on the work table... But thanks everyone for the input and opinions.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

what shop did it? just curious because i see youre in springville (im in leeds...)
Old 03-20-2013, 11:26 AM
TECH Resident

They charged $1275 (minus a few parts) for assembly?
Old 03-20-2013, 11:27 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by sprayedenali
what shop did it? just curious because i see youre in springville (im in leeds...)
My friend just moved from Leeds - he has a 2001 Pewter Trans Am. You may have seen it once or twice. He lived about a mile from the track.

Quick Reply: Machine Shop Assembly of my 4.8... question about their method...