Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dry sump oil change

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 06:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dry sump oil change

Anyone every changed the oil out of a dry sump? I have an ARE dry sump on my LS1 and I just changed the oil. Question is.......there is still a **** load of oil throughout everything. I emptied out the 8 quart tank then pulled the filter. Prob got about 10-11 quarts out. Thing is, I have about 8 ft of line, 3 scavenges, oil pan and obviously anything still in the motor......I know that you cant get everything out but I would like to get as much of the old oil out as possible. I started to prime the pump and it was pumping a lot more out but I stopped because I was worried about possibly burning up the pump. Maybe I'm just overreacting since I spent a hit load of money on this setup... Just curious if anyone has done it before and what your process was. Thanks.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In our Road Race Corvette with the scavenge type dry sump system I drain both the tank and the pan. (We use the peterson type inline oil filter which doesnt hold much oil). I then add 8 qts, then start it and run it for a bit, shut it off and check the level in the dry sump tank. I keep the level just under 1/2 of the depth of the three gallon tank. I check it quickly after shut off so as not to allow much drain back into the pan.

...and I still mess up sometimes and get it about a quart overfill, which it quickly pukes out. I have concluded that my system holds about 9.5 quarts total.

This is actually a tube frame, Grand Am spec racer with LS6.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I normally spin the pump with a drill after draining everything with a pan under the oil filter pad and the dry sump tank. As long as the gears inside the pump have oil on them you can't hurt them. It would probably take over an hour of turning it for any possible damage.

Kurt
Old 03-17-2013, 10:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 427
I normally spin the pump with a drill after draining everything with a pan under the oil filter pad and the dry sump tank. As long as the gears inside the pump have oil on them you can't hurt them. It would probably take over an hour of turning it for any possible damage.

Kurt
appreciate that guys. I spun the pump for a bit and weighed the oil I pulled out. Close too 24 pounds which ended up being just shy of 3 gallons. I filled the tank and primed the pump again to get oil pressure up and it took another 1 1/2 quarts before it was full. Thanks again. Just wanted to make sure I didnt mess the pump up with little oil running through it.
Old 01-03-2016, 09:34 PM
Teching In

I am doing a dry sump install. How does everyone drain the tank? Just pull the plug in the bottom? Or, can you run a short 12 AN line to a more convenient place at the bottom of the car and plug it there? Any downside to doing this? Thanks!

Quick Reply: Dry sump oil change