Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How would you spend 13 grand?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 09:30 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

13k isn't really that much if you're doing everything and starting with essentially a bone stock car.

The engine mods are the biggest single ticket items in my build, but they are less than half the cost of the total build out (not including any labor). And I'm not even building a track car with a bullet proof suspension and driveline.

The problem with doing any kind of build is there are a LOT of options for each individual component. And some combinations work better together than others.

Before you jump into the build with this client, you need to know exactly what he is looking for. Does he want something that still drives nice? Is fast on the street or at the track? If at the track, how much money does he want to drop into making it reliable and thereby eating up a good chunk of his budget?

This seems like a build that's destined to do more harm than good for the reputation of the shop.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The guy just wants it to haul *** and doesnt intend to take it to the drag strip. I'll call Texas-Speed and have them help guide us to the correct parts.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

then its a street car and id build it accordingly. no donkey dick cant idle or sit in traffic cams for sure.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EricYJ-TA
13k I would put a down payment on a house.
+1. I was going to say that originally, but I figured I would try and help the OP out.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by White6SpdZ28
Hookers and blow?
Go to Vegas, bet it all on red, and turn it into $26k (or $0) LOL.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:23 PM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

If your staying LS1, FAST 92 set up, a high 220s low 230s cam, a set of PRC 5.3s or LS6s, TSP 1 7/8s, true duals, injectors, trunions, oil pump, LS2 chain, 3600-4000k stall, cooler, if hes not going to race it you could probably get by with 373s in the 10 bolt, LCAs. Best bet is call TSP tell them the situation but first I'd get a ball park of what your going to charge in labor so you'll know what kind of budget your actually looking at. A 450rwhp LS1 with almost stock driveability is pretty doable.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by VandykeT/A
If your staying LS1, FAST 92 set up, a high 220s low 230s cam, a set of PRC 5.3s or LS6s, TSP 1 7/8s, true duals, injectors, trunions, oil pump, LS2 chain, 3600-4000k stall, cooler, if hes not going to race it you could probably get by with 373s in the 10 bolt, LCAs. Best bet is call TSP tell them the situation but first I'd get a ball park of what your going to charge in labor so you'll know what kind of budget your actually looking at. A 450rwhp LS1 with almost stock driveability is pretty doable.
We looked up the labor and to change the parts over including rear end swap looking at about $2100 in labor. Leaves roughly $10K for parts and almost a grand for odds and ends that we run into. I think 450RWHP would be enough as thats around 530 to the crank (not knowing drivetrain loss in these cars). That should haul ***. Do you guys recommend the TSP true dual setup?

Last edited by boosted330; 03-19-2013 at 01:05 PM.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:52 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

TSP true duals are awesome, yes.

Trunions are replacing the needle bearings in the rocker arms with a fully caged set-up. With today's ever increasing ramp rates on cams, it's becoming more and more common for these stock bearing to let go and spit needle bearings all throughout the motor.

450rwhp is fun, and quite easy actually....
Old 03-19-2013, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
TSP true duals are awesome, yes.

Trunions are replacing the needle bearings in the rocker arms with a fully caged set-up. With today's ever increasing ramp rates on cams, it's becoming more and more common for these stock bearing to let go and spit needle bearings all throughout the motor.

450rwhp is fun, and quite easy actually....
Ah I see! I did a few searches on Trunions. As a Ford OHC guy I never really thought about the effect high RPM with cams would have on the OHV guys. On the old pushrod Fords always just upgraded rockers and never had an issue. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 03-19-2013, 01:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

my vote would be to get rid of the autotragic and put some of that coin towards a t56 swap. a manual transmission makes a car infinitely more enjoyable to drive.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by ckpitt55
my vote would be to get rid of the autotragic and put some of that coin towards a t56 swap. a manual transmission makes a car infinitely more enjoyable to drive.
You and me both! I dont know if the guy can even drive a manual. Being that he just had his auto built I dont know if he would even be interested in the idea but I will throw it out there. I still cant get a hold of Texas Speed, line is busy every time I call.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:40 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by boosted330
You and me both! I dont know if the guy can even drive a manual. Being that he just had his auto built I dont know if he would even be interested in the idea but I will throw it out there. I still cant get a hold of Texas Speed, line is busy every time I call.
I've been getting the same thing with them as of late. Try calling Tick Performance, they are excellent to deal with.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to the board. Looks like you have a LOT of reading up to do.

Yes, the rear is a major weak link. Could you get by for a while, sure however under the levels of power we're talking about it would be wise to fix that issue first. There are several good options and if you're buying a new bolt-in manufactured rear end you should figure that will eat up almost $4K of the budget. In the absence of that modification, you'll end up in the same group as many of us -- a motor that makes plenty of power however you'll never realize the potential because you're too scared to leave the rear end at the starting line!

Outside of that, there are a bunch of great options and where you go from there should be determined by exactly what your customer wants out of the car. Track car vs. daily driver vs. blend of both. Straight line racer vs. road course car. Max effort setup vs. power under the curve setup. N/A vs. power adders. Etc. All should play into where you go next.

Ultimately, it will take some work to piece together a group of modifications that support each other and help the customer achieve his goals. There are plenty of great options for cam upgrades, heads upgrades, intake upgrades, etc. however to get optimal results you'll need a combination that works well together.

As a basis for comparison, I wanted daily driver manners from a car that will spend time on the street and on the track (both quarter mile and road courses). In order to maintain the manners I wanted and the responsiveness on the street, I increased bought heads that would increase compression to 11:1 and paired it with a relatively mild custom grind cam. The 5.3L heads from Texas Speed are a great budget piece -- sure there's more power to be had from other options, however the $1,000 I saved by not going with the higher dollar top-of-the-line options turned into a N20 setup with plenty of safety options. The LS1 intake is a bottle neck -- if you're doing heads and a cam, you'll need to upgrade the intake to a FAST (or an LS6 at a bare minimum). There are substantial power gains to be had from that. When everything was said and done, my budget build put down 440 rwhp and 408 rwtq and a little over 600 rwhp with a 150 hp shot of spray.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree. The customer needs to be practical to what he really wants. $13K is not going to build you a 600hp car especially when paying for labor. You can definitely get the power, but at the sacrifice of the transmission and reared. I suggest that he stick with a H/C/I combo and a good exhaust and be happy with 450hp. If he has any money left...rebuild the transmission.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:28 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by hiltsy855
Go to Vegas, bet it all on red, and turn it into $26k (or $0) LOL.

One hand of blackjack!
Old 03-19-2013, 06:03 PM
TECH Regular

Heck for that price you could juss find a good deal on one already built! A guy local to me juss gave 12500 for a 37000 mile SOM WS6 with h/c/I already on it!
Old 03-19-2013, 06:07 PM
On The Tree

Give Martin a call @ tick performance he should be able to help you out.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by boosted330
Any general advice would help. Before you say I apologize that I don't really have the time to deeply search through all the threads for this possibly common information. Also, I realize he said he had $13000 to spend including install, but I would like to try to guide him into possibly getting a car quick while keeping money for gas.

Thanks for the help!
OK - Give him CREDIT for his old LS1, 10-Bolt Rear, and Transmission (Rebuild, if needed, and re-sell to give a little more "working capital") . . . Take it easy on the guy, he sounds like a "first-timer" . . .

MOTOR: (392 cid)

LQ4 Block
LS6 Valley Cover
Cometic Head Gaskets
ARP Studs - Heads & Mains
Wiseco K1 3.9" Forged Crank
Wiseco K1 Forged H-Beam Rods - 6.125"
Custom Diamond Pistons (11:1 +/-)
Coated Bearings
Patrick Guerra Custom Hydraulic Roller Cam
Scoggin-Dickey CNC L92/LS3 Heads with Manley S.S. valves
Chrome-Moly Pushrods
Melling Oil Pump
F-Body Oil Pan & Pickup
Windage Tray
LS3 Intake or LSX Intake (92mm)
92mm Cable-Operated Throttle Body
Stock L92/LS3 Rocker Arms
COMP CAMS Rocker Arm Conversion Kit
Double-Roller Timing Set
ATI Super-Damper
SFI-Approved Flexplate
42-lb/hr Fuel Injectors
Dress-Up, as desired.

Exhaust: Coated Headers (1 3/4") Y-Pipe, LOUD mufflers (not my "style")
Transmission - BUILT 4L60E, 4L80E (funds permitting), or T56 ( Customer's choice -1350 Yoke)

Converter or Clutch - As Required for combo.

Rearend - (Choice, in no particular order)

Strange S60 Dana (1350 U-Joints)
Strange 9" Ford (1350 U-Joints)
Strange 12-Bolt Chevrolet (1350 U-Joints)

TRUE-TRAC Differential ( Ring & Pinion 3.43/3.54/3.70/3.73)

Driveshaft : Custom - (1350 Yokes)

If funds allow, put in a BMR "Off-Road" K-Member & Torque Arm . . . He can "finish" the suspension later, after saving up some more cash.

Enjoy & Hang On !
Old 03-19-2013, 08:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Default With All Due Respect

Hi Thomas,

If I were in your shoes, I would send him away...

He told us he has "$13,000" to put into the car to go fast, be loud and he wants use to do the research. This causes a slight problem as the shop is full of Ford guys and we don't have experience in anything other then fixing Chevy's, not necessarily making them speedy.
he already demonstrated several warnings/concerns:
- doesn't really know what he wants,
- is willing to pay for it,
- came to a Ford shop (with all due respect to you and your workmates),
- came to a repair shop (rather than a performance/speed shop),
- fast/loud research indicates he's vaguely jumping in over his head;

he will not ever know what he really wants, and he will constantly change what he requires of you, he will drive you insane, consume your time/profit...

and if/when something goes wrong, he will hang your shop in public and throw you under the proverbial bus...

bad deal for you (and him), seriously...

send him away with all his money.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:38 PM
TECH Resident

^^ wisdom

just saw the bit about the shop wanting them to do his research for him

Quick Reply: How would you spend 13 grand?