How would you spend 13 grand?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 09:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ckpitt55
^^ wisdom

just saw the bit about the shop wanting them to do his research for him
Yea, I mean they are capable of doing it.

but its a risk and can miss something so simple or put together a poor combo and then they have to warranty it and it sounds like too much of a hassle. But they might need the cash, and want the challenge..

shoot If I had 13k and a stock camaro I might just sell the camaro and go buy a 2002-2004 corvette zo6
Old 03-19-2013, 10:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Burken01

but its a risk and can miss something so simple or put together a poor combo and then they have to warranty it and it sounds like too much of a hassle. But they might need the cash, and want the challenge..

shoot If I had 13k and a stock camaro I might just sell the camaro and go buy a 2002-2004 corvette zo6
i didn't mean that as a dig at the shop, I'm sure they're capable of doing it. it was moreso a jab at the owner who is too lazy to get engaged in what's going on with his project. if it's not what he envisioned he's going to come back blaming the shop.

If I had money to waste I think I'd still build it myself. Maybe it's just me but writing a check doesn't make something "yours", the sweat of your brow does. To each his own though.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm with you ^

I didnt even want the machine shop to build my shortblock, if i had the tools and equipment I would have done it myself... I like to do "everything" now that I'm not afraid to work on my car like I used to be when I was completely green..
Old 03-20-2013, 07:44 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm with you ^

I didnt even want the machine shop to build my shortblock, if i had the tools and equipment I would have done it myself... I like to do "everything" now that I'm not afraid to work on my car like I used to be when I was completely green..
Are you doing the assembly yourself? The tools for all that stuff aren't all that unreasonable. For the same price it costs to have someone assemble your short block you can get basically every tool you need for the same price or less. If my choices are to buy a tool and learn something or pay someone else to do it, I usually go with the first choice. Unless the tool prices are ridiculous lol. If the engine's gonna blow up, I'd rather it be my fault rather than someone else not doing their job.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:29 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

13k really doesnt go very far but i honestly cannot beleive noone mentioned suspension i agree w the H/C/I w headers and a decent cat back system, if it were my money i wld do the suspension first and foremost .....its a safety thing hand over a 500rwhp car and no way to get traction both on start or stop just foolish. I would do the total suspension and then work at that 450rwhp car its really the rating right before u have to dump crazy amnts of money into trans, rearend, fuel, everything.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by joecar
Hi Thomas,
If I were in your shoes, I would send him away...

he already demonstrated several warnings/concerns:
- doesn't really know what he wants,
- is willing to pay for it,
- came to a Ford shop (with all due respect to you and your workmates),
- came to a repair shop (rather than a performance/speed shop),
- fast/loud research indicates he's vaguely jumping in over his head;

he will not ever know what he really wants, and he will constantly change what he requires of you, he will drive you insane, consume your time/profit...

and if/when something goes wrong, he will hang your shop in public and throw you under the proverbial bus...

bad deal for you (and him), seriously...

send him away with all his money.
True he doesnt really know what he wants, but we can handle the install easily enough. We are not a Ford shop either, we work on all makes and models the only thing we dont do is internal transmission work (no clean room). We work on more GM vehicle brands then all other companies combine (perhaps just the area the shop is has more GM followers?) While I do agree he should go to a specialized speed shop, this is not our first speed vehicle, other then or own personal vehicles we've had a Dodge Ram with a completely built engine with a 200shot that we ended up tuning ourselves.

With all that said, I am in talks with Texas Speed (finally got through) and they are helping price out a whole setup. I trust them as it is what they do for a living.

Also please dont take this as an attack. I understand and appricate what you are saying. As far as warranty it will be very clear that the bottom end is not under warranty and that his right foot will be what determines how long the car last.

Like I said above, Texas speed is getting us a quote on the engine, rear end, suspension and all the odds and ends to build a "all round" car. I made sure to emphasize with Aaron at Texas Speed and we both agree, a well rounded car where it can handle the power is exactly what this guy needs, not just big power that causes the car to fall apart once the gas pedal is mashed. We in depth about subframes, control arms etc.

We are a busy shop and while cash is ALWAYS great, if this car wasn't done by us it wouldn't hurt the shop not to do it. I am excited to do it as you said, the challenge is the fun part. Beats fixing Buicks and Caravans all day!

Believe me, if I had 13k cash I would be putting it towards a Zo6 too if I was a Vette guy lol. Personally no one works on my own truck but me. I dont trust anyone else with it except my coworker. Im a believer in doing it all myself too.

Quick Reply: How would you spend 13 grand?