Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 09:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 911 Likes on 651 Posts

I hope they are OK! Keep us updated.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's odd. Do you have pictures? I was just going to say that that pin is WAY too big to be a rocker needle bearing.

What's mysterious is what caused the pump to shell....I suspect if in fact that pin is from a lifter, it was not the cause of the pump failing, but a result from the pump failing. You may be lucky and all you need to do is swap the pump. You will find out once you start digging into it.

I would pull the front cover, take off/out the rockers and push rods, pull the cam.

Please post pics, I'm so curious as to the cause of this failure. Since it was not making any strange noises...I'm baffled.

Last edited by badazz81z28; 04-02-2013 at 09:35 PM.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what pictures do you want to see. I have the pieces of the pump in a pile again. I wasnt able to get all of them cause I cant get the crank pulley bolt loose. If the lifter is not suspect to fail the pump, what would cause the pump to explode? It did sit for 5 weeks then I just drove, I actually may have reved it a bit because the idle quality is not so good! I can take some pics of the bottom area of the timing cover but just picture it not there, lol!
Old 04-03-2013, 06:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Lifter roller pin -> oil pump carnage (but I can't see how it would have gotten past the oil pickup screen).
Old 04-03-2013, 08:25 PM
On The Tree

I havent gotten any more removal done. The guy I bot the car from built the car. ALOT of amature work I have noticed! I could only assume that he reused a bad oil pickup with a hole in the screen. I am pretty sure that the pin is a lifter roller pin. Looking at it, I cant figure out anything else out what it could could be. Does anyone have a bad lifter that they could pull apart to take a picture of the pin?

So far on the motor I have noticed:
-the intake vac port for the fuel evap is cracked badly but covered with rtv.
-head bolts inside the valve covers are orange with paint but flaking off, noticed some paint in the oil.
-rtv used in a street car for exhaust gaskets.
-crack on timing cover, again rtv used to fix it.
-oil pan bolts missing
-timing cover bolt behind water pump is backed out touching water pump.

I imagine as I break more down I will find more issues. The guy I bought it from was/is a member on here, but I found the car local to me. I am hoping that these issues are all I will find wrong with it once I dig further!
Old 04-03-2013, 08:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by joecar
Lifter roller pin -> oil pump carnage (but I can't see how it would have gotten past the oil pickup screen).
That's why I stated the that. There no way possible that pin made it through the pick-up. It would have been stopped by the screen. Now if the screen was missing, that's another story....
Old 04-06-2013, 05:08 PM
On The Tree

I am leaning to the side of the oil pump just exploded! I took a head off and inspected 8 lifters and look good. too the pump off and really couldnt tell what happened! Just blew up. I am gonna pull the other head tomorrow and see if a lifter maybe dropped its pin. The heads are good, 8 lifters good, all the rollers are sitting on the cam like they should be looking at the cam from the one side I have the head of off. I am quite baffled. There was some signifigant wear on the timing cover from the double timing chain, maybe some metal got into the pump there. That pin might just be a part of the oil pump after it blew up. I will pull the other head tomorrow then pull the motor out, I got new motor mounts to install so might as well be safe and inspect all the rod and main bearings! Is the slp oil pump known for its explosive qualities?
Old 04-06-2013, 10:29 PM
TECH Resident

Damn man keep us posted
Old 04-06-2013, 11:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Pics of oil pump carnage...?

Maybe that pin is from the timing chain...?
Old 04-07-2013, 01:45 PM
On The Tree

SO... I am not doing any work today, lazy sunday! but I took some pics of the damage. The timing chain is intact actuall it doesnt have a scratch! Not really sure where the piece came from, I am thinking that it could have been left in the motor from the previous owner that built the engine. It would be on par for his craftmanship!

Old 04-07-2013, 01:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Wow that's impressive. I wonder if some of the metal from where the timing chain was rubbing against the cover got in the oil pump and locked it up.
Old 04-08-2013, 04:54 AM
On The Tree

That is what I was thinking . There was metal on the pickup tube when the pump came off.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:45 PM
On The Tree

I am gonna pull the motor the rest of the way on Saturday start the tear down hopefully no more damage.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Talking Just my $.02..

Engine comes out, completely disassembled....At this point, you have NO IDEA as to what other damage may be done w/ the trash being slung around. A lifter/roller failure could well eat enuf cam lobe to put a hurting on the bearings, well B4 the roller axle got to the pump, and stopped oil flow.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

+1 you want to find the cause to prevent history repeating itself.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:24 PM
On The Tree

For sure engine is coming out and disassembled, checked and cleaned! I believe the pin found was off of the camshaft, and the eaten up timing cover mixed with an old oil pump is the cause of the oil pump failure! The previous owner said it was SLP oil pump, it was not! I assume it was the stock unit and the car has 110k on it! I got a melling high volume oil pump(new) and a timing cover from a buddy for $50, so life is a bit better! I will pull motor, disassemble and take pics of damage. I am gonna drop the crank off at the machine shop to be checked monday. I sure hope it was not previously turned because the only clevite H series bearings are .010 oversize.

Is the alignment pin broken off of the cam going to be game over for the cam?
Old 04-11-2013, 07:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

A competent machine shop "should" be able to drill the pin out and press a new one in.
Old 04-13-2013, 05:19 PM
On The Tree

WELL... I removed a bunch of stuff and was pulling the motor out and my cherry picker is 2 feet too short. the bottom is touching the bumper and the arm isnt at the front of the motor! I guess I will drop it out! I did find a chunk of the oil pump in the valley! I think this is going to be a complete rebuild!
Old 04-13-2013, 06:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by southernculture
WELL... I removed a bunch of stuff and was pulling the motor out and my cherry picker is 2 feet too short. the bottom is touching the bumper and the arm isnt at the front of the motor! I guess I will drop it out! I did find a chunk of the oil pump in the valley! I think this is going to be a complete rebuild!
If your going to go this deep into it, you might as well do a complete rebuild. It would suck if you fixed only what you saw and have something go wrong again.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:01 PM
On The Tree

So the motor is out and disassembled. Crank went to machine shop and is fine. the rods and pistons fine. block fine. 1 and 2 main bearings bad and 1,2,3,4 rod bearings bad. I am gonna order new rod and main bearings, and a set of headgaskets. I have a melling high volume pump and timing cover already. Hopefully I can get this back togother soon, but the weather is nice to ride my bike almost everyday here! I will post some assembly pics once it goes back togother!

Quick Reply: 2000 trans am stroker 8k miles o oil psi