Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans AM 2002

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 05:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Putt a Borla muffler on there, it will be loud with good tone.

Honestly, I can't stand the sound of a Flowmaster on the LS1...Flowmaster sounds better on a Mustang, not on the 5.7 F-body.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by demonoidcreeper
hey nohope what is a good exhaust to use I want something loud and good performance?!?!?!?!?
Putting headers alone on it will make it loud and add lots of power. Texas Speed & Performance makes some good headers, or Hooker, or Pacesetter. I would avoid SLP headers though, I've heard they have poor fitment and low clearance issues. Whatever headers you get, don't ever get shorty's or the mid length ones, just get long tubes.

As for exhaust systems, if you can afford it, get a true dual exhaust system. BEST sound in my opinion, if you must stick with the y-pipe SLP Loudmouth 1 is a very loud catback, SLP Loudmouth 2 is decent in sound, most people prefer Magnaflow though. Borla exhaust has the BEST sound in the y-pipe catbacks though.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're new to here when referring to hp goals most people on here go by rwhp numbers. I am not sure if thats what you meant or if you were talking about engine hp. 400 motor could basically be reached with all the bolt ons. 400whp will take that and a decent size cam.

First things first I would just spend alot of time on here reading threads, and when you think you have read enough read some more lol. Start with going through the stickies.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:37 AM
Staging Lane

yeah the V6 has been gone since November and I purchased this one then!

Whats yalls opinion on Magnaflow thinking of going with that instead?
Old 03-27-2013, 11:39 AM
Staging Lane

Instead of the flowmaster thats on it!
Old 03-27-2013, 11:43 AM
Staging Lane

Sorry ment 400 RWHP, what would that put the engine at in hp Then? Also with all the added HP I will have traction issues, already to as it is at take off, you kind of have to ease off the line then punch it! with addition of more hp I see this problem increasing. Do they have something you can do not help that other than lowering the psi of the rear tires or getting wider tires!!!
Old 03-27-2013, 11:54 AM
Staging Lane

Well i have done alot of video watching on comparing flowmaster, magna flow and borla, they all sound great but the sound that I think is best and is what Im looking for is the magna flow, to me it sounds like an old school muscle car with that aggressive deep louder sound! Just sounds cleaner to me!
Old 03-27-2013, 12:30 PM
On The Tree

Well i have done alot of video watching on comparing flowmaster, magna flow and borla, they all sound great but the sound that I think is best and is what Im looking for is the magna flow, to me it sounds like an old school muscle car with that aggressive deep louder sound! Just sounds cleaner to me!
You wouldn't happen to be from Huntsville, Alabama would you? My friend just bought a Black '02 T/A WS-6 and is going for 400whp as well. What are the odds.

*For quote above, go true duals and go with the Magnaflow 14419's.

*Since you have the '02 T/A then you already have the LS6 intake. This is money saved already.

*If money is tight, then I would go with the Texas Speed and Performance 1-7/8" Headers. Around the same power gains as some of the bigger names for much less money.

*Piping? Honestly depends on what you want. H-Pipe for more low-end torque. X-Pipe for more horsepower up top. My .02, for 300 bucks for piping plus 160 for mufflers, why spend 700 on a catback when you can have true duals for 460 alone in parts and more horsepower/better sounding exhaust.

*Heads? I went with the 243 heads. They can be purchased for around 500. If you decide to go bigger later on, you could always send them into Advanced Induction and get 30 more whp by having them ported.

*Cam? Tick Performance has some really nice cams that get really great track times. Just talk to Martin @ Tick Performance. Should be fairly easy to find one of his posts on here. Very knowledgeable guy.

Just my .02. There's countless ways you can set these cars up.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:43 PM
Staging Lane

Appreciate the input 98WS6Hville
Actually not from huntsville, from BHam was their 8 years and loved it!
Old 03-27-2013, 03:04 PM
On The Tree

Awesome! I've got my current setup right now posted in my sig. I'm about to do another build, basically because I want more power. My advice would be to think hard on what you want. Do it once, do it right. The moderators here are very helpful and are very friendly on PM. I know I've talked to a few and they've answered most of my questions.

You may be decently fast in a few months, but want more later. As opposed to much faster 1 year later with much nicer parts that you saved for. Just think about it. Oh, and good luck with the build! It takes a while to get everything assembled but DEFINITELY worth it! You will get a LOT more compliments about you TA with the new build!
Old 03-27-2013, 03:31 PM
10 Second Club

Sorry ment 400 RWHP, what would that put the engine at in hp Then? Also with all the added HP I will have traction issues, already to as it is at take off, you kind of have to ease off the line then punch it! with addition of more hp I see this problem increasing. Do they have something you can do not help that other than lowering the psi of the rear tires or getting wider tires!!!
If you get a good set of drag shocks and a lca relo brackets and upraded lcas and a good drag radial you'll probably cut down poor traction. As far as getting you to 400rwhp if you have a good flowing exhaust and intake and the right cam setup with a good tune you should hit a modest 400. I like how the stainless works chambered exhaust sounds myself but its pretty pricey. I've got big tsp headers and a 3" tsp flow through exhaust and it sounds decent.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:51 PM
Staging Lane

Appreciate all the input! what size heads com on a 2002 trans am??? Saw some on ebay and their were two differnt sizes just wanted to know what IO have
Old 03-29-2013, 02:56 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Auto or manual? Budget? That would help a lot but you can do it cam only. I did over 400rwhp with a fast intake on 241 heads through a auto.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:12 PM
10 Second Club

241 heads stock I think
Old 03-29-2013, 06:45 PM
Staging Lane

yeah its a 2002 Trans am Automatic!!
Old 03-30-2013, 06:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I finally broke the 400 mark. See sig.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Burken01
slp loudmouth 1, its loud
Yea the SLP loudmouth with long tubes and no cats is very defining and has a machine gun sound at around 2500 rpms. I left my uncle's house and he could still hear me at around 8 miles away on a calm quiet day. If you want good flowing and loud that's for you.

Drue Duals is where its at though
Old 03-30-2013, 09:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WS6ICK2k
Yea the SLP loudmouth with long tubes and no cats is very defining and has a machine gun sound at around 2500 rpms. I left my uncle's house and he could still hear me at around 8 miles away on a calm quiet day. If you want good flowing and loud that's for you.

Drue Duals is where its at though
Heres mine with the loudmouth. I have a Jeep as my daily driver so I left it on after heads/cam.

Old 03-31-2013, 12:48 PM
Staging Lane

Ok so here is a video of my trans am as of now with the exhaust ive been talking about, I think its a flow master don't really know I know it sounds decent. See what you guys think, should I leave it and cut out the cats, or go with a magnaflow with four tips and cut out the cats?????

sorry it wouldn't let me upload on here
Old 03-31-2013, 12:48 PM
Staging Lane

o never mind it popped up with the link, cool

Quick Reply: Trans AM 2002